2012 Honda Accord MPG...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: meep
sounds right for a 6 mile commute. engine doesn't spend enough time warm.

The OP's question is why did his previous Accord (also with a 2.4 engine) deliver better MPG on the same route?

Is the newer accord significantly heavier? Different gearing/trans?

It would be interesting to see what a block heater would do even in the summer. But for 12 miles a day, you still are only filling up like once a month? I fill up once a week so my 34 mpg isn't making up for the miles I do.

Car needs very little gas to maintain constant speed. You use lot of gas going from 0 speed to the speed that you want to go. There was a guy named Newton who explained that :)

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Amazing how most SUVs and trucks now get 20+ in mixed driving. I'll take the minor hit in mileage for the added utility and ride height SUVs and trucks offer.

Me too. Nothing like a big V-8 to get you up to speed in no time. The Mustang GT (4.6 auto) gets 20 mpg in mixed driving like what the OP is doing, but I drive like a granny. It makes a huge difference. I'm sure it would go way down if I wasn't driving like I was trying to conserve gas. OP does your transmission have a "sport mode"? That could make a difference too if you're not shifting up as quickly.

Last edited:
Driving 6 miles at a constant 45MPH is one thing. If OTOH, there are a dozen stop lights, traffic jams etc with speeds at other times going 65-70MPH the gas mileage will be quite different.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
your running a cold engine 50% of the time.
This is the reason.

I average 36 mpg over my 50 mile highway commute, but the mpg over the first few to dozen miles can be less than half that.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Take the girlfriend out to lunch 100 miles away in another town on your day off, cruise the highway real gently and fill it up when you get back and you'll see if the mpg is good on the highway. That should tell you if something is wrong. If it gets in the upper 20s I'd say something isn't right, if it gets in the 30s it should be fine.

200 miles of gas is only about $12-$13.

Ouch...over the weekend I drove 360mi with two kayaks on the roof and pulling an open 4x7 uhaul trailer with full coolers, bags boards, kennel for the great dane, and other odds-and-ends...the car was loaded to the gills, and when I filled up yesterday it came to 21mpg. When I have the car loaded like this I usually keep it in either 3rd or 4th gear to keep the revs high (between 3k-4k rpm) and it helps me keep up with highway traffic. It very well could be relating to a cold engine...I've got the manual transmission which I'm sure helps, but even in the city I'm seeing 25-28mpg regularly. On that note, it seems that my car doesn't reach operating temperature until I'm about 5-6mi into my summer route (sometimes in winter months it's 8-9mi before it's warm...I don't idle, I start her up and drive).

I agree with Nick1994, that'll be valuable information (and a wonderful surprise for your significant other)
cool.gif

Cheers!
Jordan

Didn't I recently brag about Honda V6 giving me 34 mpg on my daily commute with about 31 mpg average for the last 6K miles or so?

Follow Nick's advice and take her on a long distance drive to measure real high mileage and then we can decide if you have a problem or not.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Take the girlfriend out to lunch 100 miles away in another town on your day off, cruise the highway real gently and fill it up when you get back and you'll see if the mpg is good on the highway. That should tell you if something is wrong. If it gets in the upper 20s I'd say something isn't right, if it gets in the 30s it should be fine.

200 miles of gas is only about $12-$13.

That is a great suggestion! We may have to do this.

Ive been trying to remember to granny it more than usual. I will update you all when I fill up.

Well after a week of granny driving I only returned 23.69 MPG...which I suppose in on par with the ratings, although I did have some highway driving in the mix this time. Oh well, Ill just go back to my normal driving style. Seems to get the same MPG either way.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Well after a week of granny driving I only returned 23.69 MPG...which I suppose in on par with the ratings, although I did have some highway driving in the mix this time. Oh well, Ill just go back to my normal driving style. Seems to get the same MPG either way.
On my current tank I'm doing granny driving too to see what my mpg will be, I've been at only 24 mpg lately and the last one is 22.7 mpg. I drive the Camry hard, so I'll see if granny driving helps. I do well over 400 miles a week so it'll be a fast test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back