CAPA certified DEPO headlamps, initial impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
In relation to my recent post about one of my headlamps getting busted by road debris, this post is my initial review of my CAPA certified replacement lamps. In short, I'm impressed so far.

I ordered these lamps from RA and the brand was stated as "various", but when delivered, these lamps were DEPO brand, CAPA certified. FWIW, I believe that DEPO also has a cheaper line that is not CAPA; I used them on another vehicle in the past, and they fit terribly and were very inexpensive. These lamps were $289 for the pair, and look and fit every bit as good as OEM. The only visual difference is this one small ring inside the housing - on the OEM units this piece is plastic chrome, whereas on the DEPO unit it is clear textured plastic, like the piece it connects to. This is not a bad thing IMO, since the 'chrome' pieces on the factory units were peeling badly.

The rubber gasket/surrounding piece was also pliable EPDM rubber on the DEPO units, which is something that could easily have had a cheaper rubber material. What really impressed me, however, was the quality of the bulbs included in the new units. The turn signal and running light bulbs seemed to be generically marked, like OEM. But the low and high beam bulbs impressed me... the low beam bulb is an H11B, which IIRC is only used by Kia/Hyundai. They are rare and expensive, like $20+ for a basic bulb, so cheapo aftermarket bulbs are commonly used. Not here, as the DEPO units came with the OEM spec German-made OSRAM H11B. And the high beam H1 bulb, which has more cheapo aftermarket options than you can count, is also the OEM spec German-made Philips H1. Little details for sure, but things that could have easily been cheaped-out on.

Another small but nice touch is that they included a turn signal spreader/diffuser on the outer lens. This feature did not show up until later on in this vehicle's life cycle, but definitely helps with magnifying the turn signal, especially from the side. I'm glad they included it, as my van originally did not have these (I think they added them around 2010 or so).

I don't do much night driving, but I'll try to get out sometime this week to check the beam spread and aim the lamps as well. I will report back after that.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I don't do much night driving, but I'll try to get out sometime this week to check the beam spread and aim the lamps as well. I will report back after that.

First time I've read a review about headlights that don't mention how well they light up the road at night.
lol.gif

The Depot CAPA lights are not bad at all for the money, the build and fit quality is good and the light beam is decent.
Funny thing is some brands of non CAPA have fitment issues sometimes on the same car, the left may fit poorly but the right okay but the CAPA versions fits perfectly on both sides which leads me to believe they come from a different source.
Maybe all CAPA models come from the same source, just a thought.

Quote:
More proof that CAPA is a bunch of clowns

Quote:
Yet more proof that CAPA is a bunch of clowns

33.gif
IMO the only clown in his post is him.

Last edited:
IMO Everything in that mans post is distorted to his own opinion, I agree with nothing.

He says..

Quote:
The CAPA criteria is that the aftermarket item must be certified as meeting the requirements of FMVSS 108, and that it must look the same as the original lamp. It spends a whole lot more words on "looks the same" than it does on actual performance,

CAPA claims..
Quote:
The CAPA 301 Standard includes requirements for:

FMVSS 108 Compliance, Initial and Ongoing
Verification of Size, Dimension and Effective Projected Luminous Lens Area
Electrical and Power Readings
Proper Level of Illumination, Photometry and Color

Projected Life and Durability
Gaskets, Adhesives, Sealants and Auxiliary Equipment Aiming Devices

Metallurgical/Material Testing (composition, mechanical properties)
Appearance
Production
Quality Control Procedures
New Part Approval Vehicle Test Fit (VTF)

That goes beyond just looking the same doesn't it.
I use CAPA body parts on cars that are no longer in their prime, they fit well and do have the same impact resistance as OE.
There is a big difference in CAPA and non CAPA parts but this guy is taking the OEM or nothing approach which is safe and you can be holier than thou but what about the 17 year old car that needs lights that cost $400 ea and few if any good used ones are available?

Its hard to justify spending $800 plus bulbs on a 1K vehicle dont you think?
Finding a light that works okay, fits properly and passes inspection is all most people are looking for at that point. Lets be honest unless its a collector car, summer driver in perfect cond, a winter rat, etc there is a reason someone is driving such a vehicle and it usually has to do with the lack of money.

