Slick 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the early 90s I used to add Slick 50 to my oil changes in my 1989 Mustang 2.3 4 cyl that I had customized to look like an SVO Mustang. Cool Fox body car with no power to speak of even with the 5-speed manual.

What the heck was that Slick 50 that I used? Was it just a gimmick? At 120,000 that engine never burned any oil, but I was careful about oil changes from the start.

Yep, it was all the rage at the time, but then eventually people realized it was snake oil and sales went way down, but there's still people out there who use it.

They're the ideal target market if you want to sell charms that keep the sharks away.

Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright

What the heck was that Slick 50 that I used? Was it just a gimmick?

A gimmick? You can decide for yourself.
Dupont, the actual owner of the trademark Teflon® (PTFE) warned us that it shouldn't be used in oil. The temp that it takes to fuse itself into metal is much higher than what an automotive engine will ever see. The little beads of PTFE could actually plug up an oil filter, a lifter or minute oil galleys in an engine. Later versions of Slick 50 actually had no PTFE in it at all. (Hmmm. I wonder why the manufacturer stopped putting it in the oil.....)

I have cases of Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine 10w-30 w/Slick50 thanks to this site. Last time I used it as a flush after a piston soak.

I used it once and it not only made a huge difference but it also fixed my cars AC and my knee injury from high school football.

Good stuff

All jokes aside it use to be huge at one point but people stopped using it now. I have a friend and Slick 50 was the only real additive he remembered. His daughter bought a car with her secret savings when she was 17 and well.. It was a very cheap car might have paid $500 for it had nearly 300k miles and the motor blew up in it one day at a stop light.

He was positive the guy who sold it to her out Slick 50 in it and it was a bad car but did it to fool her. I tried to tell him it really doesn't work that way. My son mentioned she would always floor the car everywhere she went and I don't doubt it. You can't expect most $500 cars to be a street racer with 300k miles.

Anyways sorry for my rambling.

Snake oil! Prolong however will keep a engine running with no oil. You can drive around with no oil, and you can pour sand into your motor and it will just keep going. Don't even need a oil pan anymore! Hot blondes like it as well.

Last edited:
Back in the days I used it I was 19-21 years old. I'm dumb now, but I was a lot dumber then. I used it many at many oil changes. Didn't seem to hurt anything. Engine ran great.

I believe the oil is okay for use in non-filtered applications, such as snow blowers and lawn mowers. I still have a bottle myself, bought in the early 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back