Dryer Duct Boosters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Here's yet another possibility: http://www.dryer-ell.com/new/dryer-ell_welcome.asp
Yes, part of the problem is the double 90° turn right out of the dryer to the wall. There is not enough room to come out of the side of the dryer either to eliminate one of the turns (too close to the wall). It is a really bad design by the home builder because there is no dryer that would have the exhaust that far to the side--most exhaust from the middle of the dryer. I am waffling on adding the booster versus replacing the entire duct--if I knew the booster would solve the issue, I would just go ahead. If I replaced the duct, I would move it over about 14" to have the outlet of the dryer go straight into the duct, then one 90° turn to go up and two 45° turns to go out of the roof. Decisions...

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Decisions...

Personally I've always preferred to fix it correctly, assuming that the duct length is actually the problem.

That house must have been built by the same idiot "custom builder" who built a neighbors house. In his "infinite" wisdom, not only did he think 4" PVC was sufficient to properly vent a dryer blower, he also set a belly in the 12' line AND ran it through concrete.

What happens when you exhaust hot, moist air through a long, restricted pipe in a huge heatsink known as a concrete foundation? The moisture condenses, and fills the belly, backing up the dryer, frustrating the Mrs., and greatly shortening the dryers life.

What an idiot......

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Decisions...
Personally I've always preferred to fix it correctly, assuming that the duct length is actually the problem.
As would I except when I compare the cost for the two jobs and based upon what I have read the booster will solve the problem...

Safety is the highest concern. I wouldn't cheap out on the booster fan. This article reminds us of the care needed if you choose to use a booster fan: http://inspectapedia.com/ventilation/Clothes_Dryer_Vent_Booster_Fan.php

Yet another (expensive) option is to change out to a long vent dryer designed for longer runs (150' +/-): https://www.google.com/#q=long+vent+dryer+models

Maybe the contractor set up the house with this type of dryer in mind.
21.gif

I hope you guys with the crazy long clothes dryer exhaust runs have smooth 4" pipe run for the majority of those distances. If it's all corrugated flex duct, that's a HUGE drag, even completely free of lint, which it wont be for long.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Safety is the highest concern. I wouldn't cheap out on the booster fan. This article reminds us of the care needed if you choose to use a booster fan: http://inspectapedia.com/ventilation/Clothes_Dryer_Vent_Booster_Fan.php
Agreed and that is why a lint trap will be installed for the booster fan as well. I had the duct cleaned about a year ago (after being in use for nearly 12 years) before switching from electric to gas and there was a lot of lint in it. I will do this again before installing the booster and lint trap, but overall I do not see where I am doing anything that is not safe since the duct has been in use all this time. All of my duct is rigid (except from the dryer to the wall, which is semi-rigid) and the booster will be installed with proper support.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I hope you guys with the crazy long clothes dryer exhaust runs have smooth 4" pipe run for the majority of those distances. If it's all corrugated flex duct, that's a HUGE drag, even completely free of lint, which it wont be for long.
Mine is smooth, but based upon what I saw when it was "roto-rooted" even the interior surfaces of smooth duct will attract and hold damp lint which builds up over time. I have more or less consigned myself to the fact the duct will need to be cleaned annually. I am guessing the high humidity climate in Houston is not helping when a long duct run is involved, either.

Ive installed booster fans like the first one on the amazon link. Code for new construction down here is anything over 25' requires a booster fan and every elbow counts as 5'. Heres a crazy idea, hang the clothes outside to dry, you'll save on electricity/gas and not worry about you dryer venting getting clogged
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Heres a crazy idea, hang the clothes outside to dry, you'll save on electricity/gas and not worry about you dryer venting getting clogged
grin.gif
If I lived where I did as a boy, this would be the answer, but the HOA would be all over me in a second if I did that. They just love sending letters for a sprig of grass growing between the cracks in the driveway or sidewalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back