Sportster 1200 recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 07 sportster 1200. It was my dads, he has never been very good about maintenance on it. I've done some research and have seen that Harleys like the vr1 20w50. Which would be the better option in that, the conventional or synthetic version? Also he had an oil change down just after winter andI just found out the oil used was bel ray non synthetic. The motor seems to currently be quite noisy in the valve train. What oils would you recommend?

either is fine (syn or non-syn) although many people are very happy with non-syn. I have heard many HD owners state that Amsoil quiets their noisy HD engines. My Buell preferred VR1 (synthteic) over M1. it was quieter and consumed alot less oil. with M1, I was frequently adding oil. I'm sure that others will have a different experience.

Along with "Noisy" I would also assume there is more wear than "Not Noisy" Harleys make a lot of heat so I would do the synthetic in whatever brand. M1 20w-50 has a lot of anti wear additive. Maybe track down the numbers and compare the 2 M1 vs VR1

The EVO engine in the Sporty does not run as hot as the Twin Cams do (and VR1 does just fine in the Twin Cam), and if if I recall 2007 is the model year that the change over from carbs to EFI happened. So you wont get as much fuel dilution as a carb motor, and can run longer usually.

Sportsters aren't very picky... at least stock ones.

My 883 seemed unhappy with T-6, but pretty much anything in a XX-50 is good with it...

Yellow metal safe is a concern in the primary...

It's down to vr1 conventional or synthetic or m1 v twin as those are extremely available to me locally. What would you recommend? I haven't found vr1 syn yet but I'm pretty sure there's a store that has it

I think you are worrying too much. If you are conservative with your OCI's or don't ride a lot in a season, use the conventional.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Well it will be changed now. Ridden until weather won't allow me to. Then changed again next spring

I always try to change it before storing it for winter. I like to know the additive pack is strong when it sits from November to April. If you have a climate controlled garage, this is less important.

Really any of the 3 would be fine, I'd go with the M1 V-Twin myself because it is available at virtually any Walmart and M1 has never let me down. It also doesn't appear to be that much more expensive than VR1.

Of course, assuming it is the proper viscosity, the Bel Ray should be fine as well.

It bears mentioning that many folks use M1 15/50 with very good results as well in Harley and it is cheaper.

A few years back, there was a guy in our group that bought a new 883 Sportster to use as his only transportation. He had it serviced at the dealer with Harley's 20/50 wt oil. He rode that thing thru heat, rain, and even snow. I saw him do it. and he never had a motor problem or oil related issue. He also won the clubs high mileage award for that year. I think he did almost 50,000 miles. That's the highest mileage I've ever seen on a Sportster and he did it in 1 year. Knowing that, I believe you can use any oil that's easy to get and fits your budget, and not have any worries. Most people will never take a Sportster or any bike for that matter, to that kind of mileage in a years time. So I guess the question is, how many miles do you plan to put on it? and how long do you think you'll own it?,,,

Technically speaking I don't own it. It's my father's and he's letting me use it until I get my own so I will be keeping it until I afford my own.

Why is x-50wt oil being used in a motor with relatively tight bearing clearances? I used 10-30 in my Sportster and saw a significant drop in wear metals.

Dave

Harley only recommends 10/40, 20/50, or straight wt 50 & 60 wt oils in that motor. No where does it recommend 10/30. That's why people at least run the recommended weights. Your free to experiment with whatever wt you want.,,,

I'm simply telling you my results and opening the question. There's no need to defend Harley for their recommendation. I'm simply curios the rationale of that recommendation given the tight bearing clearances. I saw nothing in the engine clearance spec's that would dictate such heavy oils. Simply stating it's what the manufacture recommends does not advance an understanding of the reasoning. From what I recall the HD does run lower than expected oil pressure. Unsure if that factor in or not.

Dave

Originally Posted By: DrDave
Why is x-50wt oil being used in a motor with relatively tight bearing clearances? I used 10-30 in my Sportster and saw a significant drop in wear metals.

Dave

relatively tight compared to what? I doubt compared to a liquid cooled Honda twin that specs 10w30. There are plenty of Harley v twin UOA's that used 20w50 and returned excellent wear numbers.

Also, some people like to keep their warranty intact, and unless you are riding below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, you should be using a 50 weight according to the people that designed and built the motor.

Originally Posted By: DrDave
I'm simply telling you my results and opening the question. There's no need to defend Harley for their recommendation. I'm simply curios the rationale of that recommendation given the tight bearing clearances. I saw nothing in the engine clearance spec's that would dictate such heavy oils. Simply stating it's what the manufacture recommends does not advance an understanding of the reasoning. From what I recall the HD does run lower than expected oil pressure. Unsure if that factor in or not.

Dave
Could their rationale be, they've been building bikes that use those weight oils for over 50 years and it sorta,kinda works like a charm. And your recommendation has only been used by you?.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back