Wendy's Chili Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.food.com/recipe/wendys-chili-recipe-19061

I have not tried this recipe, i have several different recipes for chile-mainly because my wife like's a thick chili and I like it thin. LOL

In other thread we talked about the Wendy's chili, so I googled and found the abobe linky. I will likely try it out sooner than later, especially with fall right around the corner and the new programmable crock i picked up recently.

Last edited:
That is a list of very different recipes, all of which claims to be Wendy's. It's unlikely that any one of them is exactly the recipe.

I thought Wendy's chili included fingers? I didn't see any in that ingredient list.

Wife makes a chili occasionally, using the McCormick packets. Comes out good, although I wish she'd get a hotter version.

She does make good use of the crockpot. Great to set up in the morning on days where we are all gone. Something we've liked recently is this butter curry and chicken (over rice), that apparently does well in the crockpot too.

Friend gave me a little crockpot to try to make beans in, at some point I need to dig through receipes and find one to try.

Originally Posted By: djb
That is a list of very different recipes, all of which claims to be Wendy's. It's unlikely that any one of them is exactly the recipe.

i will likely try the first 2 recipes first and see how they come out. I do like trying out different chili recipes and playing with the "heat" level.

Originally Posted By: supton
I thought Wendy's chili included fingers? I didn't see any in that ingredient list.

Wife makes a chili occasionally, using the McCormick packets. Comes out good, although I wish she'd get a hotter version.

She does make good use of the crockpot. Great to set up in the morning on days where we are all gone. Something we've liked recently is this butter curry and chicken (over rice), that apparently does well in the crockpot too.

Friend gave me a little crockpot to try to make beans in, at some point I need to dig through receipes and find one to try.

Wendy's chili finger recipe? too funny...

ooh that curry sounds like something i will want to try also.

I found a recipe over 10 years ago on the net that a church group made for their social events, and it was the closest to Wendy's chili that I have ever made. Can't find the recipe now. Find the recipes that add a just a tad of vinegar because those are the recipes that are probably like Wendy's.

i'll try a tad bit of red vinegar in the recipes, but not a lot..have to find just the right mix so it don't over power it.

bigD1, if you find that recipe please share,,,

my mother in law has this old, old, recipe book that was put together by the ladies of the church many years ago and man you are talking some great grade A recipes.

I'm not fond of tomato in my chili. My favorite is Hard Times Texas Chili mix. Alternative is Taco seasoning with extra helpings of chili power, diced onion and garlic. I small can of black beans optional (for 3 lbs beef) if you don't mind the extra carbs...or just go 1/2 can and freeze the other half for the next batch. I don't make chili in the summer because I hate to add extra heat to the house for 2-3 hours, but cool weather will be here soon.

https://www.hardtimeschili.com/chilli-spice-mixes

very interesting bigt61, i will look through those different spice mixes.

there is a green tomato known as a tomatillo that I have made green salsa with before, just a thought for anyone looking for some variety.

tomatoes can sometimes be a little acidic and i end up having to use a little sugar to counter that.

perhaps someone will have some other ideas on the acidity and how to choose tomato varieties.

I have tried MANY chili recipes that were really good. I have two that I actually recorded after years of trial and error. One is for chili heads and the other is for "normal" people. Even though I am in Texas both recipes contain beans (Ranch Style). I just happen to like beans in my chili. If I am feeling motivated I buy boneless chuck roast and manually cut it into small cubes rather than using ground beef. That is how they do it in the CASI cook offs.

Might be time for a batch of chili!

it won't be long DB, and as always a good bit of info there,,,very true that the freshest cuts of meat, spices, and ingredients render a great chili..

there is also as you alluded to, the "with beans or with out beans thingy" lol

Last edited:
People are actually looking for the Wendy's chili recipe? Would have never thought.

The good news is that I have the KFC secret recipe.

Originally Posted By: hatt
People are actually looking for the Wendy's chili recipe? Would have never thought.

me too! gonna have to try it some time, need a pressure fryer first though...

i could probably get you guys my uncles winning recipe at his church's chili cookoff a few years back....

it was Squirrel Chili...

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: hatt

me too! gonna have to try it some time, need a pressure fryer first though...

i could probably get you guys my uncles winning recipe at his church's chili cookoff a few years back....

it was Squirrel Chili...

That would be awesome. We have plenty of squirrels around here. At work, the second shift supervisor is a huge hunter and always brings in various dishes around the holidays. Ill have to share this one with him if that's okay.

Personally, I like my chili with a shot of cinnamon. Buffalo, deer or turkey makes it really good.

Top it off with some Sam Adams Oktoberfest and you have a delicious fall meal.

When i get my pressure cooker I can give the colonel's recipe a try too...

I actually tried the first wendy's chili recipe on the above link yesterday and thought it was pretty good. it really did remind me of wendy's chili, it may or may not to you but i think it was pretty close.

Originally Posted By: Evili
There are some things you don't need a recipe for. Chili is one of them.

I agree. I only recorded my recipes due to demand. I usually just improvise a bit each time I make it. After winning several church and office chili cook offs (not a big deal) I had people asking for the "recipe." I enjoy the variety of tweaking the basic version. Not everyone I cook for cares for that.

I like chili without kidney beans. Pinto's are good. My store bought is chili without beans.

Great thread.
1) True, chili needs no "recipe" but recording a list of ingredients and in what amounts is good to do.
2) Seems like everyone enjoys those beans but bean-less chili (over rice option) is super duper too.
3) Peppers: I use bell (as a base), a pablano and a wee jalepeno (whole thing-finely chopped) for heat.
....I must try fire roasting them ahead of time for depth of flavor.
4) Ground beef for ease. Larger pack of ground meat is cheaper and I can make burgers etc.
5) Mean sister (extremely good cooking witch) scolds me not using cut meat in my chili.
....Can't post my answers to her.
6) Been touching up the '05 Saab we're trying to sell. The color: Chili Red!
COINCIDENCE? You decide. Kira

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Automobile#/media/File:1969-SAAB99.jpg

when following the original recipe in original post, i had to improvise my list of ingredients as i did not have everything exactly as original list called for and then again i have other ingredients that can be substituted in its place.

for the bell peppers, i substitued 2 hungarian peppers, no seeds and deveined, this removed the small heat the hungarians had. this is what I have fresh from the garden so i used it, did not make that much of a difference to me or my family...

for the stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and rotel tomatoes: i did not have this exactly but I had one large( 28oz.) can of peeled tomatoes, and one home canned jar of tomato soup which nearly totaled the amount of tomato base needed.

i did not have kidney beans, so i substituted a can of great northern beans, which i prefer anyway.

did not have ground chuck so I substituted regular trimmings hamburger...

I do like to grind my hamburger meat fresh when I can, it does give your recipes a much better flavor in my opinion, but the good think about cooking as Kira alluded to is to take a recipe and put it together with what you like and with what is available to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back