Baldwin filters defects words only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some Baldwin and Hastings from Zoro. Trying to use USA made is the goal. Very nice, I was happy at first. Looking inside the BT223 I see the center tube in one area not extending all the way down to the base. The sharp cut metal end was exposed, and media seen behind in the gap. Both of the BT223's had it. The louvers are different and nicely opened on the Baldwins, different punching, and otherwise they look great. I sent them back the same day and they were quick to refund, good company. No pics but it happened. I couldn't see the B37 inside but sent it back anyway because what I saw on the BT223 was no good. QC needs to wake up here.

I have come to the conclusion that every oil filter you buy no matter what the brand should be thoroughly inspected both inside and out if something is different about one i would return them as defective depending what is wrong and post some pictures.
Of course you can't see inside them beyond the center tube for the most part so you have to wait until you use them and cut them open and if you can please post pictures both the good and the bad to be fair..The filter companies know people cut open filters and post pictures of problem filters so this will help keep them on their toes if the company is a quality company. These types of forums can expose shoddy filters in no time and these days the information spreads like wildfire and their profits do suffer to some extent. Over a short amount of time lots of people will know and that could be very bad for the company in question.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I have come to the conclusion that every oil filter you buy no matter what the brand should be thoroughly inspected both inside and out if something is different about one i would return them as defective depending what is wrong and post some pictures.

Yup this is best practice.

I do it inside a store after I pay and before I leave and often find issues with filters that look dropped. With some products Ive found the filter in the box isn't what is labeled on the box.

When a mail order comes I inspect each one before marking the box with a sharpy to indicate what it fits, and putting it on my shelf.

UD

Forget using oil filters. VW didn't have them on the beetle and those things ran forever.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Forget using oil filters. VW didn't have them on the beetle and those things ran forever.
grin2.gif

not forever...most did not make 100,000 without repairs

I guess it was "forever" back in 1965.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
grin2.gif

Ha, yeah! Those were the days when 100,000 miles without repairs was very good.

grin2.gif

And no VVT or AFM or any other electronic gizmos inside the engine. And tolerances?

Originally Posted By: OLEJOE
grin2.gif

And no VVT or AFM or any other electronic gizmos inside the engine. And tolerances?

I still don't have vvt and don't know what AFM is. Don't care for electronic gizmos in the car beyond a knob and pushbutton radio. Tolerances are one good thing though and I guess that became possible in mass production because of modern tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back