Your thoughts on Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to the forum and just wanted to find out what you all think about PP euro 5w-40. I'm currently using it in my 2016 VW GTI. I have been looking up info on this oil and it appears to be really good. Not the cheapest but really good. The wording on the back seems kind of vague though. Is this a proper oil for my car which requires VW 502?

It's a good oil, and meets 502. I personally use Castrol 0W-40, as it is cheaper and easier to obtain locally.

If the two were on the shelf next to each other and the same price, I would use the Pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Good oil, nothing to worry about and definiately better then Castrol 5W40 POS that dealership uses.

What's wrong with the Castrol OE Professional 5W-40? the one my dealership uses meets LL01, A40, 502/505, and I think even the Mercedes spec as well. It also has fluorescent dye added.

Last edited:
Glad to hear I didn't make a mistake picking the Pennzoil! I had heard the Castrol 5w-40 wasn't as good as many of the other options so I looked online for 5w40 and found this on advance autos website. Went in the store and it wasn't on the shelf. Ended up having to ask, and the guy looked at me like I was asking for a unicorn. He came out of the back with 6 quarts though!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
It's a good oil, and meets 502. I personally use Castrol 0W-40, as it is cheaper and easier to obtain locally.

If the two were on the shelf next to each other and the same price, I would use the Pennzoil.

Good oil, nothing to worry about and definiately better then Castrol 5W40 POS that dealership uses.

What's wrong with the Castrol OE Professional 5W-40? the one my dealership uses meets LL01, A40, 502/505, and I think even the Mercedes spec as well. It also has fluorescent dye added.

Does not meet MB 229.5. It has higher NOACK then M1 0W40, Catsrol 0W40, Pennzoil 5W40 etc.
As for dye: why is that relevant?

Originally Posted By: dah90
Glad to hear I didn't make a mistake picking the Pennzoil! I had heard the Castrol 5w-40 wasn't as good as many of the other options so I looked online for 5w40 and found this on advance autos website. Went in the store and it wasn't on the shelf. Ended up having to ask, and the guy looked at me like I was asking for a unicorn. He came out of the back with 6 quarts though!

I am not sure how compares to Castrol 0W40 and can you say is it better or worse.
My choice is Castrol 0W40, and 5qt in Wal mart s $25. Problem with Pennzoil is accessibility and price compare to Castrol and M1 0W40.

Does not meet MB 229.5. It has higher NOACK then M1 0W40, Catsrol 0W40, Pennzoil 5W40 etc.
As for dye: why is that relevant?

Because many many many German cars have the potential to become leaky mofos at random, and the dye helps to track down whether it is a valve cover, VANOS line, oil filter housing gasket, or God knows what else.

In any case, I use Castrol 0W-40. Just wanted to hear your thoughts.

To edyvw
I can't say it's better than Castrol 0w40 or Mobil one 0w-40, but one reason I chose to use it is because my owners manual specifically stated to use a 5w-30 or 5w-40 that meets VW 502. Also if I am not mistaken it also said 5w-40 was preferred. Therefore I have never even looked at a 0w-40 with intent to use it in my car.

Last edited:
I understand oil choice is a very personal decision. My only intent with my question was to make sure that I had put a quality oil in my car that met VW 502 and to see what other people thought about it. I found that I can get the Pennzoil for $36 for 6 quarts through Amazon with free shipping. Still not as cheap as the Castrol 0w-40 mentioned, but I am trying to stay with the viscosity that my owners manual said to use.

Originally Posted By: dah90
To edyvw
I can't say it's better than Castrol 0w40 or Mobil one 0w-40, but one reason I chose to use it is because my owners manual specifically stated to use a 5w-30 or 5w-40 that meets VW 502. Also if I am not mistaken it also said 5w-40 was preferred. Therefore I have never even looked at a 0w-40 with intent to use it in my car.

You choose great oil.
As for what manual says, you need first and foremost VW 502.00 oil.
First number is relevant in winter applications, so 0W40 will do better in cold climate (extreme cold climate as 5W40 is good up to -45). W40 or W30 is what you need only if meets VW 502.00. So whether that is 0W40 or 5w40, is irrelevant.
Again, great choice, especially for DI engine considering low NOACK of GTL based Pennzoil.

Last edited:

I know that, but as for quality of oil, it is irrelevant.
As for leaks, I drive Euro cars all my life and only Opel Ascona that I owned in Europe leaked oil.

I know that, but as for quality of oil, it is irrelevant.
As for leaks, I drive Euro cars all my life and only Opel Ascona that I owned in Europe leaked oil.

Well, my Audi A6 twin turbo, which I loved to drive but hated how often it was in the shop, had turbo oil line leaks 3 or 4 times...not to mention the catastrophic failure of the secondary cooling pump.

PP Euro 5w-40 = unicorn....at least up here locally
frown.gif

Every BMW I have owned has leaked oil. Primary sources are valve cover, oil filter housing, timing covers, and oil pan. BMW uses cheap gasket material that turns to hard brittle plastic with age.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
frown.gif

Yes, it's very hard to find. You can, however, find it at NAPA Canada in an EcoBox right now, and it's on special. Its pricing won't make you ask for a pallet or anything, but it is reasonably palatable.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
frown.gif

Quote:
Yes, it's very hard to find. You can, however, find it at NAPA Canada in an EcoBox right now, and it's on special. Its pricing won't make you ask for a pallet or anything, but it is reasonably palatable.

Really!?! Its readily available at all of the CT/NAPA stores in my area
smirk.gif

Last edited:
I haven't checked the CT stores here for a couple weeks. When I was there, it wasn't there. I'm not terribly interested in Canadian Tire's pricing on the product. When it goes south of $30 a jug, we'll talk.
wink.gif

I used Ultra Euro 5w-40 (Old label. AZ clearance oil.) for the first time in my 12' Golf 2.5L. Fantastic oil! The other oils I previously used (Dealer MST Valvoline, Castrol 5w-40/0w-40) I changed out @ 6 months intervals. This Pennzoil is the best, IMO. I will go 1 yr. before using this same oil again. (The other oils I changed out @ 6 month intervals.) I have enough of this oil for 3 more oil changes. Hopefully AZ will have this oil in their yearly clearance.

sparky123,

Originally Posted By: sparky123
I used Ultra Euro 5w-40 (Old label. AZ clearance oil.) for the first time in my 12' Golf 2.5L. Fantastic oil! The other oils I previously used (Dealer MST Valvoline, Castrol 5w-40/0w-40) I changed out @ 6 months intervals. This Pennzoil is the best, IMO. I will go 1 yr.

Can you please tell us what is different you felt with Ultra compared to other oils? Some UOAs, engine noise, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back