Liqui Moly Mos2 in BMW/Mercedes inline six

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post here, so I hope I haven't put this in the wrong place.

I've read every post I can find about this additive on BITOG, and I'm just wondering overall what people's opinions are of this additive in the German inline six motors. I'm planning to put it in a BMW M54 motor.

Thanks!

Welcome to Bitog...
I never used it and don't usually use additives because oil companies spend millions on formulations and i feel they know a lot more about oil than i do. Are you having a problem with your engine or just feel like trying something new?

I'm sure it's fine, but not entirely necessary. When my E46 had an M54 in it, it survived 45k miles of daily driving and drifting abuse without a hiccup. I used M1 0W-40 on a 4k OCI. The engine was fine when I pulled it out at 150k miles (replaced with 1JZ engine for big power).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I didn't realize this forum would be so active.

No problem with the motor, currently. It's consuming a bit of oil, which is a known M54 issue and will hopefully be solved by a PCV system modification. If that doesn't work, a catch can will be next. Outside of the oil consumption--which, at about a 1/2 quart per 1k miles, is ludicrously well within BMW's allowed spec--the engine is running quite nicely. I'm currently running Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40 and chaining at 5k. Mahle filters.

I was just hoping to use the additive over winter to help protect the motor a bit better during cold starts.

I don't really use additives either. I've been considering this on and off for years, and never tried it. The only "additive" I've ever used was Auto-RX to clean up a SAAB turbo motor. I don't really think it did anything.

1JZ_E46: Jesus. Any drivetrain issues with a 500+ HP Turbo Toyota beast under the hood? That's an incredibly cool modification.

Quattro Pete: Do you like the Castrol Edge 10w40 high mileage? I'm probably going with Mobil 1 again because of the current rebate, but I've been considering that oil. I might try it soon.

Originally Posted By: OldEuroCarLover
Quattro Pete: Do you like the Castrol Edge 10w40 high mileage?

I've only had it in there for about 3K miles, so it's a bit too early to tell. This was my first use of any kind of HM oil in this car. I'm at 98K miles right now.

I started using HM oil in hopes of reducing oil leaks. My rear main seal is leaking, and I haven't bothered to replace it due to labor cost. I think it did reduce that leak a little bit, but again, need more time and miles to better judge that.

Also, at 3K miles, it looks like I've lost about 0.5 qt of oil. Small part of it is leak, the rest is just consumption. My previous oil was Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 where after 3K miles I was down about 1 qt.

I use Liqui Moly Mos2 in my cars at 100 ml per oil change. I didn't feel any difference with and without but at about $2 per oil change it didn't hurt my pocket so I continue using it.

I was just hoping to use the additive over winter to help protect the motor a bit better during cold starts.

Interesting, how do you think it will help with that? The reason I ask is because my old M60 sits outside during winter in northern Wisconsin where the air temperature occasionally drops to -25F and sometimes below.

1JZ_E46: Jesus. Any drivetrain issues with a 500+ HP Turbo Toyota beast under the hood? That's an incredibly cool modification.

So far no, because it's still being finished haha. But I am running a fully built R-154 transmission, 3" steel one-piece drive shaft, and a welded rear diff. My weak link in the drivetrain will be axles, however, it is not a drag car, so they should hold up fine for a while.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Interesting, how do you think it will help with that? The reason I ask is because my old M60 sits outside during winter in northern Wisconsin where the air temperature occasionally drops to -25F and sometimes below.

The theory here is that the moly leaves something of a coating/plating on the metal, giving some additional lubrication while the cold oil starts to circulate. Whether or not this translates to reality, I have no idea.

The theory here is that the moly leaves something of a coating/plating on the metal, giving some additional lubrication while the cold oil starts to circulate. Whether or not this translates to reality, I have no idea.

If it were me, I would use oil weight to increase cold-start performance. Use a 0W-30 LL-01 oil in the winter and a 5W-40 LL-01 in the summer. LL-01 pretty much guarantees you are using a quality, well-performing oil. Castrol seems to have a good 0W-30, and Pennzoil Euro seems to have a good 5W-40, both in LL-01.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

If it were me, I would use oil weight to increase cold-start performance. Use a 0W-30 LL-01 oil in the winter and a 5W-40 LL-01 in the summer. LL-01 pretty much guarantees you are using a quality, well-performing oil. Castrol seems to have a good 0W-30, and Pennzoil Euro seems to have a good 5W-40, both in LL-01.

You'll find almost no difference in viscosity between LL01 oils, regardless of what arbitrary number is printed on the front of the bottle.

LM MoS2 is a fine additive that is TÜV approved, meaning it has shown evidence to the German government that it does what it says on the bottle.

LM Motor Oil Saver is TÜV and FAA approved, and it does work.

Having said that, I don't think you need anything more than a proper LL01 oil, a high-quality filter, and 10k/1yr intervals.

Your plan sounds good, except with M1 10W-40 HM we routinely go 10k miles/1 year with bottle of moly in e46 engines. For 5k mile oil changes, the Maxlife or Castrol 10W-40 HM blends are more than adequate. And yes, I agree that you should improve engine protection for cold start ups with the moly. Only folks that I don't use moly for are those people overly sensitive to darker oil color.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You'll find almost no difference in viscosity between LL01 oils, regardless of what arbitrary number is printed on the front of the bottle.

It fluctuates enough to be selective for cold/summer. KV40 ~70-80; KV100 ~12-13.5; CCS ~5,800-6,600; pour point -39C - -60C

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Your plan sounds good, except with M1 10W-40 HM we routinely go 10k miles/1 year with bottle of moly in e46 engines. For 5k mile oil changes, the Maxlife or Castrol 10W-40 HM blends are more than adequate. And yes, I agree that you should improve engine protection for cold start ups with the moly. Only folks that I don't use moly for are those people overly sensitive to darker oil color.

This is probably stupid, especially to say as much around here, but I can't seem to force myself to go past 5k on an oil change. The M1 oil has a rebate right now, which will make it $10 per 5 quarts. That's the main reason I'm using it. I'm using the 10w40HM variation because of the consumption. If I can get the consumption to drop down to 1/2 quart or less per 5k, I'll probably switch to the German made Castrol Edge 0w40. My plan is to sort out the consumption, if possible, then switch to the Castrol, do a UOA at 5k, then extend to 7.5k. I fully understand that I need to get over my phobia of an extended drain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

LM MoS2 is a fine additive that is TÜV approved, meaning it has shown evidence to the German government that it does what it says on the bottle.

Having said that, I don't think you need anything more than a proper LL01 oil, a high-quality filter, and 10k/1yr intervals.

I had idea about those certifications, and I'd never heard of the Oil Saver. Thanks for the info! Do you know how the oil saver is supposed to work to stop oil consumption? (I'm proud to say that I have no leaks whatsoever, even though the consumption is an issue.)

Motor Oil Saver can help with consumption, depending on what is causing the consumption. It has stopped a puff of smoke from worn valve seals for me, and has helped me put off a valve cover gasket before.

Your issue, as you said, is most likely your PCV system. My M54 stays at the full line over an entire OCI for me. My oil changes are annual. Sometimes it's 10k, sometimes 15k. Still looks good under my valve cover and I have no VANOS problems at 130k miles.

You should know that FAA approval means nothing as to efficacy. It only means it won't cause harm.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

You should know that FAA approval means nothing as to efficacy. It only means it won't cause harm.

I do know that. That fact doesn't take away from the meaning of a TÜV approval, or the fact that an FAA approval is much much more than what your average additive has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back