2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought an immaculate 2012 Suzuki DL1000 with 15000 miles. All maintenance was done by dealership with all paperwork provided with the bike.

I used Rotella T5 15w-40 in my previous bike, a KLR 650, and want to make sure it'll be good for the 1000. The engine in the 1000 makes 3 times the power of the older 650 single, and I want to keep it running it's best. I value all opinions, thanks!

That engine is not picky.
Rotella is fine, WalMart 15w40 has been shown to hold up as well.
Or Delvac.
Valvoline Premium Blue makes the clutch a little grabby, IMO, but not bad.
Find a diesel oil, and go ride.
Change the stub on the engine and switch to the Honda filter, available everywhere, or the Honda auto (PH, ST) 7317 filter, again, everywhere.
http://balestech.com/filter.htm

Last edited:
Welcome to BITOG, I bought a 2008 Suzuki DL1000 new, and kept it for about 3 years. At that mileage, it's due a valve adjustment if it hasn't already been done. The Dupont chain lube from Lowes is the best lube I found for the chain. I ran the Rotella T5 in mine, along with a Wix filter with no complaints. I think I might still have close to a case of the Wix filters, and since you're in NC we might could meet up if you're interested in them for a good price. If so PM me. I'm just southwest of Greensboro. Oh, and checkout Stromtrooper.com for a lot of good stuff on the Vstroms.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Welcome to BITOG, I bought a 2008 Suzuki DL1000 new, and kept it for about 3 years. At that mileage, it's due a valve adjustment if it hasn't already been done. The Dupont chain lube from Lowes is the best lube I found for the chain. I ran the Rotella T5 in mine, along with a Wix filter with no complaints. I think I might still have close to a case of the Wix filters, and since you're in NC we might could meet up if you're interested in them for a good price. If so PM me. I'm just southwest of Greensboro. Oh, and checkout Stromtrooper.com for a lot of good stuff on the Vstroms.

Valve adjustment has been done according to the records from previous owner. I'd be interested in a few filters, I'm in Fayetteville.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back