Young people and technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: TheExpectorate
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: andrewg
No...it's not fine to text at a red light. Do you know how many lights I've missed because the idiot twenty-something in front of me has head bent down, staring at a smart phone?? By the time these fools look up, the light is turning yellow.

You didn't blip the horn to wake them up ?

That doesn't matter. They have attitude problems, will continue to sit there whether you honk or not. May sit there longer. Because "how dare you interrupt texting."

It worked for me. I waited for few seconds and if no sign of moving I blip the honk, the driver woke up and drove normally, some times they wave to acknowledge their error.

Most of the time it generates the bird...that seems to be the other new thing drivers are doing these days...THEY do something that is clearly wrong, then they get mad at you if you honk at them, or get in their way, and they act like you are in the wrong...

Youth of the 20's/30's: Doomed to be permanently and irreparably corrupted by alcohol and wild jungle music.

Youth of the 40's: If there hadn't been "The War"...........

Youth of the 50's: Doomed to be permanently and irreparably corrupted by rock music.

Youth of the 60's: Doomed to be permanently and irreparably corrupted by psychedelic music, drugs, lack of ambition, and sex.

Youth of the 70's: See above.

Youth of the 80's: Doomed to be permanently and irreparably corrupted by video games, lack of ambition, and drugs.

Millenials: Doomed to be permanently and irreparably corrupted by rap music, trap music, lack of ambition, sex, and social media.

And don't forget that every one of these situations is a SPECIAL CASE; TOTALLY UNPRECEDENTED IN MAGNITUDE.

I'd ask when this is going to stop, but I know full and well that it never will.

I'm not going to criticize anyone's generation, because one day I'll be sitting with my own peers listening to how the latest youth is doing "things we never did" in "ways we never did". I already have to listen to glory stories from people my age about how we were "the last generation to go out and play after school".

And in 2060 the nursing homes will be filled with tattoo bearing residents - what a sight !

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Youth of the 20's/30's: Doomed to be permanently and irreparably corrupted by alcohol and wild jungle music.

Youth of the 40's: If there hadn't been "The War"...........

Youth of the 50's: Doomed to be permanently and irreparably corrupted by rock music.

Youth of the 60's: Doomed to be permanently and irreparably corrupted by psychedelic music, drugs, lack of ambition, and sex.

Youth of the 70's: See above.

Youth of the 80's: Doomed to be permanently and irreparably corrupted by video games, lack of ambition, and drugs.

Millenials: Doomed to be permanently and irreparably corrupted by rap music, trap music, lack of ambition, sex, and social media.

And don't forget that every one of these situations is a SPECIAL CASE; TOTALLY UNPRECEDENTED IN MAGNITUDE.

I'd ask when this is going to stop, but I know full and well that it never will.

I'm not going to criticize anyone's generation, because one day I'll be sitting with my own peers listening to how the latest youth is doing "things we never did" in "ways we never did". I already have to listen to glory stories from people my age about how we were "the last generation to go out and play after school".

That's fine, but comparing some of those past generations with the current younger one, is misplaced. There comes a time when a line is crossed. Generally that line was trespassed when we preferred the discourse of a smartphone, to normal human interaction. Manners, social etiquette, conversational skills, proper use of english, safety, etc.

Besides all that, some of those past generational habits DID indeed have a huge negative effect on society and wasn't a simple "my generation is better than your generation" quip.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
And in 2060 the nursing homes will be filled with tattoo bearing residents - what a sight !

With a permanent forward bend to the neck.

That's fine, but comparing some of those past generations with the current younger one, is misplaced. There comes a time when a line is crossed. Generally that line was trespassed when we preferred the discourse of a smartphone, to normal human interaction. Manners, social etiquette, conversational skills, proper use of english, safety, etc.

Besides all that, some of those past generational habits DID indeed have a huge negative effect on society and wasn't a simple "my generation is better than your generation" quip.

The simple situation is that young people are always going to get into something new, and it's not always going to be rainbows and sunshine. However, human beings can't help but be human beings. Eventually, they're going to get older, mature, and figure things out.

Regardless of the problems that any single generation faced, they all produced leaders, innovators, heroes, and people who changed the world for the better.

Any generation of the last 150 years could be accused of anything you just listed, aside from the strictly smartphone part.

Resurrect a dilettante from the 19th century, and he would condemn every single one of us as savages and likely not entertain anyone's argument that any of us did better than any others.

The simple situation is that young people are always going to get into something new, and it's not always going to be rainbows and sunshine. However, human beings can't help but be human beings. Eventually, they're going to get older, mature, and figure things out.

Regardless of the problems that any single generation faced, they all produced leaders, innovators, heroes, and people who changed the world for the better.

Any generation of the last 150 years could be accused of anything you just listed, aside from the strictly smartphone part.

Resurrect a dilettante from the 19th century, and he would condemn every single one of us as savages and likely not entertain anyone's argument that any of us did better than any others.

Every generation has positive attributes and negative ones. Some, because of the available culture and technology, sadly don't know that an entire REAL world exists outside an electronic gizmo that is designed to make money, regardless of the consequences. Some generations have exhibited great courage, endured and prospered, and added much to the American culture. But others are basically lazy, self centered, and narcissistic.

I think you haven't taken the time to see what is on social media: Documentation of people getting out and doing more than perhaps any young generation ever has. I can tell you from some very solid experience that there are more young people travelling the globe than I have seen in my lifetime. Outdoor events featuring everything from cycling, fitness challenges, cultural experiences, community activities, and recreational activities are definitely at a high.

