How many of you ride in the rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious how many of you ride motorcycles in the rain? I'm supposed to be taking a ride down to the tail of the dragon all weekend for my birthday, but my buddy is trying to back out because there are supposed to be scattered thunderstorms. We both have rain gear.

I'm wanting to just do it. I'm not particularly worried about getting a little wet. Do you guys avoid taking trips/rides if there is a chance of rain?

Been caught in downpours plenty of times. I wouldn't plan a long trip with heavy rain in the forecast but scattered showers are nothing to be worried about. I had my Wife laughing hard one day when we both got soaked in an unexpected downpour.

In general, I don't let rain stop me from riding, especially while commuting to/from work. But it changes as the temps get colder, I don't want to be caught in the rain at 40F, even with all my rain gear. In this summer heat, I don't mind as much.

I've only been hesitant in the rain once. Rush hour, Chattanooga TN., and a torrential downpour had me nervous. Besides that, rain doesn't bother me a bit. I have excellent rain gear, "water resistant" boots, and gloves. Heated grips help a lot as well.
Now I cannot say the same for my lovely spouse. She will ride in the rain with me if required, but if there is an option, she stays put.

Heavy down pours stink -- with proper rain gear scattered thunderstorms -- not a problem. Dont like riding & getting caught in the rain below 40 degrees like mentioned earlier. Never seem to warm back up till your home in a hot shower & dry clothes.

Done it...discovered I need better rain gear last month when I got caught in a storm on the BRP.

Then again...even with Frogg Togs, my wife got soaked. Maybe we needed scuba gear instead...

If you're expecting rain you're usually better prepared. I have a rain suit with velcro closures over the zippers, glove and boot covers, waterproof neck protection a 3/4 style helmet with a full face shield. Dressed as such you're OK on a cool day, but you'll bake in it on a hot day. If I get caught in a summer shower and I'm within 30 minutes of home, I'll just keep riding and arrive home wet. I have stopped under a bridge and put my rain gear on, only to ride 4 or 5 miles and be back to broiling in the hot sun. I normally check the weather if I'm going to ride more than 50 miles. If rain is close or percentages high ,I will find something else to do for the day.

Frogg Togs are good for walking or working in the rain, but you need a good quality motorcycle rain suit for riding. I've had mine since about 1991.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Just curious how many of you ride motorcycles in the rain? I'm supposed to be taking a ride down to the tail of the dragon all weekend for my birthday, but my buddy is trying to back out because there are supposed to be scattered thunderstorms.

Rain isn't a big deal. Lightning is. Hail can be as well. Thunderstorms produce lightning. Hail can go along with thunderstorms as well.

half the time our forecast is wrong and the rain never happens. I don't mind riding in the rain; but running the curves of the tail of the dragon would not be as much fun on wet pavement....

All the time! As said above, with proper waterproof gear it's not a problem. Makes you a better rider, dealing with the reduced grip. Go for it, have fun!

I do, but not if I can avoid it. Been caught in a few pop up thunderstorms here in the Iowa summers. One of them had pea sized hail in it, which felt really awesome on a cruiser with no windshield and an open faced helmet at 55mph.

I don't have a problem riding in the rain, when I was commuting, it was just another day. Going for a ride for fun, I'll usually pick a nice day.

When I was a teenager and more enthusiastic (or of questionable sanity), I'd ride in snow. So rain is no problem.

I don't choose to ride in the rain, but if I want or need to ride somewhere and it is raining, it won't stop me. And I actually find riding in the rain quite enjoyable - there's a certain extra level of attention, care and finesse needed that is satisfying to do.

Last edited:
Tail of the Dragon? Your first time there or have you been before?

I have lots of miles but found this road a challenge for sure. You likely wont wan't to go slow as traffic will build behind you. If this is your first time there I would watch the forecast for a dry weekend.

A popular activity for bikers during brief rainstorms is to gather for a yap session under an overpass. Police departments with motorcycle squads usually leave the riders alone.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Just curious how many of you ride motorcycles in the rain? I'm supposed to be taking a ride down to the tail of the dragon all weekend for my birthday, but my buddy is trying to back out because there are supposed to be scattered thunderstorms. We both have rain gear.

I'm wanting to just do it. I'm not particularly worried about getting a little wet. Do you guys avoid taking trips/rides if there is a chance of rain?

I cant comment on riding down there in the rain, that sounds like personal preference/ability. I will say, that at the dragon, its not worth riding when wet. I was there with a car not a bike, and the bikes were attempting to ride it anyway. They were going slower than trucks with boats in tow.

However, when I was there a couple weeks ago the rain was off and on, so there were periods things would dry up. Most of the road is under tree cover though so if the road does get wet, it takes a bit longer to dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back