1 Year Oil/2 year Filter Change -2011 Silverado?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKN

I have a 2011-Silverado 5.3 used pretty much used for towing. It's coming up on 1 year and the OLM reads 15%. The oil has 8,000 Miles on it. (Mobil One with a Fram Ultra Filter).

Do I need to change the Fram Ultra-or can it go two years and approximately 15,000 miles?

I rather not change it if it's not necessary.

My Silverado has a Fram Ultra that was installed in Aug 2014 - it's on it's second oil change that was performed Sept 2015.
The oil life monitor currently is at 40%
Don't plan to change it until it reaches 20% , which could be a few months from now.

CKN how much snow and ice does your area receive?? How much road salt is it exposed to?? And lastly how does the filter can look to you?? If it looks very good and free of any rust I would say go for it and leave it on there. Only one caveat I would say though, is to monitor the oil filter can for any signs of rust. That would be my only concern about having a oil filter on for that long.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
CKN how much snow and ice does your area receive?? How much road salt is it exposed to?? And lastly how does the filter can look to you?? If it looks very good and free of any rust I would say go for it and leave it on there. Only one caveat I would say though, is to monitor the oil filter can for any signs of rust. That would be my only concern about having a oil filter on for that long.

Good point. However, the truck is not driven in the winter.

Well there Captain I would let it roll on then
smile.gif

That would be my plan given that circumstance.

Some car companies say that you can change out the filter every other oil change. Chevy doesn't. They want it replaced every time. Look at your owners manual.
If it were me I would just change out the filter. Hey, it's only $7 or so. Over the life of your oil change the cost of a Fram Ultra is .000875 cents per mile.
But I guess if you are unemployed and having trouble paying the next electric bill then go for it.

What's the reason for not wanting to change it - cost, difficulty in accessing the filter, something else? I know I think like a dinosaur, but as an apprentice I was taught "Never run clean oil through a dirty filter" and it's stuck with me for life!

That filter is good for 15000 miles according to advertising and I will bet a whole lot of testing.

Many folks on this forum change their filters every other time.

I think you are fine for 2 oil changes or 15000 miles

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Some car companies say that you can change out the filter every other oil change. Chevy doesn't. They want it replaced every time. Look at your owners manual.
If it were me I would just change out the filter. Hey, it's only $7 or so. Over the life of your oil change the cost of a Fram Ultra is .000875 cents per mile.
But I guess if you are unemployed and having trouble paying the next electric bill then go for it.

That last line was uncalled for. OP - reuse the filter, it will be fine.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

That last line was uncalled for. OP - reuse the filter, it will be fine.

I wasn't trying to be a Smarty Pants in any way, shape or form. Just like the other poster said, why send clean oil thru a dirty filter? Also, the filter will retain a half a quart or so of old depleted contaminated oil. Why not just start with a clean slate with fresh oil, as much of the old depleted oil drained and a new filter unless cost is really a concern? Sorry if you got butt hurt but I stand by my statement.

I want to thank everyone for their replies. I am going to conduct a visual inspection of the outside of the filter. If it looks good-I'm leaving it in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back