I'm not saying you're completely wrong. Those who use technology just to be complete "tarts" (this censor filter makes me talk like I'm from another century), thugs, idiots, or just plain old nuisances tend to stand out more than the rest of society. There is no doubt that one has to wade through a pile of people engaged in complete idiocy in order to get relevant content.

I'm guilty of the same thing. I see things go on now that didn't go on before and say, "How could these people let this happen?!".

It's human nature. When something new comes along, the first thing we're hard-wired to do is look at the consequences. The fact that there is a negative side alone is enough to make us turn away, because at the end of the day, we are faced with new challenges in addition to the ones that already existed. Many times, the benefits appear intangible, and the negatives are very real. And if we are unable to appreciate or use the benefits, then it's just toilet contents to us.

But let me give you an example. A while ago I was on Facebook, and I got a notification that Diesel Power was live at the diesel races in Utah. This was a live broadcast of a diesel truck race in Utah. 5 years ago, I would never have been able to watch an event like this live, and the only content I would get would be some lame snapshots in a mag and some stats. No network would ever have covered this. Instead, I'm watching this race live, able to communicate directly with the commentator, while talking about the whole thing live with other people watching the same Facebook broadcast. Through this, relevant answers were given to relevant questions like racer and truck status, expected appearances, predictions of run times, etc. I even got a free subscription out of the whole thing by calling out the closest ET on a few trucks.

For me, this is incredible. The fact that live coverage of "less popular" races has all but disappeared in the post-Speedvision era has really ticked me off for a long time. But now I get complete interactive coverage instead.

It's not all as terrible as it seems. For the past several years, there has been a major backlash against the disconnection caused by social media, and it has resulted in social media and smartphones being used in ways that do more to connect people than disconnect them. It will settle itself eventually.

I think you haven't taken the time to see what is on social media: Documentation of people getting out and doing more than perhaps any young generation ever has. I can tell you from some very solid experience that there are more young people travelling the globe than I have seen in my lifetime. Outdoor events featuring everything from cycling, fitness challenges, cultural experiences, community activities, and recreational activities are definitely at a high.

I'm not saying you're completely wrong. Those who use technology just to be complete "tarts" (this censor filter makes me talk like I'm from another century), thugs, idiots, or just plain old nuisances tend to stand out more than the rest of society. There is no doubt that one has to wade through a pile of people engaged in complete idiocy in order to get relevant content.

I'm guilty of the same thing. I see things go on now that didn't go on before and say, "How could these people let this happen?!".

It's human nature. When something new comes along, the first thing we're hard-wired to do is look at the consequences. The fact that there is a negative side alone is enough to make us turn away, because at the end of the day, we are faced with new challenges in addition to the ones that already existed. Many times, the benefits appear intangible, and the negatives are very real. And if we are unable to appreciate or use the benefits, then it's just toilet contents to us.

But let me give you an example. A while ago I was on Facebook, and I got a notification that Diesel Power was live at the diesel races in Utah. This was a live broadcast of a diesel truck race in Utah. 5 years ago, I would never have been able to watch an event like this live, and the only content I would get would be some lame snapshots in a mag and some stats. No network would ever have covered this. Instead, I'm watching this race live, able to communicate directly with the commentator, while talking about the whole thing live with other people watching the same Facebook broadcast. Through this, relevant answers were given to relevant questions like racer and truck status, expected appearances, predictions of run times, etc. I even got a free subscription out of the whole thing by calling out the closest ET on a few trucks.

For me, this is incredible. The fact that live coverage of "less popular" races has all but disappeared in the post-Speedvision era has really ticked me off for a long time. But now I get complete interactive coverage instead.

It's not all as terrible as it seems. For the past several years, there has been a major backlash against the disconnection caused by social media, and it has resulted in social media and smartphones being used in ways that do more to connect people than disconnect them. It will settle itself eventually.

I realize the wonder and information available within social media and the internet in general. It CAN be a very good way to connect to distant people as well as local groups and/or info that CAN make life a bit more enjoyable at times. I have zero problems when smartphones are used sparingly and with regard to those around you. I also don't particularly care when the younger crowd spends most of the day on them. They aren't my kids.

But....when our culture changes (and it certainly has) and incorporates these devices as tantamount to life....I object. Not everything in the real world can be experienced on a gizmo screen. You aren't REALLY communicating at full capacity when you IM or email/tweet or FB reply to people. The real world...the grit, the smells (good and bad), the sights and sounds....can only be truly appreciated by participating and attending. In my opinion many today are far too dependent upon these things than they realize. Is it really needed or interesting to constantly know what your "friends" are doing at every given moment? Is it REALLY worth the time to "interact" at that level when doing just about anything else is more meaningful? People die every single day using these silly devices....mostly from chatting or texting about nothing. Innocent people are effected all the time from these users/abusers. Whether it be death or inconvenience....rudeness, lack of social skills...or just plain bad manners....we'd all be better off with some serious moderation. We are all TOO connected. Sometimes being alone...out of communication with EVERYONE we know....is a very good thing. It's, in my opinion, every bit as important to sometimes be completely alone and truly free of people...as it is to spend some real time WITH living, breathing people.

But that never happens when it comes to these things. At least not yet, nor do I see it on the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back