BMW’s Remote 3D View

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do they make "bird’s eye view of the car" in real time likes the one shown in a smart phone ?

Quote:
Remote 3D View system that will be available on the new 5 Series when it launches next year. Remote 3D View allows drivers to get a 360-degree 3D view of a car on their smartphones.

The system appears to work like the existing in-car Surround View setup, which gives the driver a 360-degree bird’s eye view of the car on the dashboard screen during low-speed maneuvers. Several carmakers offer similar systems, but BMW may be the first to try to export the feature to smartphones. But how will BMW drivers use that ability?

P90231057_highRes_remote-3d-view-08-20.jpg

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/bmw-5-series-remote-3d-view/

My guess is that it pieces together a 360 degree image of the surroundings taken from the car's cameras, then superimposes an image of the vehicle to simulate a "birds-eye" view.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
My guess is that it pieces together a 360 degree image of the surroundings taken from the car's cameras, then superimposes an image of the vehicle to simulate a "birds-eye" view.

You got it. 4 wide angle cameras are used for imaging. Those images are then angle and focus corrected into a top down view.

Originally Posted By: Padawan

That's exactly how our Escalade 360 camera system works and it looks exactly like that. I don't see any benefit of BMW allowing you to look at your car on your phone since it doesn't show the actual car....so you cannot really "keep an eye out" on your car as you're just seeing a rendition of a vehicle. All you will be able to see is the surrounding areas. Not to mention battery drain. Worthless feature in my opinion but people will fall for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back