2017 Harley Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Last article I read indicated that certain models will have liquid cooling (partial). Basically jackets around the exhaust seats/guides.

Correct, Bikes such as the Ultra Limited, TriGlide Ultra and CVO Touring models have the Twin Cooled version of the engine which has water cooled heads.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
My dad has a softail and I enjoy the sound and experience.... but its all nostalgia. Overall the bike is way beyond in almost every aspect of technology. And no way am I riding it more than 1 hr... everything shakes to kingdom-come.

IMHO if you keep the sound, power-delivery (lots of torque down low) and looks that's what HD is about. I can get past oil/air cooled, leaks and vibration.

Not sure how old or how stock it is but my Softail is very smooth and doesn't leak at all...

Its a '98 and doesn't leak, weeps a little, but it also doesn't have that many miles on it. However I've seen plenty of leaky ones. Stopped at idle, it vibrates a good bit... under way its better, but still quite noticeable. My 400cc dirt thumper doesn't shake as much and it nowhere near as smooth as any parallel twin or inline 3/4 cylinder.

Doesn't mean its bad, but it definitely buzzier.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
And still air-cooled? Facepalm.

You actually expected HD to go watercooled

Facepalm
crackmeup2.gif

If HD ever goes all liquid cooled, they'll go kicking and screaming the whole way...

Aside from the VRSC and new "baby revolution" motors in the Street models. Of course the sales of those are much lower than Sportsters and big twin models.

But yeah, people seem to forget the reason people like "ancient engine tech" is SIMPLICITY. One less fluid to maintain. One less fluid to leak. One less failure point in the engine.

Harley knows its buyer segments and what they like. They make the bikes that their people will buy. I can say that recently, my bike company started churning out liquid cooled "retro" models....and the sales have not been even close to what they expected. Hard to tell people their Bonneville is retro when it has a big old radiator hanging out front.

Yes, Harley lives on nostalgia...and what is so wrong with that as long as people want it? It isn't like there are about a dozen other makers out there as alternative for consumers to choose from that have their niches carved out.

One thing is for sure, if they go full liquid cooled someday, the air cooled prices will certainly climb and the aftermarket will be all too happy to keep churning out the parts to keep the old ones alive.

I agree on nostalgia and made in US pride, but if Harley went liquid cooled decades ago (in-step with other manufacturers)... I think their image and popularity would have been just the same. I just don't believe anyone is buying a Harley because its simple and gee I don't have to worry about coolant. Especially if we're talking newer bikes with plenty of electronics.

If you want a simple bike, then you better be looking at old carb'd, points one...

I got my first look at the new Harley engine today. My local dealer got 9 of the new Milwaukee8 107ci bikes this morning. They started a new EG Ultra and they seem to be a bit smoother at idle, and really quiet with the factory exhaust. Only the touring bikes have the new engines for 2017, but I was told in a couple of years all models with the big twin will have the new 107 engines.

Funny cause I hear it ALL THE TIME from Harley owners when they defend their rides. They love that their air cooled, OHV, hydraulic lifter engines don't require much attention and what attention they need is simple in comparison with others. They don't care if the design is not refined as long as it works. For 2016, there is not really much else in the street bike market that is as simple for the average rider (who doesn't know how to adjust carbs or set points).

Simply "the company" is pursuing the same formula that saved them from the brink. Building a bike that is the best balance of simple and solid (the component missing during the AMF years) and appealing to those with a sense of Americana and/or nostalgia.

Not everyone went liquid cooled, many only partially did. Honda, Yamaha, Triumph, Suzuki, etc all offer bikes that are air cooled or have in the last few years.

Last edited:
'For 2016, there is not really much else in the street bike market that is as simple for the average rider (who doesn't know how to adjust carbs or set points).'

confused2.gif

I like variety and I can appreciate a lot of bikes... cruising on the Harley to blasting back-roads on my FZ. Harley tech is old, plain and simple... whether its good or bad, depends.

So a 1998 Softail is an 80"Evo right? Depending on the model, it might look nearly like something you can walk into a dealer today and buy, but I would be surprised if 10% of the parts actually interchange. I'd also bet if doesn't do anything as well as a new softail. I know there is absolutely no comparison in my old Sportster and a new one...

The Harley you walk into the dealer today and buy may look like old tech - but it really isn't.

Anyhow...

Hopefully I'll get to ride a new one with the Milwaukee-Eight soon ... Of course the way work has been going, I'd be happy to just ride one of mine....

So a 1998 Softail is an 80"Evo right? Depending on the model, it might look nearly like something you can walk into a dealer today and buy, but I would be surprised if 10% of the parts actually interchange. I'd also bet if doesn't do anything as well as a new softail. I know there is absolutely no comparison in my old Sportster and a new one...

The Harley you walk into the dealer today and buy may look like old tech - but it really isn't.

Anyhow...

Hopefully I'll get to ride a new one with the Milwaukee-Eight soon ... Of course the way work has been going, I'd be happy to just ride one of mine....

I think a 98 would be a Twin Cam.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Anyhow...

I think a 98 would be a Twin Cam.

98 was the last model year for the Evolution. 1999 was the first model year of the Twin Cam (88 inch). You could buy a 1999 model year in late 98 though.

Last edited:
Next month, 9/22-9/24 Harley has they're open house in York, Pa. Free food, plant tour and museum tour. Demo rides as well, and meet Ms Harley Davidson.

True, if you're comparing today's HDs to HDs of years past, but when compared to other makes, they're still old tech...look at the Eight for example...everyone's making such a big deal about HD going to a 4 valve per cylinder design, when actually that design has been used for decades in the metrics...

Of course it should be mentioned that the Harley mill is now going to be more "modern" than the Indian Thunderstroke 111 which is a two valve OHV engine. Now I call out Harley and those that defend them with an almost jingoistic fervor right or wrong. However, I think we should look at its most direct American competitor in the Nostalgia department.

About the only thing the Indian has over the Harley now is a few cubes of displacement and unit construction (some love and some hate, but it is more modern)

I do have to give Indian the win in aesthetics though, that 111 is a darn pretty engine.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I like to work on my own stuff, and H-D is def a simple, easier to work on design. The top end can be rebuilt with the engine in the frame.

Easier than... what? A fully faired sport bike? How often you need to rebuild the top-end? Newer OHV, shim-under bucket, WC engines coming out of Japan only require a 30k check of clearance (FZ for example). Rarely do they shift in the first 50-80k.

grin.gif

This thread is definitely heading OT

Last edited:
Would you guys want to go back to carbs? How many can actually diagnose and repair an FI system if needed at home? Carbs, a little cleaner and few jets... any wrench turner would do okay.

How often does a FI system actually need any service?

That's just it, they don't...and neither do the "high tech" engines...HDs better be easy to work on because they need to be worked on...

Originally Posted By: grampi
How often does a FI system actually need any service?

That's just it, they don't...and neither do the "high tech" engines...HDs better be easy to work on because they need to be worked on...

6cmdii.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back