'01 Mazda MPV 160k on the clock ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropped the tranny pan and filter, cleaned magnet in pan. Pulled drain plug on connected diff. Fluid was opaque brown, but no burnt smell. ATF could be original with 160,000 miles. After another drain and fill dirted the fluid quickly sent sample in after 500 miles.

So based on this analysis, would you folks recomend a flush using the trannies own pump to get all that suspended metal out of the transmission. I can take some 3/8 line and connect to return on tranny cooler. Or does it apear this tranny is on it's way out.

Crickets, how about using Lubeguard Flush additive first, then flush. Then replace all fluid in tranny with Valvoline Max Life ATF. Have a 2,000 mile round trip to Indiana soon!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
I'd skip the additives and continue the drain and fills.

+1
I would avoid flushing for now.
coffee2.gif

I know it is not a good idea to shock the system with a power flush. However the Blackstore analyst I called after the y esting, stated that dtain and fills would not likely remove enough fluid. Also with this much suspended Iron and Aluminium ie. insoulubles the current is sandblasting the internals of the tranny.

Ened up flushing tranny and refilling with Max life ATF. Much firmer shifts at anything other than WOT going up hill. At WOT shift flare bad between 2 and 3. But if you back off the throdle it shifts and goes on it way. No slipping so far but only be a few hundred miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back