Windows 10 won't stay asleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife bought a Win8 desktop and let it update to Win10. I recently picked up a Win7 laptop and let it update to Win10. For a few months all was fine on my laptop, but the last couple of weeks it has started doing the same thing the wife's desktop does: overnight it turns itself back on, out of sleep.

What gives? We'd shut down but Win10 is slow to boot. I thought that was the point of sleep mode?

Did you turn off / kill all the apps like the web browser when it is sleeping?
You may want to turn off the network/wifi also.

That sounds like more work than just shutting down.

Yes, browser & wifi left on. All we do is just hit sleep when we are done.

My dad is too impatient to wait for a reboot, so his laptop lives its life in different sleep/hibernate modes. And of course hes got random problems after a few weeks. The system needs a clean boot every few days at minimum. Why is it coming out of sleep then remaining running? i would check the schedule. Could be a disk defrag or some app checking for updates.

Originally Posted By: supton
Win10 is slow to boot.

How slow is it? Because it shouldn't be particularly slow.

Originally Posted By: qweased123
Win10 is slow to boot.

How slow is it? Because it shouldn't be particularly slow.

Measured in minutes on the desktop; the old laptop might be better, like say 2 minutes. Never timed it.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Maybe something in here will help you...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3guwyl/windows_10_refuses_to_stay_asleep/

Thanks! Will look into that.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Often it's your mouse that turns it back on. A slight knock is enough to do it with mine.

Hmm, we do use wireless mice but (usually) turn them off. I would think they should not wake it up.

Go with a SSD drive on the desktop and it will boot in seconds, not minutes. And yes, there's lots of annoying things that could turn it on, you have to go through a list and make sure the mouse and keyboard won't wake it up.

The network port can turn on a computer that is off, I am sure that it would in sleep mode too. Techies use this feature to boot to the network, we call it pixie boot. You can turn this feature off in the network properties and probably in the BIOS too.

I would also try using hibernation mode. It is very similar to sleep mode, except it saves the session to your hard drive, while sleep saves the session to your ram. The laptop has to be sorta on in order for ram to do it's job.

Last edited:
I don't see a hibernation mode in Win10. In Win7 I had that, but not in Win10. At least not this laptop.

I don't see a hibernation mode in Win10. In Win7 I had that, but not in Win10. At least not this laptop.

I forgot that it is now hidden in Win 10.

Go to ‘Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings’ i.e from Power Options click on ‘Choose What the power buttons do’ then click on `Change settings that are currently unavailable` then scroll down and check ‘Hibernate’.

Originally Posted By: gojoneeded

I forgot that it is now hidden in Win 10.

Go to ‘Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings’ i.e from Power Options click on ‘Choose What the power buttons do’ then click on `Change settings that are currently unavailable` then scroll down and check ‘Hibernate’.

oops, missed this post. Will try that tonight.

Starting to get unhappy with Win10. This weekend it wanted an update, so I selected "update and shut down". I started it the next morning and... it started installing the update. ??? Let it run for 5-10 min, when I looked it said it couldn't do the update so it was removing the update. Still indicates it wants to update though.

Same problem here with normal sleep, W10 wakes up after 1-3h sleep. Powercfg says unknown device, nothing more.
I have made clean install No drivers are missing Device manager checked --> nothing wakes computer there

Our desktop used to have this problem. It seems to have gone away, but continuing W10 updates seem to break other things. My satisfaction with Windows has generally declined over the past year or so. We're down to just one Windows computer now. Everything else is Chrome/Chromium OS.

Wife said the last update seemed to fix the sleep issue on her desktop.

I tried to install the last series of updates on my laptop, but it said it failed to install and it then uninstalled it. Not real happy with that. But the laptop is a boat anchor (mid grade that is at least 5 years old). I've given up, and just shut down--strangely, it has been booting faster of late, so maybe that is just that.

Go to Security and Maintenance in your Control Panel
Open the Maintenance drop-down menu
Under Automatic Maintenance, go to Change Maintenance Settings
You've probably unchecked "Allow Scheduled Maintenance..." but that doesn't matter
You must change the time for scheduled maintenance to a time you'd already have the PC awake, anyway.

I didn't see "allow scheduled maintenance".

Not sure why, but it won't update any more either. 3 times it's tried, then has removed updates, wasting a half hour each time.

I haven't read all of the replies here so please forgive me if this is redundant.

My guess is that there is a setting somewhere for the OS to wake on LAN or other network activity. Your system may be doing something as innocuous as receiving some type of ping from your router. (Perhaps the router assigns IP addresses dynamically and renews them unnecessarily frequently?) I do not have any more than a few minutes experience with Win10 so I am afraid I cannot recall how exactly you would set that; but if my guess is valid then I am sure someone else can be more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back