Avocados: Small or Large?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to crunch some numbers to see which is a better deal.

Small #1:
Total weight: 131.8g
Pit: 22.5g
Editable flesh: 90g.
Flesh ratio: 68%
Cost: $0.50 ea.
Editable flesh cost/g: 0.56 cents/g

Small #2:
Total weight: 150g
Pit: 28.4g
Editable flesh: 85g.
Flesh ratio: 57%
Cost: $0.50 ea.
Editable flesh cost/g: 0.59 cents/g

Large:
Total weight: 289.2g
Pit: 49.6g
Editable flesh: 102g
Flesh ratio: 35.3%
Cost: $1.68 ea.
Edible flesh cost/g: 1.65 cents/g

Smaller pits are better of course. Surprised the smaller ones were the better deal, at least in this case. Interesting that....

I would just buy what you need and not look at anything else.Its only a savings if you can eat them before they spoil. I buy 5 a week and throw one a day in a blender with bananas,wheatgrass,flaxseed,whey,ice,frozen fruits and frozen yogurt and the avocado makes it worth the entire deal. I'm try to grow them now lol.Got like 50 pit seeds.

decisions, decisions...
of course, the ripe one!

for pit growing i suggest you watch "RED I": if Bruce Wills can do it, then you can do it for sure... i mean is not stellar travel, isn't it? :)-P)

Get the oblong shaped avocados rather than the rounder ones. They tend to have a smaller pit to flesh ratio.

Smaller avocados seem to be better for eating. Less stringy and better tasting. I have a buddy that owns an orchard and a fat dog. The dog eats them when they fall to the ground.
grin.gif

now that is funny..a dog that eats avocado's...i bet he is a full happy dog. i'm not sure if my dog would like avocado
smile.gif

i have never done a cost analysis on avocados that is very interesting. my largest challenge is always finding avocado's that are not rock hard. that having been said i usually put non ripe avocados in a bag with a banana, it ripens them up usually over night if they are not too green.

Last edited:
Here there are bins of two sizes, side-by-side: One small, the other large. Always wondered which was the better deal when stripped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back