Napa synthetic vs pennzoil plat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently I'm running pennzoil platinum in my chevy silverado. How would napa synthetic compare? Really eye balling the 2.99 sale

Well it's Dexos approved and is known to be good oil. I dunno if Pennz Plat good, but very close
smile.gif

Entirely different add pack. Lots of sodium and no moly.
The NAPA Synpower clone may not have TBN retention as good as that of the PP but if it carries the dexos logo it should be fine for your Chevy out to the limits of the IOLM.
FWIW, Valvoline oils typically show very low wear metals in UOAs.
I posted one in Aug '12 from my old BMW using Nextgen Maxlife and the wear metals were supernaturally low with good TBN as well.
Not using any Valvoline now, but I have used plenty in the past and I do have a fair quantity in my stash so I'll be using it again.

From the VOA I've seen, there are some positives and negatives that much more knowledgeable car guys can explain.

BUT, if price is your ulimate concern, you're in my ballpark.

Keep an eye out for mail-in rebates for major brands, if you have any particular oil in mind. Right now, Mobil 1 (Synthetic, High Mileage, Advanced Fuel Economy, and Extended Performance, plus Diesel and Motorcycle oils) has $12 off per 5-quarts at participating retailers (of which Napa Auto Parts is on the list, among others), limit to 2. Rebate becomes $15 if you throw in a Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter.

If you're in no rush, keep an eye out for the next Pennzoil Platinum rebate window, I ended up paying about $38 (received my rebate in less than a month) for 25-quarts of Platinum in June.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nr974
....If you're in no rush, keep an eye out for the next Pennzoil Platinum rebate window, I ended up paying about $38 (received my rebate in less than a month) for 25-quarts of Platinum in June.

The PP rebate window has been open since the start of 2016. It ends on Dec 31st. $10/jug rebate. I've gotten a couple jugs so far with rebate for a net $2.57/qt.

This oil has been gathering a lot of attention lately because of the sale,mwhich is funny because that oil goes on sale quite a bit throughout the year. Personally I'm not a fan of it - used it a few times over the last couple years - and it tends to burn in my car. Having said that, it's dexos approved, it's rebadged Valvoline...it uses sodium rather than Moly and I think it's fine for 5,000 mile OCI's.

Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower and great stuff! You can use the same OCI you use with PP, including the OLM's suggestions if your truck is equipped with it.

The PP rebate window has been open since the start of 2016. It ends on Dec 31st.

Oh boy, you are right! For some reason, I'd thought the promotion had "ended" officially. I have purchased my household limit, but I know others who could take advantage on my behalf.

With only a little bit of extra effort you can get the PP for cheaper than the Napa synthetic when you include the rebate. Stick with the PP.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Pennzoil Platinum is a much better oil but the NAPA Synthetic is still a solid choice for its price & it carries DEXOS approval as well.

Define "much better". If I had to pick I'd pick PP, but no one will notice any qualitative differences between them in real world service...

I'm not all that worried about price. My 04 silverado takes 6 quarts so even full price at Walmart is under $30. It's just the 2.99 sale caught my attention. I typically will only run whichever oil in this truck to 5k or maybe 7500. I bought the truck in July and did an oil change when I got it with pennzoil plat hasn't used a drop or anything and doesn't seem to have any issues. I would possibly like it to be a little quieter engine wise. It's not making any bad engine noises.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: Branson304
Pennzoil Platinum is a much better oil but the NAPA Synthetic is still a solid choice for its price & it carries DEXOS approval as well.

Define "much better". If I had to pick I'd pick PP, but no one will notice any qualitative differences between them in real world service...

If your truck is driven like a typical person, NAPA syn is more than enough. I can get PP for $19.99 every couple months and I just bought some $2.99 NAPA syn. I'm set for a year or 18 months.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I drive normally. No heavy towing. Just daily driving to school and what not.

Then buy what's cheapest in terms of rebates/sales of any name brand oil and follow the owner's manual. Spend the extra $5 on Jimmy Johns with the significant other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back