Facepalm
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
And still air-cooled? Facepalm.

You actually expected HD to go watercooled

Facepalm
crackmeup2.gif

If HD ever goes all liquid cooled, they'll go kicking and screaming the whole way...

Facepalm
crackmeup2.gif

I didn't expect them to go watercooled heads in 2014, but they did.

Originally Posted By: 951Indy

Facepalm
crackmeup2.gif

I didn't expect them to go watercooled heads in 2014, but they did.

That will be their one and only attempt at liquid cooling until they are forced to do so...

'That will be their one and only attempt at liquid cooling until they are forced to do so...'

^ You seem OK with the EPA, Guvment, big brother looking after us! ^

Let me catch up...

You mean it's a biker thing to fuse "natural" anti-government suspicions/sentiments with ancient engine designs which make excess nitrous oxide emissions?

Sad...I suppose it's a substitute for waning testosterone. Kira

Originally Posted By: gman2304
'That will be their one and only attempt at liquid cooling until they are forced to do so...'

No I'm not, but what's the big deal with HD and their refusal to change? Liquid cooling is better than air cooling, so why not use it?

Originally Posted By: Kira
Let me catch up...

You mean it's a biker thing to fuse "natural" anti-government suspicions/sentiments with ancient engine designs which make excess nitrous oxide emissions?

Sad...I suppose it's a substitute for waning testosterone. Kira

Lol - yeah we love those excess "nitrous" oxide emissions....
whistle.gif

Last article I read indicated that certain models will have liquid cooling (partial). Basically jackets around the exhaust seats/guides.

My dad has a softail and I enjoy the sound and experience.... but its all nostalgia. Overall the bike is way beyond in almost every aspect of technology. And no way am I riding it more than 1 hr... everything shakes to kingdom-come.

IMHO if you keep the sound, power-delivery (lots of torque down low) and looks that's what HD is about. I can get past oil/air cooled, leaks and vibration.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Last article I read indicated that certain models will have liquid cooling (partial). Basically jackets around the exhaust seats/guides.

Correct, Bikes such as the Ultra Limited, TriGlide Ultra and CVO Touring models have the Twin Cooled version of the engine which has water cooled heads.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
My dad has a softail and I enjoy the sound and experience.... but its all nostalgia. Overall the bike is way beyond in almost every aspect of technology. And no way am I riding it more than 1 hr... everything shakes to kingdom-come.

IMHO if you keep the sound, power-delivery (lots of torque down low) and looks that's what HD is about. I can get past oil/air cooled, leaks and vibration.

Not sure how old or how stock it is but my Softail is very smooth and doesn't leak at all...

Originally Posted By: grampi

Facepalm
crackmeup2.gif

If HD ever goes all liquid cooled, they'll go kicking and screaming the whole way...

Aside from the VRSC and new "baby revolution" motors in the Street models. Of course the sales of those are much lower than Sportsters and big twin models.

But yeah, people seem to forget the reason people like "ancient engine tech" is SIMPLICITY. One less fluid to maintain. One less fluid to leak. One less failure point in the engine.

Harley knows its buyer segments and what they like. They make the bikes that their people will buy. I can say that recently, my bike company started churning out liquid cooled "retro" models....and the sales have not been even close to what they expected. Hard to tell people their Bonneville is retro when it has a big old radiator hanging out front.

Yes, Harley lives on nostalgia...and what is so wrong with that as long as people want it? It isn't like there are about a dozen other makers out there as alternative for consumers to choose from that have their niches carved out.

One thing is for sure, if they go full liquid cooled someday, the air cooled prices will certainly climb and the aftermarket will be all too happy to keep churning out the parts to keep the old ones alive.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: gman2304

No I'm not, but what's the big deal with HD and their refusal to change? Liquid cooling is better than air cooling, so why not use it?

Granted, they do now... But couldn't you say the same thing about Porsche until not too many years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back