Gave the old girl a bath today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Very cool !! But I though Simple Green wasn't recommended for aluminum?

I thought it was 409, or one of the other over the counter cleaners, that was forbidden for aluminum.

Full strength non-aircraft specific Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum, specifically in lap joints where it can be easily rinsed away.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
In before fdrqs(?) comments.
smile.gif

Whomever that might be:)

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: kohnen
I'm amazed that complicated rotors like this can perform safely while spinning so quickly that centrifugal forces are desperately trying to blow them apart!

Coolness!

That is freaking awesome.

What I ponder upon is how the advancing rotors air speed is greater than its retreating air speed.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
What I ponder upon is how the advancing rotors air speed is greater than its retreating air speed.
cool.gif

With forward movement of the helicopter, the blade advancing naturally has a greater relative airspeed. Against the wind, rather than with it, as on the retreating side of the rotor.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Is that a Russian Mi-8 or a derivative?
Why the rotor head replacement? Timed out?
Thanks for sharing

Kazan-made Russian Mi-8 sold for export, with the name Mi-17. The rotor head had 3 leaking feathering hinges seals and one leaking drag hinge seal, and we are unable to replace seals in the field with our current equipment.

You got that right. The cyclic stresses on a rotor are enormous. Very stringent controls on manufacture and repair. I recall when I was working on my A&P that there was a little old lady working at a repair facility who used a razor blade to trim something at the blade root. Blade left a stress risers in the blade and the hub failed and was traced to her unauthorized tidying up. Wish I could remember the details but way too many brain cells have fallen prey to entropy. Seems like the helos were used in a ferry service in California. Perhaps another member remembers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back