How fast is your internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ISP: Comcast
Type: Broadband Cable
Modem: Arris TG862G Docsis 3.0 Modem/Wifi Router Combo
Plan: Home Blast = 150 Mbps Download / 15 Mbps Upload (*)

* - I think my account info on the Comcast site is off. It says my plan is 150/15 but I think it is actually their highest which is 250/25. See more below.

Speed Test Results( 11AM ):

Comments:
I recently re-upped with a new Comcast TV/Internet/Phone bundle deal and as part of the package the lady said I would be put on their fastest home internet plan. If so it should be 250/25 not the 150/15 my account info shows. I think it is actually 250/25 which would line up better with speeds I have seen.

I Haven't checked my actual speed results until recently though but I definitely have noticed a big improvement( and it was FAST before )since the upgraded service bundle. I can download a huge file in just seconds now. I mean ZING and done. It was fast before but man it screams now.

I was up really late the other night( actually early morning )doing some work and noticed it seemed even faster than I had noticed since the swap. So I jumped over to speed test and checked and was blown away. It was like 230 Mbps for download and 20 Mbps on upload. I wish I had thought to copy the results for posting but I was tired and not thinking ahead. I am a little bored this morning so I thought I would retest and then post to see what everyone else sees for speed?

11AM on a weekend is high use for this area so that is why I am lower today then the other night. Still, 180 Mbps download is nothing to complain about. I actually am going to update a friend's computer for him this coming week and he is on old and S-L-O-W DSL that is like 12 Mbps. It has always seemed slow when working on it but now with this new speed I have it is going to feel like I am back on dial up now when working on his.

My DSL is 12down/.7up so I have nothing to brag about as far as speed goes. I'm the only user here and I can run 2 desktops and 1 video stream with no problems. I could have 25 from the DSL provider, or 50 if I wanted to move to Time Warner...but I don't want to pay any more money. As it is, the DSL with bundled POTS phone costs $90 after all taxes & fees and that is a "price for life". I'd be interested in hearing what 150/15 from Comcast actually costs. The following are tests to my wireless desktop:

When I had Comcast 100mbps I got about 120. I now have 50, but get above 75. I don't think I could reasonably use 180, unless everyone in the house was simultaneously watching Netflix. And then I'd hit the data cap in about ten days

Last edited:
Essentially the same as you, NHHEMI.
4772863.png

This is the highest tier in our area. 150/10

I'd give up some download speed for more upload. A 100/50 tier would be perfect. Come on DOCSIS 3.1...

I live in a very rural area and it took me two years of begging for Comcast to build to us. Finally happened last summer. They had to extend their service 8k feet to get it here.

Last edited:
You guys who are around 20+ Mbps should also make sure your modem, router, and network cards are all 10/100/1000 gigabit spec. For wireless I think you would want to be on 5ghz/wireless AC to ensure top speeds as well.

I suppose you could also make the argument that ones network cables should also be at least Cat5e to support these speeds.

I've only got around 60Mbps down and 25Mbps up but I don't ever find myself complaining about things being too slow.

I have been using this little internet traffic speed program for years. I can not find it anymore online but I saved the .exe to use on all my computers. There is no installing all you do is double click the exe. It reads the speed at your computer (true speed in my opinion) not the speed at some nearby comcast terminal.

You can download the small exe file from my own server

http://bikersaloon.com/nettraffic.exe

Matt
www.bikersaloon.com

Screenshot%202016-08-21%2011.52.jpg

http://bikersaloon.com/nettraffic.exe

PS it was freeware

Last edited:
Faster than me. But I'm old and don't really give a *$#@. I wish someone,including Time/Warner, could explain to me why my TV comes on with the pink screen of death about every three start-ups. Not the blue screen of death, the pink screen of death.The "help" button on my Samsung remote is useful for some problems but cannot correct the pink screen of death. So far, the only way I have found out how to fix the problem is to fish out the T/W remote, enter the code for the TV manufacturer, and then when the screen goes black, use the Samsung help button. There must be an explanation of why the *%$#@!^&* screen comes on pink but so far, no one has an answer. Has anyone with T/W had this problem and found a fix? Before I moved here, we used a cable company out of Kearney,Nebraska and never had the pink screen of death problem. That cable company did not use a cable box. I think the problem is using the T/W cable box but can't find anyone to fix it.Any help would be greatly appreciated as the only thing I am getting from T/W is the monthly invoice.In surfing the internet this AM, a T/W questionaire popped up asking subscribers to rate their service. F-

Mbps download
Mbps upload

Pretty slow today. I have tested in the past and was over 100mbps download

I had 15 Mbps service and my ISP upgraded me to a 30 Mbps service for the same price. My 30 Mbps service isn't any faster at all than my old 15 Mbps service. I never see any server send me anything faster than 8 Mbps other than a Microsoft update server. Apple servers are slow in comparison. What I've noticed is that ping time means a lot and having a good cable modem and a router with a fast chip in it matters.

Last edited:
I think you have a rear projection set, with a lamp. I have seen similar symptoms.

When it goes bad shift to another source (DVD, Blu-ray, AppleTV or Roku) to name a few.

If that source is OK its a sign that it might be your cable box at fault.

First guess though its a failing optical "engine". Flat panels today are so cheap, and you'd have a bigger room as well as next to no operating cost on the new set. In my area 60" 1080p HD sets start about 800 and UHD 2160p about $1200

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back