Strong Hurricane Pointed at Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A large system in the Atlantic now appears to be headed toward the US with a potential landfall in Florida or the East Coast in about a week. NOAA's National Hurricane Center has an advisory out on it.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php

JoeBastardi of Weatherbell Analytics in a recent tweet - @BigJoeBastardi - mentions the European Centre for Medium-Range Forecasts thinks it will hit as a Category 3.

I know these things can track differently, but for BITOG members on the east coast, please keep an eye on this.

Morons.... odds of this forecast being right are very low. Less than 20% I bet.

I have learned how to read forecast models like the GFS, NAM, and Such. I've seen massive blizzards forecast 16 days out, 12 days out, 10 days out, then 7 days out... then they are taken out of the forecast completely by day 4 out. Hurricane models like the HRWF and others are just as prone to change just like the others I've mentioned.

I will say that in 2003 Hurricane Isabel was forecast 5 days out quite accurately. Key part to that was the upper air pattern was pretty much locked in with a strong high pressure center building off the coast of Nova Scotia. This held the hurricane track on a steady northwest heading into Oregon Inlet NC. But that was a rarity in terms of accuracy that far out in advance.

I would suggest just staying attuned to what's going on and not get excited just yet. I don't start getting into until we are 3 days out from an event to start getting real serious. Whether it be winter storms or hurricanes.

JoeBastardi makes his money by scaring people. Just like the weather channel.

Last edited:
Two separate systems. The first could create problems followed quickly by an actual hurricane.

Waiting until the first tropical storm is imminent before getting your supplies doesn't sound wise....

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Morons.... odds of this forecast being right are very low. Less than 20% I bet.

I have learned how to read forecast models like the GFS, NAM, and Such.

I would suggest just staying attuned to what's going on and not get excited just yet. I don't start getting into until we are 3 days out from an event to start getting real serious. Whether it be winter storms or hurricanes.

Backup folks, let the expert speak.

I myself like to prepare a bit before 3 days.

Originally Posted By: Srt20

Hurricanes should scare folks in it's path.

I take all hurricanes seriously. Been in to many of them suckers to take it lightly.

Where I live, I stock up on all needed essentials at the start of the season, and then use the stuff up during the winter. Start over each spring.

You want to know when a hurricane is coming? You just watch gas prices, when they spike $2+ you know something is happening!

Last edited:
How many model forecasts have you ever looked at?? 0. I've looked at thousands of them. It's not rocket science learning how to understand and read them. Once you understand the parameters, how to interpret them, and when to take them seriously it is not all too hard. This last winter the major east coast storm I had a better idea what was going on then the world champions on local TV. .

Remember superstore Sandy?? Every person around here in southeast Va were buying all kinds of stuff for no reason. Why?? The storm was hitting north of our area and we were going to be on the weaker southwest side of it. We never lost power, minor damage. I was in line at the grocery store laughing at everyone. I had a some water 1 gallon which I buy normally anyway, two bananas, and some yogurt.

Now going back to Hurricane Isabel.... far different circumstance. This area was squeezed between high pressure to the north and the low of the hurricane, plus we were on the northeast quadrant which is the strongest part if the storm... far worse of a situation. The models were all very consistent for the last 7 days where that storm was coming ashore. That was a big deal.

I've been reading and understanding these forecast models since 2004. I don't... like you... have to rely upon what someone else thinks or interprets the models are forecasting. Eliminate the middle man. It's been very nice.

I have a ton of respect for the very good weather forecasters out there... and there are some very good ones at the local NWS Wakefield weather office. John Cash who was on channel 10 was very good as well. This area in southeast Va is especially hard in the winter time due to numerous factors.. . 1) if a storm is formed south and west of here where is the track at.. 50 miles can make a HUGE difference in what happens. 2) if the storm is forecast to form off the coast of Cape Hatteras how fast will it deepen?? 3) track of that new storm . Miller A type storms can be a bit "easier" to forecast but still can be hard. Miller B storms are very difficult for a variety of reasons. So yeah, these guys in this area have a rough time in difficult circumstances. Whereas areas north and east of here say up in the Sterling forecast area or Mt. Holly Philadelphia area usually have a fairly known quantity approaching so its a bit easier there. Though even there a difference if 50 miles in track has big impacts on what happens.

