Foam using Delvac in XSR900 w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some foaming like this is common, especially in unitized engines (my T100 looks the same right after shutoff). As long as your oil level is correct and you don't have a drop in oil pressure you'll be fine.

Edit: FWIW, I'm currently also running Delvac 1300 15W-40.

Last edited:
I see a light foam on top of a lot of MC oils. There's a lot going on there and MC engines spin higher RPM than car/truck usually. It's completely normal. The oil down at the pick-up point will be full liquid state. No issues
smile.gif

While I am sure that wont cause any problems (remember that the oil pickup is at the bottom of the oil pan, well below the level of foam) it sure is a little unsightly for us OCD BITOG folks.

I would let your oil level settle for a while and let the foam dissipate. Based on how high the foam goes, you may have over filled your sump a little. Remember that the oil level should be between the lines, not above the top line. If your oil level is near the top line, go ahead and lower to just below the midway point and try that. I know many motorcycle owner manuals tell you to check the oil by riding for 10 minutes or so and then putting the bike on level ground, shutting it off and waiting 10 minutes or so. This gives the oil level time to balance out AND time for any unsightly foam to dissipate. If you look in your owner's manual, I bet you a nickel you are supposed to wait for a period of time after you shut the engine off to check your oil...

If I remember correctly, you are still breaking in that machine and may be due for an oil change soon. If it really bothers you, go ahead and dump that oil and try a motorcycle specific oil and see if you get the same amount of foam. I am betting that you will, it may just be how that engine is.

Originally Posted By: AMC
While I am sure that wont cause any problems (remember that the oil pickup is at the bottom of the oil pan, well below the level of foam) it sure is a little unsightly for us OCD BITOG folks.

I would let your oil level settle for a while and let the foam dissipate. Based on how high the foam goes, you may have over filled your sump a little. Remember that the oil level should be between the lines, not above the top line. If your oil level is near the top line, go ahead and lower to just below the midway point and try that. I know many motorcycle owner manuals tell you to check the oil by riding for 10 minutes or so and then putting the bike on level ground, shutting it off and waiting 10 minutes or so. This gives the oil level time to balance out AND time for any unsightly foam to dissipate. If you look in your owner's manual, I bet you a nickel you are supposed to wait for a period of time after you shut the engine off to check your oil...

If I remember correctly, you are still breaking in that machine and may be due for an oil change soon. If it really bothers you, go ahead and dump that oil and try a motorcycle specific oil and see if you get the same amount of foam. I am betting that you will, it may just be how that engine is.

I appreciate the help. Bike is on its 4th oil change. It has 2100 miles on it now so i think it is broken in. I will lower the level to midway and reavaluate. Thanks!

Let us know what your results are!

My Yami is at 3,700 miles now and it is still smoothing out. Talking to other Yami owners, the new yami's are not fully broken in till almost 5,000 miles.

Let us know what your results are!

My Yami is at 3,700 miles now and it is still smoothing out. Talking to other Yami owners, the new yami's are not fully broken in till almost 5,000 miles.

Wow 5k? I'll need tires before it breaks in then lol. The bike is filled to the max level. I will drain it to midway this weekend and see if that helps. I appreciate all the help!

That's surface foam and while harmless, that's quite a lot. Have a similar sight glass on my current and my former Duc and only one oil ever exhibited surface foam and that was Amsoil's 10W40 MCT motorcycle specific oil (which also sheared down to 10.9 cSt 30 weight), and the Amsoil's layer was only a couple mm's high, nothing like the pictured Delvac.

What you don't want to see is entrained air in the oil below the foam. If you're going to run HDEO, why not run the more popularly used Rotella line up?

I've been following this thread for a while.

The fact that OP has used a diesel oil in such a technically advanced bike (moreso than mine) has given me inspiration and the will to try HDEO in my own (Yamaha Bolt).

There's Delvac over where i live...1300 i believe as well!

