2005 Tundra V6 AMSOIL OE5w-30, 21,500

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the interval, I'd say the results are great.

...but you can see the major stress the oil is under - it has thickened from 10.5 to almost 12cst, and TBN is technically gone.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
This sample is from a friends Tundra with the 4.7 v6. He went 13 months and 21,500 miles on AMSOIL's OE 5w-30 with a Car Quest Blue filter,(pictures in another thread of filter cut open). He kept meaning to come in for an oil change but with his job time got away from him. I need to check his air filter. Here is the Blackstone report.

Wow. And that is the bottom-tier Amsoil! Definite proof that Amsoil SS should be good for 25k, per their claims.
01.gif

About 1650 per month,that is lots of time the engine is at operating temps.

What oil was used for his current fill?

I'd be temped to put a higher quality Amsoil in there like SS, with an Ultra filter or similar and let him have at it. I'm guessing he isn't the particular type anyways.

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
Originally Posted By: Rat407
This sample is from a friends Tundra with the 4.7 v6. He went 13 months and 21,500 miles on AMSOIL's OE 5w-30 with a Car Quest Blue filter,(pictures in another thread of filter cut open). He kept meaning to come in for an oil change but with his job time got away from him. I need to check his air filter. Here is the Blackstone report.

Wow. And that is the bottom-tier Amsoil! Definite proof that Amsoil SS should be good for 25k, per their claims.
01.gif

Im going to do the 25 000 miles oci on the Amsoil SS 5W30 oil.
So far I did about 5 long 15 000 miles runs on Amsoil, PP and Mobil EP 5W30.
My older Sonata just did 200 000 kms and it will be a good canidate for this experiment.

If you run an oil past the point at which the active detergents run out, but are still getting good wear metal figures then all is well, BUT I would suggest that you start using a major brand oil flush additive designed for use at idle just before the oil & filter are changed. Otherwise the lack of active detergents will result in long term sludge and varnish deposits.
Any oil flush additives can cause an increase in any oil leaks, due to the false oil seal effect where sludge or varnish can help a worn or split oil seal or gasket to function.

This report, for what it is, is simply great! I would simply use a long life engine oil and oil filter and keep changing at 20K miles intervals. Especially if your friend has limited time availiable and does a lot of driving. This Tundra engine is set to exceed 600.000 miles as it sits.

The silicon number is absolutely normal and I would not brake much sweat over the Aluminum number either. Change the air filter if it is due ofcourse, because you never know the failurer point. At some point a seal may crack and let unfiltered air inside.

Originally Posted by addyguy
For the interval, I'd say the results are great.

...but you can see the major stress the oil is under - it has thickened from 10.5 to almost 12cst, and TBN is technically gone.

I believe OE starts out at 11.0 so not even a full point. The way this vehicle is driven 12k may be just right Oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back