What are you paying for fuel now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I used to work last year, we had the 2nd highest gas prices in the Waikato District, the highest were in a small town in a remote location, we were on a main highway 15 mins out of a city, 10 mins from a large town. I wouldn't buy my fuel there, but got it at our local Z here in town, he didn't like that, he thought I should support his business. I couldn't afford the 40km commute on his prices.

Now he has changed to Gull, a local brand that has a seperate supply chain from the other brands, and they are very competitive. They talk about ''The Gull Effect'', where if Gull are in town, all stations in their area have to price match. So now he has the cheapest prices in the district. I was down there a few days ago to pick up some parts I ordered, and as I was headed to Auckland next, put in some of their 98 Brewtroleum (alcohol from beer waste) which the Volvo likes, and it was 2 cents a litre cheaper than 91 was in Auckland. If I still worked there I would certainly be using his fuel...but he's closing the workshop now, suspecting that is whay I left.

http://gull.nz/fuel

95.x cents a litre here at the moment. Of course I have to buy 91 octane so it is a fair bit more at around the 1.20/L mark.

I paid about AUD1.03/L tonight for 91 (which I think is equiv to US 87). That's about 2.91/US Gal unit & exchange rate converted. That was the cheapest around by a long way.

Californian are paying dearly for regular but we have a break on premium, most stations price premium(91, we don't have 93) at 20 cents more than regular, but many states have more than 30-40 cents extra for premium.

As percentage that 40 cents is almost 20% above regular while 20 cents in California is less than 10% extra.

I believe it was last month's C&D had an article about some of those gaps, how some independent stations in the States are rather clueless about pricing premium, and charge too little for it on occasion, especially if they don't sell a lot. I don't know how accurate the article was, but it was an interesting point of view.

The 20 cents difference between regular and premium is for a very long time since the 80's when the price of regular was about 70-80 cents a gallon, and this spread is at most stations in Orange County.

Few years ago some stations had 8 cents more for mid-grade and anther 8 cents for premium, even when regular was more than $5/gal. 16 cents of $5.xx is about 3%.

When the spread was 3-4% I had premium in all my cars.

Cheapest I can find premium (92) here in Portland is at Fred Meyer for $2.43. Most "top-tier" stations are $2.80 to $2.90 for premium. I run a bottle of Redline SI-1 every 5k miles to reduce the effects of using cheap gas. They are about $12 a bottle, so net it saves a lot of money.

My FXT take premium fuel, and Costco consistently has the least expensive fuel in the New Orleans metro area. On 8/4/16, I paid $2.099 per gallon for premium (93 octane); while regular (87 octane) was selling for $1.699 per gallon.

Paying $2.55 for diesel and $2.59 for premimun here in Southern California. Diesel was $2.45 just last week. I had heard that is was going to continue to go down until the end of the year due to oil prices. I guess not.

We've been paying $1.999 for RUG in this area for the past few weeks although other areas of the state have lower fuel prices.
The most we paid this summer was $2.499, much less than a few years ago.
What surprises me is the large disparity in fuel prices between stations separated by only a few miles. The buck ninety nine station we used was literally three miles from one offering RUG at two bucks twenty six and that station was crowded with cars.
This tells me that people aren't making good use of readily available information. If you have a smart phone as almost everyone does, I'd think that you'd take a break from facebook and check gasbuddy before buying a tank of fuel.
It really astonishes me that people will spend four bucks more than they need to when buying a tank of fuel.

2.10 at bp with their free driver rewards program. They gave something like 17-19 cents off after the first fill up when using it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back