Sea foam for my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I think I got a bad batch of gas here lately and I was wondering if sea foam is safe to use in my 13 civic LX? A buddy mechanic of mine told me to pour a bottle of sea foam in the gas saying it will fix a "watery" gas tank. I'm kind of on the edge about using it but idk. What do you think?

Car is in my sig

Don't know about taking care of the bad fuel in your tank but Seafoam won't hurt anything in your engine anyway so give it a shot

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Hey guys I think I got a bad batch of gas here lately and I was wondering if sea foam is safe to use in my 13 civic LX? A buddy mechanic of mine told me to pour a bottle of sea foam in the gas saying it will fix a "watery" gas tank. I'm kind of on the edge about using it but idk. What do you think?

Car is in my sig
do yo run E10 gas? as it alone can suspend alot of water Sea Foam won't hurt a thing.

I've used Seafoam in MANY engines and vehicles. have yet to notice any differences before vs. after... but it does work well enough as a fuel preservative. Personally, I prefer Stabil Marine for that though.

The thing is I can tell that there is a slight stutter or hesitation in the motor at about 50-60mph and it's not constant. About every couple of minutes and going up hills I can feel that stutter or hesitation. It is just enough that I can feel it and not bad enough that it shakes the car or anything. I just put new oem plugs in It Less than 10k miles ago and they are rated for 105k miles. They were correctly gapped as well because I checked with a gauge before installation. All I can do is narrow it down to a bad batch of gas. There's no light on the dash to indicate anything.

I can't stand knowing something isn't right is all. It's my only vehicle and I have to depend on it and it always gets the best of everything(still oem at this point).

Negative I run 93 octane
If it is E0 and water suspect I'd run bottle Iso-Heet cost ya about a dollar and I'd bet be more effective.

Also the reason I'm hesitant as well about putting sea foam in my gas tank is because when doing research on it, for every one good opinion about it, there were at least 5-6 bad opinions/experiences with it. I understand that when it is doing its job by way of cleaning, it can dislodge deposits and build up and cause a clogged failure elsewhere which speaks to the product doing its job but having put it in an older vehicle or a poorly maintained vehicle where build up is more prevelant will cause an issue after use.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
Why would you run 93 octane in a car that only requires 87?

Simply because I have always been told that running the best octane I can afford is better for the motor because it "burns cleaner". I do t know if there is truth to that or not but after 25+ years of hearing it I figured there has to be some truth to it. I've been running 93 octane in my car for 102k miles now.

On gasoline - I run a TT (big name) the exact octane in owners manual. Most often the "regular" which tends to be the freshest fuel at the outlet since they sell the most.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
On gasoline - I run a TT (big name) the exact octane in owners manual. Most often the "regular" which tends to be the freshest fuel at the outlet since they sell the most.

I've been told about that from my mechanic buddy because he said it doesn't have to set up since it sells the most. I'll try my next fill up with the 87 and see if it makes a difference.

I haven't checked into that stuff yet but I do know my Walmart has it
If it's just water issue it's all you need.

SeaFoam won't fix a tank of bad gas. I don't know why you would make that correlation. If there's actually water in the gas, use some type of drygas for a tank or two but don't overdo it.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
Why would you run 93 octane in a car that only requires 87?

Simply because I have always been told that running the best octane I can afford is better for the motor because it "burns cleaner". I do t know if there is truth to that or not but after 25+ years of hearing it I figured there has to be some truth to it. I've been running 93 octane in my car for 102k miles now.

That was my question also. Running 93 all this time in a car that does not require it has, if anything, hurt your fuel mileage and made your wallet lighter. It may even affect it's overall performance negatively. You've fallen victim to the fuel companies' marketing.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

I've been told about that from my mechanic buddy because he said it doesn't have to set up since it sells the most. I'll try my next fill up with the 87 and see if it makes a difference.

Make sure it E10 to clean up water if it was present it will suspend it.

Why not syphon the suspect fuel out of your car? Round up a few jerry cans (borrow some from friends).

Get her as empty as you can. Fill back up a quarter of the way and add a bottle of Cevron Techron Concentrate then drive locally for a while and see if things clear up.

I say this because you say you think you got bad gas. Where'd you get a bad load of fuel?

Also, you might be able to see globs of water in the jerry cans. If it all looks clear and has no "weird zone" on the jugs' bottoms you likely didn't get bad fuel.

A bad crank positioning sensor can cause intermittent stutters and there's not always a code attached until it happens several times. Plug her in and see if there are any pending.

I gotta agree with not buying fuel of an octane your engine does not need. Kira

ps When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? (always my thing to ask)

87 octane is much better for your vehicle than 93. I would drain the "bad fuel" and put fresh 87 in it. Seafoam won't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back