Bought a 01 Tahoe that someone put green into

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for ways to approach this. The overflow tank looks pretty nasty inside so I'm going to remove and power wash that out. I have no idea when green was added. The cooling system works fine. It had a waterpump replaced recently. The owner said he thought it leaked green coolant when the water pump failed but he wasn't sure. Highly doubt some one converted it correctly, it's had a few owners.

I would rather not stir up too much with an aggressive flush. I figured first things first, I'll drain the coolant and try to peek inside the radiator and see how it looks. Then run water through it, leave it filled with water and drive it. Then see how it looks. Maybe throw a little vinegar in on the 2nd water refill if the drained water looks dirty?

Also, I knew it had mismatched coolant in it when I bought it. It has a couple other issues too that let me get it for a great price.

I wouldn't call draining and filling the radiator with water 2-3 times "aggressive," so that's what I would do and then fill back to 50/50.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
I wouldn't call draining and filling the radiator with water 2-3 times "aggressive," so that's what I would do and then fill back to 50/50.

+1. Are you planning on using Dexcool (is that what is specd) or something else?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I would not worry about it having green in it.

If the vehicle had any appreciable quantity of DexCool left in the system when green was added, I'd be quite concerned. Use one or the other, not both.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

If the vehicle had any appreciable quantity of DexCool left in the system when green was added, I'd be quite concerned. Use one or the other, not both.

Isn't almost all of the generic parts store antifreeze green "mix with anything coolant"? I wouldn't worry about it being green.

You are dealing with an unknown, is it AM&M or true green? You don't know so flush it right and get it taken care of.
I would pull the heater hoses, lower radiator hose and thermostat then wash it all out with garden hose. When it runs crystal clear poor a couple of gallons distilled water through the block and a gallon each through the radiator and heater core.

Connect the heater and lower hose but leave the thermostat out and refill the system with pure dexcool, the new coolant will push most of the remaining water out, when you see coolant at the thermostat replace the thermostat and housing then continue filling with dexcool 50/50.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Isn't almost all of the generic parts store antifreeze green "mix with anything coolant"? I wouldn't worry about it being green.

No it isnt, Peak and a few others still makes green and its common.

As was mentioned pull the tstat flush system clean with distilled. Put new tstat and rad cap on then Find total system capacity divide by two put that much Co Centrale in and refill with distilled take it for a nice drive let it Co overnight and top off rad and/or tank with distilled water. Finish by being g happy you exactly what with and how long that cooling system is good for.

I pulled a car fax and saw in 05, around 39,000 miles, the dealership "flushed and replaced coolant" I wonder if the original owner did have it switched.

I think true green has a different look than AMA. This looks like regular green to me. I'll know more by the end of the day when I start working on it.

It's a 5.3L. All the GM LS engines are dry intake. Really easy to remove too.

The heater hoses/core holds a lot of coolant/sediment and I would flush those with a garden hose as well. As a plus, most heaters work better after flushing out the years of sediment and junk. Just flush it and drive it with water for a bit. I would not use vinegar. It might damage the seals or bearings in the water pump.

A big orange and green mess came out, it eventually was just a shade of green. I let the hose push water through for 15 minutes until things were clear. Re-filled with water and 8oz of vinegar. I will drain it again after a few heat cycles. The overflow tank is really dirty, I might have to replace it to get the appearance I want.

Get a Prestone flush and fill kit. Install in the heater hose. Flush till it's clear. Drain and add 50/50 Dex.

So far the water and vinegar mixes did a good job. I've got it coming out clear. I'm going to remove and power wash the reservour then give it my patented mix of artisean well water and DexCool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back