1 Year of UOAs 2003 Jetta TDI 310,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
It would be nice if one could readily and easily test one's oil with something akin to a magic wand. Of course, so many of these products don't stick around long term, which probably says a lot about the quality.

Could be, though the user reviews I've seen are generally guardedly positive. (guarded because there's generally no confirmatory data from UOA available.)

I'd guess another reason is just the niche nature of the market. Most people aren't interested, and many of those that are will go for UOA, so you're appealing to a very small group in the middle.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Ducked
yes, the rockers would be...

so where's the iron coming from? Did you do a compression test?

Compressions seem within spec, though I could only use the push-on conical adaptor on my cheapo compression tester (screw in adaptor the wrong size, not sure how they're specified but I'll try and source one that fits next time I'm in Japan) so not very accurate.

Would poor compression be much of a clue? I wouldn't have thought you'd get much magnetic steel into the oil from the rings (aren't they stainless anyway?) though I can't remember ever having put a magnet on one. The block is aluminium.

Linklng to that old thread reminds me that, despite all the metal in the oil, I'm not really sure how much of a current problem I have. This also drags us back onto the general topic of UOA interpretation.

When I took the oil pump off there was a sludge-filled casting void in the base (maybe 20 mls, though I didn't measure it.) This may not have been the only one in the engine, and I doubt this feature is unique to this engine design.

It seems to be a tacit assumption that UOA data refers to changes in the preceeding OCI, with a (probably uncertain, since this varies) allowance for residual oil from the previous fill.

However, if the engine can store contaminants in a concentrated form, and release them later, it becomes much harder to work out what is going on. Contaminant release might be influenced by usage pattern, oil detergency or viscosity, for example, but these would be "legacy" contaminants, unrelated to the current status of the engine.

I havn't seen this possibility discussed, and wonder if its of general significance.

An aluminium block will have (wet or dry) iron sleeves, espevially those older engines. The newer engines could have a special alloy where the sleeves would've been. Rings aren't stainless.

The amount of iron you describe must come from somewhere. If it's a cam lobe, you should be able to see it. Since you can't see it, rings or liners, or even wrist pin is possible. I'd possibly consider a partial rebuild if it was my car, depending on the issue. If the liners are scored, I wouldn't do it.

Well, as noted above, the car has only scrap value, and, while I'd like to keep it going as long as I can, I may have to leave the country in a year or so, so sinking even more time and/or money in it doesn't make sense, especially without a specific diagnosis. I've probably already done more exploratory surgery than I should have.

As also noted above, I'm not sure what the current status is, because I think the engine stores contaminants, both because the sump doesn't drain well (theres a lip around the sump drain hole) and because there are casting voids.

I wonder if this is a general issue for UOA interpretation?

IF I have time I'd quite like to look into quantifying and perhaps characterising the metal, to give me a handle on the current status, and because it'd be an interesting "home science" project.

I'd guess another reason is just the niche nature of the market. Most people aren't interested, and many of those that are will go for UOA, so you're appealing to a very small group in the middle.

That's exactly it. It would be a bit daunting to get the work done, and the companies marketing such devices may not be willing to spend too much on testing, either, given that they want to be able to sell the things at a palatable price.

It would be a bit daunting to get the work done, and the companies marketing such devices may not be willing to spend too much on testing, either, given that they want to be able to sell the things at a palatable price.

Don't really see why it would be so very daunting. There are probably a few bitogers with such devices, and there are a lot of bitogers getting UOA's done. You'd just have to connect the two groups. There'd be postage costs, and someone would have to collate the data, but running stats is relatively painless these days.

One possible snag, however, might be a lack of "bad" samples. My impression is that the gizmo's mostly function as oil condemnation devices, and perhaps oil has to be worse than most bitogers would let it get, before that part of the performance envelope is reached.

Last edited:
What would be most daunting is, I mean, long term testing by a company manufacturing such a device. And, yes, the lack of what we'd call "bad" samples might be a bit of a snag, too. I'm not sure how many would volunteer to run an oil way too long.

A company making such a device could, possibly, partner up with a lab, who would have all kinds of tested samples with which to compare.

What would be most daunting is, I mean, long term testing by a company manufacturing such a device. And, yes, the lack of what we'd call "bad" samples might be a bit of a snag, too. I'm not sure how many would volunteer to run an oil way too long.

A company making such a device could, possibly, partner up with a lab, who would have all kinds of tested samples with which to compare.

Manufacturers of ANYTHING hardly ever seem to provide detailed performance testing data, not even the "Big Boys".

Basic example : Does synthetic oil measurably improve engine longevity? Its a general article of faith that it does, but I don't remember seeing any data on it, apart from some Amsoil bench tests, inconsistantly reported.

Last edited:
when you only consider wear, no they don't. however, the chance of getting stuck rings or cam followers (if applicable) is much less on synthetic oil, and if that happens you'll get accelerated wear or oil consumption.

True, but at least some oil companies do give some idea how long their oil is good for, whereas others claim their premium offerings are only good for OEM intervals, no matter how short.
wink.gif

True, but at least some oil companies do give some idea how long their oil is good for, whereas others claim their premium offerings are only good for OEM intervals, no matter how short.
wink.gif

My favorite example, so I've probably posted it before

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/172/lubricant-storage-life

Its titled "Lubricant Storage Life Limits - Industry Needs a Standard " and reports a survey of shelf life recommendations.

Table 4 (recommended shelf life for indoor storage at 20C) is especially instructive

Major oil company C: 10-30W Motor Oil (mineral) 1 YEAR
Major oil company C: 10-30W Motor Oil (PAO) 1 YEAR:
Major oil company D: 10-30W Motor Oil (mineral) 1 YEAR
Major oil company D: 10-30W Motor Oil (PAO) 1 YEAR:

Independant oil company B: 10-30W Motor Oil (mineral) Virtually unlimited *
Independant oil company B: 10-30W Motor Oil (PAO) : Virtually unlimited
Independant oil company C: 10-30W Motor Oil (mineral) : Infinite
Independant oil company C: 10-30W Motor Oil (PAO) : Infinite

1 year (!) isn’t very long, and a range of 1 year to infinity gives a Full Scale Deflection on my Bovine-Excrement-Index-O-METER.

Last edited:
Absolutely. One year is certainly too short, though. Heck, certain examples here have probably been on store shelves significantly longer than that. One store I was at, at least a couple years ago, still had SJ Castrol GTX on the shelf.
wink.gif

Absolutely. One year is certainly too short, though. Heck, certain examples here have probably been on store shelves significantly longer than that. One store I was at, at least a couple years ago, still had SJ Castrol GTX on the shelf.
wink.gif

In case I wasn't clear, its the 1 YEAR from the majors that I think has a high BEI. I find the "virtually unlimited" plausible.

Infinity is probably pushing it a bit, but I'm fairly sure I'm not going to be around to find out.

I bought all the oil I need for the next 20 years, this summer. Production date on the boxes is march 2016. I guess that shows where I stand
wink.gif

In front of a BIG pile of boxes?

I bought all the oil I need for the next 20 years, this summer. Production date on the boxes is march 2016. I guess that shows where I stand
wink.gif

In front of a BIG pile of boxes?

5 boxes for a total of 75 litres... not big at all.

Last edited:
I bought all the oil I need for the next 20 years, this summer.

I do have some dated stuff hanging around, and am in no rush to throw anything out.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back