Rally car on a 1/2 mile oval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Sprint car races last night. Lower cost/power cars than the Outlaw cars. 360 wet sump iron block motors as I understand. Impressively fast nonetheless. I wondered if any other vehicle could go anywhere as fast on these dirt oval tracks other than other classes of oval track cars. I wondered about rally cars and thought about Sebastian Loeb's Peugeot 208 T16 that he set the record up Pike's Peak. Optimize it for dirt, let SL drive it and I suspect it'd be within a few seconds of the 360 engine Sprint cars. It is 875HP and weighs about 1700lbs and is 4WD.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/exclusive-close-loebs-peugeot-208-t16

How do you think this or other cars would do on a 1/2 mile oval? Some of the fastest off road pickups might go pretty good too, as well as the Dakar 4WD Porsche 911s.

I think you would be hard pressed to find something faster around a track like Eldora than a 410 winged sprint car or even a super late model.

How much slower is a Super Late Model than a 410 winged sprint?

I'm talking about how much slower would a non oval track specific car be than a 360 engine sprint car such as Loeb's Pikes Peak car optimized for dirt oval. Its clear that nothing will be faster on a dirt oval than a 410 winged car.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I think you would be hard pressed to find something faster around a track like Eldora than a 410 winged sprint car or even a super late model.

I suppose with the 2 lb/hp 360ci sprint cars, a ~2 lb/hp 4wd rally/pikes peak car with its ground effects(if the track is smooth enough) might run with them if they can get roughly equal rubber under the car.
It would be fun to see what lap time the Peugeot team could get out of their car on the oval, and then let a dirt track team set it up and drive it.

So at Eldora which is a 1/2 mile dirt track the 410 winged record is 12.707 seconds. Late model record is 14.866 seconds. A 360 winged car record is 13.895 seconds.

Some things you have to consider. A properly setup oval car will have massive stagger. The right rear tire will be significantly taller than the left rear. Also the offset of the wheels will push them out more on the right for more grip.

I would say that one of the cars you mentioned with a proper stagger will be pretty close. That being said I would only want a proper sprint car driver in that thing. Loeb is an amazing driver, but I would want Rico Abreu, Kyle Larson, Ricky Stenhouse, Josh Wise, Tony Stewart, Donny Schatz, or Steve Kinser in it. A few weeks ago I would have said Bryan Clauson without question, may he R.I.P.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Went to Sprint car races last night. Lower cost/power cars than the Outlaw cars. 360 wet sump iron block motors as I understand. Impressively fast nonetheless. I wondered if any other vehicle could go anywhere as fast on these dirt oval tracks other than other classes of oval track cars. I wondered about rally cars and thought about Sebastian Loeb's Peugeot 208 T16 that he set the record up Pike's Peak. Optimize it for dirt, let SL drive it and I suspect it'd be within a few seconds of the 360 engine Sprint cars. It is 875HP and weighs about 1700lbs and is 4WD.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/exclusive-close-loebs-peugeot-208-t16

How do you think this or other cars would do on a 1/2 mile oval? Some of the fastest off road pickups might go pretty good too, as well as the Dakar 4WD Porsche 911s.

USAC 360ci non wing sprint cars have a minimum weight of 1475 pounds with driver. Not sure what ASCS 360 wing sprints weight limit is. A 360 sprint car engine puts out about 700 HP. A 410 engine puts out close to 900 hp.

Last edited:
IIRC, WoO which is 410, is 1400 lbs.

The wings help hold the cars down a lot as well.

IMO a rally car wouldn't even be in the modified range. 2 completely different designed suspensions for their racing applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back