1997 Avalon AC Replacement Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
1997 Avalon XL 270,000 miles. No parts of the AC have ever been replaced--everything is original. Shop diagnosed that the expansion valve requires replacing, which requires pulling the dash. Figure I'll replace the evaporator core and heating core also. The blower wheel, while dusty, still functions, and I thought I would try to lube it/check the bearings but it is a 1 piece assembly. It turns ok but not what I would call "easily", i.e. you spin it and it comes to a stop pretty quickly. Does not make any noise. A new one is only $38 but if there is nothing wrong with this one I would just as soon not spend the money, particularly since it can be replaced later without pulling the dash. Thoughts???

Also any suggestions on other parts I should look at while the dash is out? I'm replacing my instrument panel lights with LED's but would appreciate any other suggestions. Pulling the dash was not a particularly joyful job and hope I never have to do it again...

Thanks to all in advance....

Originally Posted By: bcossa2001
which requires pulling the dash.

Are you gonna do that without any service information ? You're one brave soul if you do. . .

Hey welcome back Merkava! Were you on vacation or something?
smile.gif

Most Japanese cars of that era have an evaporator box. Are you sure the whole dash needs to be removed? With the box design you just take the glove compartment off at the hinges, recover refrigerant and disconnect lines under the hood, pull evaporator box through the glove compartment hole and crack it open on the bench to work on the TXV or evaporator.

You will find the evaporator is very dirty but likely more solid than any new one you can buy today.

Replacing heater core would involve more major disassembly.

Last edited:
Using a Haynes manual to remove and replace. Probably more foolish than brave
crazy.gif

Dash is out, the "box" containing the evaporator coil and heater core is out. Evap coil was filthy (car has no interior air filter) and numerous bent fins. Everything is out and ready to go back in....already purchased evap coil and heater core and expansion valve from Rock Auto. Interesting--the original expansion valve had R8 R12 stamped on it. New one has R134a stamped on it. Car has always been 134a....

As you pull the dash and go through that hassle, be sure to replace any o ring you encounter, consider refreshing the barrier hoses, blower motor brushes, etc.

I was going to suggest replacing all the foam insulation and any asphalt-impregnated cork (called cork insulation tape) you'll encounter that seals the air ducts and the tubes leading to and coming from the evaporator.
Mine (foam) was very old, brittle, and turning back to tar or whatever it comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back