Control arm popping out of bushing sleeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
Couple months ago I had new lower control arm bushings pressed in by a machine shop for my 01 Toyota Tundra. Now the control arms are sliding on the bushing sleeve shells making a loud popping sound whenever I hit the brakes going forwards or backwards (easier to replicate the issue). Not sure if the machine shop used a sleeve retaining compound. Any easy way to remedy this while on vehicle or bring it back to the machine shop? Can bushings be reused if they are pressed out and reinstalled?

More than likely, at this point, the control arms won't be able to retain a bushing, new or old. Time to look for some new ones.

Did you final torque them with the wheels loaded with the weight of the vehicle? If I read you post correctly the rubber has broken loose from the metal which means the bushing is scrap.
This can happen from tightening the bushing while the vehicle is still in the air (most likely) or it was pressed in by the inner tube or the rubber and damaged. Either way they need to be changed.
If the steel shell is moving the control arm is most likely scrap unless slightly oversize bushings are available.

Last edited:
30 years ago I had a loose bushing in a control arm which caused a clunking noise over bumps. The control arm hole was enlarged and worn. I cut a feeler gauge, wedged the gap with the feeler gauge and drove the car around for a few years like that. What can I say as I was broke without a job and in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back