Again, I enjoy being able to take information and interpret it myself in a fashion that makes sense. Just like day after Christmas storm in 2010 here. When the fools on TV were saying 2-5 inches of snow.. I told my co workers at 3 pm that we were going to see 9-12 inches and up to 14. This was what I had figured out from the GFS and NAM models by taking the rain equivalent and changing it into snow using a 12:1 ratio. I broke it up into 6 hr blocks of time (from the models time UTZ) and came up with 9-12 possibly more. Well well... by 6 pm the champions on TV finally figured out what I had 12 hrs earlier in the day.... and greatly changed their forecast and said EXACTLY what I had told my co workers earlier. And I told them that I just didn't pull the numbers out if thin air... I had done the math, upper air thickness values were supportive of snow, and the track was in line for a big event for Southeast Va. And guess what?? Norfolk had 14.3 inches if snow. The hospital had close to that much as well. And, I didn't need anyone else to figure it out for me. But, you do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
You want to know when a hurricane is coming? You just watch gas prices, when they spike $2+ you know something is happening!

We went up 20 cents in one day!

Originally Posted By: bbhero
How many model forecasts have you ever looked at?? 0. I've looked at thousands of them. It's not rocket science learning how to understand and read them. Once you understand the parameters, how to interpret them, and when to take them seriously it is not all too hard. This last winter the major east coast storm I had a better idea what was going on then the world champions on local TV. .

Remember superstore Sandy?? Every person around here in southeast Va were buying all kinds of stuff for no reason. Why?? The storm was hitting north of our area and we were going to be on the weaker southwest side of it. We never lost power, minor damage. I was in line at the grocery store laughing at everyone. I had a some water 1 gallon which I buy normally anyway, two bananas, and some yogurt.

Now going back to Hurricane Isabel.... far different circumstance. This area was squeezed between high pressure to the north and the low of the hurricane, plus we were on the northeast quadrant which is the strongest part if the storm... far worse of a situation. The models were all very consistent for the last 7 days where that storm was coming ashore. That was a big deal.

I've been reading and understanding these forecast models since 2004. I don't... like you... have to rely upon what someone else thinks or interprets the models are forecasting. Eliminate the middle man. It's been very nice.

I have a ton of respect for the very good weather forecasters out there... and there are some very good ones at the local NWS Wakefield weather office. John Cash who was on channel 10 was very good as well. This area in southeast Va is especially hard in the winter time due to numerous factors.. . 1) if a storm is formed south and west of here where is the track at.. 50 miles can make a HUGE difference in what happens. 2) if the storm is forecast to form off the coast of Cape Hatteras how fast will it deepen?? 3) track of that new storm . Miller A type storms can be a bit "easier" to forecast but still can be hard. Miller B storms are very difficult for a variety of reasons. So yeah, these guys in this area have a rough time in difficult circumstances. Whereas areas north and east of here say up in the Sterling forecast area or Mt. Holly Philadelphia area usually have a fairly known quantity approaching so its a bit easier there. Though even there a difference if 50 miles in track has big impacts on what happens.

Again, I enjoy being able to take information and interpret it myself in a fashion that makes sense. Just like day after Christmas storm in 2010 here. When the fools on TV were saying 2-5 inches of snow.. I told my co workers at 3 pm that we were going to see 9-12 inches and up to 14. This was what I had figured out from the GFS and NAM models by taking the rain equivalent and changing it into snow using a 12:1 ratio. I broke it up into 6 hr blocks of time (from the models time UTZ) and came up with 9-12 possibly more. Well well... by 6 pm the champions on TV finally figured out what I had 12 hrs earlier in the day.... and greatly changed their forecast and said EXACTLY what I had told my co workers earlier. And I told them that I just didn't pull the numbers out if thin air... I had done the math, upper air thickness values were supportive of snow, and the track was in line for a big event for Southeast Va. And guess what?? Norfolk had 14.3 inches if snow. The hospital had close to that much as well. And, I didn't need anyone else to figure it out for me. But, you do.

Keep us informed ace forecaster.

Way too early to make any useful predictions.

As for preparedness, if you live in Hurricane territory, you should be prepared regardless of any individual storm, just as anyone in any part of the world should be prepared for the normal weather patterns and phenomena.

In other words, nothing to see here. Yet.

Originally Posted By: Srt20

You got that right!

Well, we need the rain on the East Coast. It's been in the 90's and no rain. West coast has been clobbered. I've been in Florida for four hurricanes and I think they are overrated. Been in Tornados and North Eastern blizzards and I think both are worse. Tornados terrify me the worse. Watched one level a Amish Barn like nothing. Got way too close because of lack of fear. But Hurricanes, you can go out afterwards, blizzard , you are stuck for days, sometimes weeks. Hey, if a woman can go over Nigeria falls in a Barrell, I can survive a hurricane under my work bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back