Photos of Manual trans fill/drain for Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Hey Bill.

I'm thinking of changing the manual trans fluid in my saturn for a good synthetic fluid.

The car has about 38k miles on it, and the OEM fluid.

It is a bit notchy in the morning. It definitely needs some different fluid to make it operate a bit smoother.

My saturn uses ATF in the gearbox. Would you still go with the Amsoil?

Would the redline, royal purple, etc be any better than the amsoil? Mobil1 atf?

Excellent suggestion to go over to the Saturn boards (or ask here) and find out whats working in the manual transmissions.

Also, send a PM to Pablo and see if he has any insight or suggestions on oil/fluid for it.

I think the most important thing (even though I did not for almost 20 years and 292k miles on my Jetta
bop.gif
) is to change the oil. Thats more important then what brand (some brands/type seem to work better) or type of oil.
dunno.gif

Just change it.
cheers.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Did my first successful manual transmision oil change yesterday. Was actually kind of fun, just like changing the engine oil. Many thanks go out to Bill in Utah for his guidance, and the rest who made little suggestions here and there. I really appreciate it.

Mike

When I did change the fluid it did not go shooting out across the driveway, just drained like an oil change.

hi i have a 1994 prizm/corolla, and i see in my repair manual that there are two or three fill plugs for the manual transmission. i only see on on mine, and one in your photos. i know theres ten years difference, but it looks like the same model. anyone have any idea what im talkin about? i sure dont

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Quote:
word of advice: Always crack the fill plug to assure you can fill the tranny. I've head people having issues taking the drain plug easily but to find they CANT take the fill plug.

Thats why I stated the following;

Make sure you take the fill plug out first BEFORE you drain fluid. (you'd hate to drain the fluid and find out you can not get the fill plug off... (it happens quite a bit))

I know! 3 people said that after you so clearly said it. Proof that many never read thru the thread before posting..

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If you ever had a stuck fastener, especially a drain plug, here's what you do. Go get you a big rubber mallet, hold the ratchet up in place with the socket over the plug - hold it firmly in position so all the force of the mallet goes through the handle of the ratchet and doesn't swing the ratchet all over the place and possibly mess up the plug - and give er a nice solid smack. DONE. Heck, I just use my hand now to smack it if it's tight.

This idea may cause issue when things start flying all over the place. Better off getting an extension pipe to help you getting the torque you need to crack open the fill plug.

Originally Posted By: gushaman
hi i have a 1994 prizm/corolla, and i see in my repair manual that there are two or three fill plugs for the manual transmission. i only see on on mine, and one in your photos. i know theres ten years difference, but it looks like the same model. anyone have any idea what im talkin about? i sure dont

I have a 94 Corolla. There is only one fill plug. It's exactly the same as the pics Bill posted.

Thanks Bill for the nice write up and preference on lube! Pictures are always a big help for someone who's is going to try it for the time. Let me know when you get to Illinois. I have a Lincoln truck rear differential just waiting for you...lol.

I had a member who PM'd me about this old thread on changing the fluid out of a Corolla with 5 sp.

Getting ready to do mine again.. After 200k+ miles on the last fill.

Bill

any way you could post those pictures again? they seem to have expired and i would like to change my fluid soon. Its kind of whiney in low gears on deceleration. Not sure if thats how it is supposed to be or not. this is my first m/t car.

also, where are the jack points for the corolla? for some reason, it isn't listed in my haynes manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back