Are they as good as OEM probably not (unless is a late 90's - early 2000's GM, they anything is probably better) but are they acceptable enough to drive with safely? In my experience with them they are.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Klutch9

First time I've read a review about headlights that don't mention how well they light up the road at night.
lol.gif

Come on, every single youtube video shows the blinding headlights rather than the illuminated road by that headlight!

I quit reading Candlepower forums, mostly because of Virgil (who used to post under a different name, I think it was German for "flashlight" or something). I don't always disagree with the content of Virgil's posts, but I usually disagree with his tone. I think is point is that no aftermarket housings will have gone through the levels of testing and validation that OE designs go through. Depo probably hasn't subjected their lamps to the same types of salt-spray testing, the same types of UV exposure testing, etc, as the OE manufacturer did. (Klutch9, do you happen to know who the OE manufacturer is? It'll stay on the front of the lamp. I'm guessing either Stanley or North American Lighting.)

And Virgil's technically right -- no aftermarket housing has done through the same types of testing, and it's VERY likely that no aftermarket housing is objectively superior to an OEM housing. It's also VERY likely that any OEM housing is objectively superior (in terms of material quality, level of performance variability from one unit to another, etc) to aftermarket housings.

But Virgil doesn't stop there. And even if he does leave it at that, he doesn't do it in an educational tone. He usually uses pretty demeaning language, and (I admit that I'm paraphrasing here) generally classifies anyone who doesn't buy OEM housings as an idiot. He doesn't allow for the fact that the difference in performance between an OEM housing and an aftermarket housing COULD be quite small, especially in relation to the often very large difference in price. He's right that the aftermarket is littered with junk and, as Trav said, recommending ONLY OEM stuff is the safe play. Just like certain popular financial advisors recommend no debt under any circumstance. If you do a little bit of due diligence, you can use debt to your advantage in the long term. Just as if you do a little bit of due diligence, you can find aftermarket equipment that is likely to perform very well.

Will it perform to the level of OEM? Perhaps not. If OEM is $500 for a pair and aftermarket is $250 for a pair, and if the performance of the aftermarket is 90% of that of the OEM, which is the better buy? I'm not going to say which is, because I think everyone needs to make that decision for themselves. And that's where I disagree with Virgil's style, and why I don't read his forum anymore. He presumes to know the correct choice for everybody, and it's his choice: OEM.

Given the pathetic quality I have witnessed in MANY OEM headlights, I am hardly lining up to dole out the cash for "OEM quality".

He can trash on aftermarket headlights all he wants, but what is a person supposed to do when the OEM severs all ties with providing OEM parts?

Good point! 10 years in most case then its NOS, some cars like the Sky/Solstice are total orphans who knows how long parts will be available, its dam near impossible to get a cup holder for one.
Late 90's - early 2000's GM OE lights were so bad you would be better served with a couple of led flashlights up front. I have a few of them and I swear I thought I was going night blind with that garbage. I could have tapped my way along with a friggin white stick out the window and been safer.

I've used depo headlamps in 2 honda products.

04 civic. consistency of lighting across the area was not even, was a little blotchy, but was a huge improvement over the fogged oem assembly.

02 mdx. used 06 model oem projectors. lighting distribution and control was fabulous, but no squirrel finders present to see street signs. was impossible to see the street signs. Experienced fogging caused by separation of clear lens from the black plastic body. Internal pressures pushed it apart, broke the glue and broke the plastic retainer clips. had to add glue, apply vacuum to pull it all together, and drill tiny vent hole. Experienced on both sides. Have been reliable (and dry) since then.

Depo wants something like $150 per side for my volvo. Oem is 600 per side for a plain halogen fixture with no magic in it. Though I've sanded and clear-coated the current lamps, the plastic is coming apart, feels like sandpaper to the touch. I'm leaning towards depot. OEM would be 1/5 of what I paid for the car.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Good point! 10 years in most case then its NOS, some cars like the Sky/Solstice are total orphans who knows how long parts will be available, its dam near impossible to get a cup holder for one.
Late 90's - early 2000's GM OE lights were so bad you would be better served with a couple of led flashlights up front. I have a few of them and I swear I thought I was going night blind with that garbage. I could have tapped my way along with a friggin white stick out the window and been safer.

Exactly. Look at almost any 90's/Early 2K GM model, and you'll find the T84 "Export" headlight option. This is where Europe looked at the American version, and just said, "This is garbage". Result? A completely different headlight that does not stink for exported American cars.

The T84 lights for the B-Body Caprice now sell for an average of $1500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back