Engine oil accidently added into transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Had a relative call and ask what to do about this. Car is a Toyota Corolla auto trans. He evidently added 1/2 qt of motor oil into the transmission. Got confused I guess.
The engine hasn't been started yet, so it hasn't circulated/mixed. I suggested draining the trans and refilling with ATF. Maybe even running a Qt or two of ATF through trans to help flush any remnants of motor oil.

Would this be good advise? Any comments/suggestions on this would be appreciated.

A Corolla should have a drain plug, so the fix could be as easy as pulling the plug and draining the oil as you said. Make sure he does not start it.

Since he made this mistake, I assume the trans has a dipstick. What year is the car?

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
A Corolla should have a drain plug, so the fix could be as easy as pulling the plug and draining the oil as you said. Make sure he does not start it.

Since he made this mistake, I assume the trans has a dipstick. What year is the car?

Just checked and the car is a 2009. The dipstick, I'm not sure about. Wish I could take a look for myself, but I'm in Tx and the car is in Cal.
I'm still thinking since he realized his mistake and didn't start it, that a drain (and refill) of the ~2-3 Qts would do it. I suppose he could drive it someplace for a full flush just to be sure.

I appreciate the input.

I have a 2010 Vibe, which should have the same drivetrain as his '09 Corolla. Mine has the 4-speed U341E transmission and 1.8 engine. (If his is 5-speed auto, the requirements could be different.)

For the 4-speed, he will need a ratchet and a 10mm Allen socket to remove the drain plug.
Have him get 4 quarts of fluid, Toyota WS or Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Some Wal-Marts sell Maxlife in gallon jugs.

The transmission pan is on the driver's side. If he's not a big fella, he might even be able to drain it without jacking up the car.

About 3 quarts should come out, maybe just a bit more considering the 1/2 quart he added.

The plug will have an aluminum gasket. If the trans has never been drained, he should be able to re-use it. NAPA has a replacement, #ATM PB2403.

I would dump about a quart of fluid down the dipstick tube before reinstalling the plug, to flush out the motor oil a little more.

Then reinstall the plug and add about 2.5 quarts of fluid. Run the engine and check the dipstick to adjust fluid level from there. The published pan drain capacity for the 4-speed is 2.6 or 2.7 quarts. (I think the 5-speed takes a little more.)

He should be good to go if he can drain the pan without ever starting the car and mixing the oil throughout the trans. If he notices any strange trans behavior after draining and getting the fluid level right, have him drain and refill the pan again.

I'd think it'd dump straight into the pan, so a pan drop would likely get the majority out. Not sure if engine oil is bad inside the trans.

Not sure how one does that accidentally, but we've all had bad days.

Depending upon the miles a "flush" may be a good idea too. Pop the lines from the ATF cooler and let it pump out the old while dumping in new. I'd give that serious thought, after doing the pan drop and refill.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic

I would dump about a quart of fluid down the dipstick tube before reinstalling the plug, to flush out the motor oil a little more.

Good idea, didn't think of that one.

I would take this opportunity to drop the pan and change the filter if it has never been done. Although given the man dumped engine oil into the transmission, he may not possess the skills needed for that.

If this is a torque converter auto transmission, half quart engine oil in 7 or 8ish ATF sump size, it wouldn't matter, as higher concentration of engine oil detergents/dispersants would've been diluted.
I would just leave it alone.
That's just me.
smile.gif

Edit:Arco, concur with you.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
i don't think that trans has a filter - i believe aisin pretty much went to rock-catchers.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2009,corolla,1.8l+l4,1442416,transmission-automatic,filter,8600

It has a filter, as does my slightly older 2006 Yota. I change the filter every 40k miles.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
DO Not Drive This Car you Must do at least 5 drain and fills this is a bad mistake and will destroy the clutches

You can't overthink this one but you can underthink this one.

crazyoildude is correct in that engine oil can destroy the clutches.

IF the engine has NOT been run drain immediately and as one other person said pour a quart of ATF down it and then remove the pan.

If the engine has been run, do as crazyoildude stated or have a complete off-line exchange done by a mechanic or transmission shop.

Last edited:
Yes - however the car sits low to the ground ... If starting it to put on ramps is off limits - tow truck.

I appreciate all the suggestions. As mentioned above, don't know how someone puts engine oil into the transmission, but we've all done goofy stuff at one time or another. I've personally lost 5 Qts of motor oil onto the garage floor years ago by forgetting to install the drain plug.

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that draining what's in the pan and refilling will probably be ok. And I like the idea of dumping a Qt down the dipstick tube.
Went up to visit the local small town oil change place a few minutes ago. They suggest dumping and refilling, then driving to some place that can do complete ATF change done. ~$150 here in Tx, no telling what it is in Cal.

Thanks again folks. You've been very helpful. I'll pass this info on.

Last edited:
Drain it all overnight from drain plug..that should get 99% of it out and use 1 qt new atf as mentioned to run clean fluid through it. Than refill and you should be good to go. I wouldnt change the filter. I have never changed mine and Toyota doesnt typically bother either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back