Battery dead on new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the battery died on my 2015 Camry. Sounds like a machine gun. It sat for 6 days in my garage while I went away. Battery at 10.6V.

It's a Johnson Controls battery distributed by Toyota.

Called up my dealer and they said they could send a tow truck. I asked if they would reimburse me the cost of a new battery if I changed it out myself. They had transferred me to a few people and eventually to Finance. He said the battery warranty was between the battery mfg and me just like tires. The dealer was not involved. I said that didn't make any sense. He backed off a little and basically said to have it towed in and go from there because if I changed it out myself, I'd have to fight for reimbursement.

Sounds like they'll get warranty repair fees for towing, testing (possibly repairing the charging system) and battery replacement.

If it is deigned your fault the battery was drained there might be issues.

Was the battery in your car dated?

I'm a firm believer in dealership monkeys swapping a good battery (from a car in the lot) for a marginal one (in one of their own cars).

Let them tow it in. They need to go through the motions.

10.6 volts is a shorted cell, an anomaly. "Infant mortality" in production.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
All that trouble for a new battery. I would just buy a new JC battery from AAP and use 40% discount code.

You're right. It is a lot of trouble for a new battery. I was hoping to meet them halfway and just pay for a new battery but they want to do the towing and all that rigamarole.

I'm charging the battery now. Don't have time to deal with tow trucks and such tomorrow. I have work meetings to call in to.

I can only find a 30% code online. Where do I find a 40% code?

Last edited:
I had to change out a battery in a 1 yr old car myself, in the dealer's driveway, because they wanted to charge me labor.
If I'm paying the shop an hour's labor I want more done than wrenching a 10mm nut any 8 year old can do to his bicycle.

Does the factory battery not have a 3 year free replacement warranty? That's how it is with Honda.

I think the battery is covered under the 3 yr / 36000 mile warranty. The finance guy must be so used to telling people "no" he can't help himself.

Doesn't matter if it has a 3/36 or not, batteries are prorated.
I had a situation on a 6 month old Ford truck that I bought new.
It refused to start. I jumped it and got it to the dealer. They claimed it was the battery.
Not covered by factory warranty. They were going to charge me enough for a prorate, that I went down to NAPA and bought a new battery, had a warranty (their prorated one would not have had one) and saved money.
Two weeks later it did it again.
This time, they came to the conclusion that it was a defective starter. They replaced the starter. No more issues.
Replaced a perfectly good battery for nothing.
They couldn't understand why I was P.O.'d.
Nice people but intellectually challenged compared to a box of rocks.

I would just buy a new JC battery at Walmart and install yourself. Almost every time one of my cars went to the dealer it was damaged in some way. Just spend the $150 and do it yourself.

I remember when Toyota used Panasonic batteries in the 90s. They lasted 10-12 years no problem .

Originally Posted By: dcf
I remember when Toyota used Panasonic batteries in the 90s. They lasted 10-12 years no problem .

Yup, and Honda used to use Yuasa batteries................ which also lasted longer than most.

Those were the days - but no more.

are you sure you didnt leave a dome light on?

It is pretty easy to leave a map light or hatch light on in my subaru.. and its not controlled by the auto power off.. like a door ajar would be.

Also there are no bumper to bumper warranties anymore.

There are "manufacturer limited warranties"

For example hyundai gives 2 years on radio and battery.
"america's best warranty my arse"

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Mr Nice said:

I can only find a 30% code online. Where do I find a 40% code?

TRT41
You have to be a speedperks member to use it (it is free to join).
I have used it twice in the past week (battery and spark plugs).

Car batteries today are not deep cycle units like golf cart or trolling motor batteries. One near total discharge and they often quit for good. AGM batteries are an exception.

I bought a new battery at AAP. Thanks, Blu but too late.
frown.gif

She fires right up with the new battery.

Didn't know there is an engine shut off if the hood is open. Started it with the hood up and it started and immediately shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back