rain rusted rotors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A repeating problem I have (because I have multiple vehicles that end up sitting for months to years/inherited vehicles that I need to fix stuff on and finally sell but couldn't get around to because too busy and didn't want to dump for nothing in their broken condition) is vehicles that have the rotors go rusty from the rain...

I'm wondering if there's any way to prevent this by putting it into storage some different way/spraying something on there. (preferably that doesn't become a PITA to remove)

I'm wondering the best solution to fix it without replacing everything - like could I just have the rotors turned and re-burn in the existing pads to the freshened up rotor face? If they were old/used up I wouldn't but i'm talking several cases of nearly new rotors and pads, parked a year, and back to rustygrindy again.

Should I just drive with the pedal held down to try and scrape burn off the rust?

I use Rust Block for odds and ends - water based, non flammable - some O'Reilly stores have it - I got it on Amazon ...

The thing I'd worry about is any oil like product soaking into the pads. I've got fluid film on y brakes before and it will burn off alright- but I don't let it set there for months like that.

I am aware of the product linked below, but have no idea if it would prevent your problem of heavy rust on long term stored vehicle rotors. Call the distributor and get his opinion.

http://www.brakesilencer.com/

In his instructions for eliminating brake noise: " You can spray a light coat of GWR "Silencer" on calipers and the entire rotor, to eliminate rusting in harsh environments or extended winter storage periods. It will leave a beautiful silver appearance that last for years because it's impervious to water, snow, salt, heat, cold and other conditions. Additionally, it does not get sticky or effect brake action so you don't have to remove it before putting stored vehicles into service each season."

There is no good 'fix' for this except driving the vehicles a little more often.

I wouldn't spray anything on a braking surface, that's nuts.

Originally Posted By: buck91
The thing I'd worry about is any oil like product soaking into the pads. I've got fluid film on y brakes before and it will burn off alright- but I don't let it set there for months like that.

I admit to spraying the rotor, pins, caliper and pads with FF. quiets an annoyinbg clunk between the rusted rotor and 20" rims. Burns off quick, nothing scary happens.

If you have cars that sit for months or years without being driven, normal rust on the rotors is the least of your problems. This is really a non issue.

Last edited:
Yeah, you can probably paint the rotor hats, but of course remember to cover the friction surface of the rotor when doing so.

And when you do replace the rotors, get Centric Premium
smile.gif

The rust will help wear glaze off the pads before it quickly wears off the rotors. I live near the ocean, with the right wind conditions rotors can show rust over night. A couple of normal stops and it's gone.

Last edited:
This is a non issue, everyone's car gets rusty rotors from the rain.
As soon as you drive it's gone by the first stop. Unless it's been sitting for a long time. Then it's a few stops.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Nothing to worry about, as all rotors will oxidize(rust)
a bit after a rain.

It is when there is a layer that it sounds like a grinder.. where it's no longer smooth feeling.

Originally Posted By: user52165
If you have cars that sit for months or years without being driven, normal rust on the rotors is the least of your problems. This is really a non issue.

I know but it's the immediate issue affecting me. Life became a nightmare after my parents died as I ran myself ragged trying to handle what they left along with my own medical needs and work in a third place. So the least important stuff just sat since I couldn't sell it for anything in the sahpe it was in.

Anyway I went to restart vehicle #2 and I get the grindy grindy from the rotors, and realized those brakes were [censored] near new/I just did them not long before I was forced to park the car for something else failing and not having the tools or time to fix that before resuming paying work.

So i'm wondering if a quick turning of the rotors can be used with the 'old' (still mostly new, but admittedly was bedded in properly to the rotor surface it had before) pads. And if there's a way I can stop it from happening again next round because even after car #2 works I have others to try fix too just to get out of here.

You are right to pursue this. Cars get "lot rot" at the dealer which is the same problem. The rust can tunnel into the iron and not scrape clear; you then get a cheese grater that wrecks pads.

I would use something nearly useless like WD-40.

I parked my summer car all winter, outside, unprotected, and everything cleared up with a couple normal stops.

I tried driving the car up to 40mph with some firm stops - and it wouldn't stop firm at all. Wiped off some of the rust, but instead of cheese grater its like it just floats above the surface and doesn't bite...

FWIW moving followups to my other post since looks like the drums are hanging too so might as well just have one thread for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back