Waste Oil company scammers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTN. Quick lube owners. It is my belief that we should all unite and stand against our waste oil pick up companies to end their price gouging. 4 years a go we were getting $1.40 a gallon and now we are cutting them a check for the product? Please folks express your ideas here on what to do to end this price gouging.

Originally Posted By: Oilmanjean
ATTN. Quick lube owners. It is my belief that we should all unite and stand against our waste oil pick up companies to end their price gouging. 4 years a go we were getting $1.40 a gallon and now we are cutting them a check for the product? Please folks express your ideas here on what to do to end this price gouging.

Welcome to BITOG, quite the first post.

What was the price of oil four years ago as compared to today?

X2 Rand , just Donated 25 gallons to my buddy shop to stock him up for winter
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Walmart takes waste oil.

This guy (the OP) obviously runs a quick lube business. I don't think wally world or anyplace like that will take the 50 + gallons of oil per day they need to dispose of.
But I also agree that it is a rip off to have to pay to get rid of it. Free should be a good enough deal. My wife used to work for a fast food place that had lots of fryer grease to dispose of. The owner used to pay to have it hauled away, till she called around and found a different company that payed him.

Last edited by a moderator:
The price of crude should not dictate the waste oil market. Especially here in the rust belt they are still selling what they are charging us to pick up. The question should be what is the price of the waste oil itself? Am I wrong? They are not giving it away to the asphalt companies. Fuel for heating systems etc. I do burn it for heat but generate much more than i burn. Let's stand up shop owners. Why no one is doing anything blows me away.

The price of crude should not dictate the waste oil market. Especially here in the rust belt they are still selling what they are charging us to pick up. The question should be what is the price of the waste oil itself? Am I wrong? They are not giving it away to the asphalt companies. Fuel for heating systems etc. I do burn it for heat but generate much more than i burn. Let's stand up shop owners. Why no one is doing anything blows me away.

It most certainly does affect the price. The new price of something always affects the scrap value. Just look at the metal reclamation industry right now.

What do you think they use the reclaimed oil for, anyway? No matter what, it being used for it still has to be collected, stored and processed. That costs money.

Let me ask you this, do you think recyclers should be paying for waste paper? Here in southeastern Wisconsin that also costs you money for disposal. There is no market for scrap paper, and the recycling costs put the finished product above using virgin pulp.

And exactly how are you going to "stand up"? Refuse to have them haul it away and keep storing it onsite? Dump it on the ground? Protest outside the reclamation facilities? Like has been mentioned, it is indeed classified as a hazardous waste.

Just wondering, how much are you being paid for scrap tires?

Yeah, I'd suggest that you should stockpile it for it's inherent value, and hold onto it until the recyclers are screaming to take your (waste) oil and will pay ounce for ounce in gold.

Why do you think that when crude was high, they gave you money...on top of paying someone to come pick it up and operate and maintain a facility and fleet of vehicles ?

There is no market for re-refined oil when virgin oil is cheaper. Why would they pay you for a product that is unsalable?

So glad to see that not one person that commented here knows what the [censored] they are talking about. The majority use of waste motor oil is what you are driving on every day. Asphalt. The price the waste oil haulers charge to sell their product has not gone down like crude. And no we can't dump it on the ground or have someone else pick it up. I was mistaken in thinking this is a forum for quick lube owners. This is a sight like most forums where "know it alls" come to spout off like idiots. Sorry I posted. D.I.Yerselfers was not my intended audience. Thanks for all the uninformed comments. And for those of you who use quick lubes/dealers/garages for your oil changes enjoy the inflated prices cuz all we can do is raise your price in order to offset this price gouging. See our problem is your problem.

So glad to see that not one person that commented here knows what the [censored] they are talking about. The majority use of waste motor oil is what you are driving on every day. Asphalt. The price the waste oil haulers charge to sell their product has not gone down like crude. And no we can't dump it on the ground or have someone else pick it up. I was mistaken in thinking this is a forum for quick lube owners. This is a sight like most forums where "know it alls" come to spout off like idiots. Sorry I posted. D.I.Yerselfers was not my intended audience. Thanks for all the uninformed comments. And for those of you who use quick lubes/dealers/garages for your oil changes enjoy the inflated prices cuz all we can do is raise your price in order to offset this price gouging. See our problem is your problem.
Asphalt from waste oil..... What a concept.

Some here will argue vehemently that that is not true. Not me though.

crackmeup2.gif

The terms asphalt and bitumen are often used interchangeably to mean both natural and manufactured forms of the substance. In American English, asphalt (or asphalt cement) is the carefully refined residue from the distillation process of selected crude oils. Outside the United States, the product is often called bitumen. Geologists often prefer the term bitumen. Common usage often refers to various forms of asphalt/bitumen as "tar", such as at the La Brea Tar Pits. Another archaic term for asphalt/bitumen is "pitch".

“We’ve found motor oil in about 50 percent of asphalt cement in Michigan, and that is the cause of massive amounts of failure. It probably takes off five to 10 years of a lifecycle of road.” Ever wonder why the roads in the midwest suck? And the "recyclers" are still selling this stuff to road contractors. SELLING. And they are selling it to those who heat with it. But we are paying to have it removed. Just sticking up for myself here. Like I stated earlier I realize now that this particular forum is not a forum for quick lube operators to exchange ideas just thought I would back up my earlier statements.

Last edited:
I realize in your home state of California where i lived for two years you pay to recycle your farts so I am not offended by your ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back