Replacing the half shaft on a 92 Cavalier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I just changed the oil on my 92 Cavalier the other day and discovered that the boot on the driver's side half shaft had torn open and flung out all of the grease.

I have never replaced one on a front wheel drive car and was wondering how difficult it is and are there any special tools that are needed. This car also has an automatic transmission. I have replaced the one on my 98 K3500 4x4 which wasn't too difficult but it bolts to a flange at the front differential. The one on the car looks like it goes inside the transmission.

Any info would be appreciated.

Wayne

Remove hubcover,loosen center axle nut with tire on ground....its very tight,Remove tire/wheel,remove caliper and bracket,remove rotor,remove 2 strut bolts,angle knuckle outward while pushing splined shaft in thru hub.Once shaft end is freed,a pry bar between inner CV and tranny will pop clip out.To assemble,reverse process.Obtain torque spec for center axle nut 1st though.

ATF will spill from your open trans hole, BTW.

They are easy once you get "the feel." It usually helps to crank the steering so the tie-rod comes all the way out.

They literally just click in and out. When you reassemble you might want a 2x4 against the inner part of the axle to hammer on through the fender hole to make sure it seats. But then, just yank on it when you think you've seated it and you'll know.
wink.gif

PS I'd get a good axle from a junkyard vs a chinese new/ rebuilt one.

Thanks. I probably won't get to it for a couple of weeks as I'm out of town on business next week. I finally found my service manual for this car and it makes it sound even easier than the descriptions above but of course that is with using the specialty tools listed.

The service manual doesn't have you removing any of the brake components. Basically removing the spindle nut, separating the lower balljoint, turn the wheel a certain direction to pull the end of the shaft out of the spindle and then use a slide hammer with a "C" looking attachment that wraps around the shaft near the transmission and pop the shaft out. It requires using a few more tools but that is most of it. I have a slide hammer but not the "C" attachment of course.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back