0w20 vs 5w20 both synthetic for mazda skyactiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new 2016 Mazda 6 with skyactiv gas engine. I have lots of 5w20 from autozone hauls. Would this be alright you think?
All of it is synthetic of different kinds. Lots of it is gold bottle castrol. Manufacturer calls for 0w20.

I don't see why not. But my new ride called for 0w20 and you could use 5w20
I used 5w and regardless of what I read here I never got the same mpg as I did with the OEM 0w20.
So I switched back to 0w20 and my mpg returned.
And no it wasn't in tenths like you read here. It was quite a bit so from now on its 0w for me

Originally Posted By: maintenanceMan
Bought a new 2016 Mazda 6 with skyactiv gas engine. I have lots of 5w20 from autozone hauls. Would this be alright you think?
All of it is synthetic of different kinds. Lots of it is gold bottle castrol. Manufacturer calls for 0w20.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I don't see why not. But my new ride called for 0w20 and you could use 5w20
I used 5w and regardless of what I read here I never got the same mpg as I did with the OEM 0w20.
So I switched back to 0w20 and my mpg returned.
And no it wasn't in tenths like you read here. It was quite a bit so from now on its 0w for me

Originally Posted By: maintenanceMan

If your MPG was off by more than a tenth or two when using 5w20 either you had significantly different commutes, significantly different weather, or you need to bring your engine in because it's about to explode. No way it creates anything but, possibly, a tenth or two difference MPG.

You say that but I have two 2014's same car and they both indicate otherwise.
Total mileage on both combined is around 60K- The results repeat. You ain't here so you're speculating and ignoring the facts.
And no that's taking all the variables in mind.
The only possible explanation is the 5w20 Castrol Magnatec causes much friction as several here have alluded too. But don't really know as I have had good luck with it in other vehicles using the 5w30 blend.
Other than that there is no explanation unless the new Total Quartz Future 9000 0w20 is the worlds greatest oil- that I doubt!

Total Quartz 9000 might just be the worlds best oil ... If it works for you, good deal. You can't argue with success
smile.gif

Car systems are getting more responsive to variables. Who knows what the Mazda computers are capable of? Maybe they can sense the difference and adjust accordingly ...

Any old run of the mill USA V6 or V8 will not know the difference, but this ain't one of those we are talking about ...

Thanks Broc
I bought it and as an oil snob I looked down on it as I do like C Mag.
I got a deal on it. But it is very slick but turns a varnish color which I don't like but does not leave any.
Just the color of the oil.
For the record I have two 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sports 2L CVT. Both AWD one ES and One SE
One is mine the other I bought for my folks. I guess a good test on the next oil change would be to get some 0w20
C Mag and see what happens. Both cars now are using MicroGreen filters but at 7500-10K oil and filter change.
I don't trust the 30K routine.

Weird. I run 5w30 in a 0w20 and see no difference. I keep track and divide miles by gallons at every fill. The Subaru computer is about 2mpgs generous every fill. Mazda must be weird.

Last edited:
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy

That's why I think you're imagining things. 0.2-2.3%. So in a car getting 40mpgs on the highway...0.08 to 0.92 mpg improvement. Given real life, barely noticeable. If you drive 12k per year, at best you'll save $1.50 per month at $2.50 per gallon...I'd recommend putting that savings in an aggressive mutual fund so you can buy a steak dinner with it when you retire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yup

That's why I think you're imagining things. 0.2-2.3%. So in a car getting 40mpgs on the highway...0.08 to 0.92 mpg improvement. Given real life, barely noticeable. If you drive 12k per year, at best you'll save $1.50 per month at $2.50 per gallon...I'd recommend putting that savings in an aggressive mutual fund so you can buy a steak dinner with it when you retire.

Ya I agree, at most you'll see 0.5mpg increase and only if doing constant short trips where 0w20's cold viscosity might be significantly thinner than 5w20. The Mobil fuel savings figure is in comparison to higher viscosity oils as well like 5w30 or 5w40, not 5w20.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What is the difference between a full syn 0w-20 and a full syn 5W-20?

Nothing when @ operating temp. 0w20 will be slightly thinner when cold but above freezing, technically it should be significantly thinner when below freezing but good a good 5w20 full synth will come close as well.

To keep it real and subjective.
I like to deal in real data. Not accept something I hear on forums unless I do the testing myself.
For us to talk about specifications and real world experience we'd both have to have two of the same
vehicles and compare notes. So far no one here has what I have and in that case we have no experts on this subject.
Could it be frictional losses from C Mag? Yes it could be- that needs to be ruled out. I have heard others suggest this
about the oil from their observations on unrelated issues- shop talk. However I just don't know- never studied it.

It repeats and on both cars. If the 0w20 C Mag dials back the mileage we have the culprit.
When the Total 0w20 went into both cars they seemed to rev like sports cars. That was the very first thing I noticed.
Both cars also have the same tires and rims and use the same TT fuel and the other car is just 300 yards away.

I am also a heavy user of all grades of C Mag. But in these cars I wont go back to it- but down the road I will experiment with the C Mag 0w20.
It would be nice if others who own these would chime in.

Weird. I run 5w30 in a 0w20 and see no difference. I keep track and divide miles by gallons at every fill. The Subaru computer is about 2mpgs generous every fill. Mazda must be weird.

But the Mazda has a Skyactive motor
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back