It takes 4 rotors to make Rotaries sound OK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I just can't get behind the high-pitched whine of tiny engines at ultra-high RPM.

I'm not knocking the car, just that it sounds like a weed-whacker on steroids.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Sorry, I just can't get behind the high-pitched whine of tiny engines at ultra-high RPM. I'm not knocking the car, just that it sounds like a weed-whacker on steroids.

I'm the same way. Give me a throaty, normally aspirated pushrod V-8 over these pressurized little, screaming buzz bombs, that have no longevity what so ever. They're not practical on the street. Try to trade in a turbo with 80,000 miles on it. They'll give you nothing because everything under the hood is timed out, and ready to go south..... At an ungodly expense to repair. Sadly that's the way the industry is going. These engines are about as disposable as toilet paper.... And last just about as long.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Give me a throaty, normally aspirated pushrod V-8 over these pressurized little, screaming buzz bombs, that have no longevity what so ever.
Testify, my brother!

I love the 787B - that wail is music to my ears
banana2.gif

26B 4-rotor. 160 cubic inches displaced per crankshaft revolution. Equivalent to a 5.2L V8. And that sound was through mufflers. Wankels are just too loud without mufflers. Even enthusiasts can't stand the noise.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: billt460
Give me a throaty, normally aspirated pushrod V-8 over these pressurized little, screaming buzz bombs, that have no longevity what so ever.
Testify, my brother!

I am a sucker for a throaty V8 also. Something like a well built 427 FE is a sweet...or mean sounding thing.

I still think the 20B 3 rotor is one of the best sounding engines out there. 1JZ is a close second. 12 valve VR6 third.

Rotary engines are the answer to a question no one ever asked.

For good-sounding engines, watch Bullitt or the original Vanishing Point from '71.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
26B 4-rotor. 160 cubic inches displaced per crankshaft revolution. Equivalent to a 5.2L V8. And that sound was through mufflers. Wankels are just too loud without mufflers. Even enthusiasts can't stand the noise.

Truth.

I had two stages of mufflers on mine. The center "first stage" muffler got so hot from the typical high rotary EGTs that it turned bright blue in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back