OP, any update on the foaming? is it bad? Did it go away with a proper M/C oil?

That's fairly normal... as long as its only on the surface of the oil. My FZ-07 does the same. Too high an oil level and/or short trips also cause it (moisture). I've run Yamalube (factory fill), Rotella (15W-40) and Mobil 1 mix (15W-50 & 5W-40)

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
That's fairly normal... as long as its only on the surface of the oil. My FZ-07 does the same. Too high an oil level and/or short trips also cause it (moisture). I've run Yamalube (factory fill), Rotella (15W-40) and Mobil 1 mix (15W-50 & 5W-40)

I drained the oil today and I got out 3qts. It was overfilled about 1/4 quart. Where I had been filling it wasn't completely level. I went ahead and changed the oil. I had a $25 gift card that I used at a local M/C shop and bought MA2 rated BelRay EXL basically free.

I'll run that a couple thousand miles and see how that does. More than likely I'll stick with Delvac after this fill as I believe the foam is a combination of slight overfilling as well as checking too soon. Manual states to turn off engine and wait a few minutes before checking. Likely any foam would dissipate in 3 mins time.

Originally Posted By: FWR132
Ah so it was overfilled slightly...no wonder it foams...interesting to see the results. Keen on using Delvac

Yes, the manual states 2.85qt with filter change. 2.6 puts it at the full line. I'm thinking there is a small amount that won't drain out.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: FWR132
Ah so it was overfilled slightly...no wonder it foams...interesting to see the results. Keen on using Delvac

Yes, the manual states 2.85qt with filter change. 2.6 puts it at the full line. I'm thinking there is a small amount that won't drain out.

That is pretty typical. I have to take my yami off the center stand and onto the side stand with the drain plugs out (the super tenere has 2) and then let it sit for a while to get all the oil out.

In your case, I would add exactly 2.5 quarts of oil and then fire it up. Let it run for a few and then check the oil per the manual. That should get you very close to being correct without over filling. If you are not changing the filter, go with 2 qts and start from there.

Just wanted to chime in for donnyj08 with a data point since I too have an XSR. When checking the oil level sight glass after riding, I see zero signs of foaming oil. That's with the factory oil fill - probably Yamalube 10W-40. My oil level hot is just a hair above the top of the sight glass, and basically right on the full line when cold.

I just got back from a ride with a buddy after we changed his oil using Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40. No foam or other issues to report. The bike is a kawasaki vulcan 900. My friend says the engine is smooth, clutch feel is very good and shifting is better than before.

I just got back from a ride with a buddy after we changed his oil using Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40. No foam or other issues to report. The bike is a kawasaki vulcan 900. My friend says the engine is smooth, clutch feel is very good and shifting is better than before.

The BelRay I have in there now has a tiny layer of foam
If you check it immediately after shutting it off. It is about 1/4 of what I saw with Delvac. I also have had 0 false neutrals since I put in a MA2 rated oil. I was getting false nuetrals on quick downshifts with Delvac.

I have some 10w40 Shell advance on hand next. After I run through that I'll give Rotella a try and see how it does.

The manual says to wait a few minutes after shutting off before checking the oil. By then it is always free of foam.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

The BelRay I have in there now has a tiny layer of foam if you check it immediately after shutting it off. It is about 1/4 of what I saw with Delvac. I also have had 0 false neutrals since I put in a MA2 rated oil. I was getting false nuetrals on quick downshifts with Delvac.

I have some 10w40 Shell advance on hand next. After I run through that I'll give Rotella a try and see how it does.

The manual says to wait a few minutes after shutting off before checking the oil. By then it is always free of foam.

Interesting. Maybe the XSR engine is a little more picky about its oil selection. Perhaps too picky to bother using an HDEO? Rotella T3 15w-40 has no moly and a slightly weaker additive pack than delvac or delo. I wonder if that would solve the problems you had with delvac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back