spot on, harbor freight

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's about the quality one would expect from Harbor Freight. It's always surprising that people will actually accept that level of quality. Of course, it's also surprising that anyone would be shopping there in the first place.

Agreed!

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
That's about the quality one would expect from Harbor Freight. It's always surprising that people will actually accept that level of quality. Of course, it's also surprising that anyone would be shopping there in the first place.

35.gif

When I came home from Vietnam at the end of 1968 I went to Sears and bought a large toolbox and a full set of craftsman tools. I had been into cars and doing my own work as long as I could remember. Still using those tools today. I would have a few break over the years, but just carried them down to Sears for a free replacement.

I haven't had a problem with HF tools I bought - and I have many. You get what you pay for, but obviously that piece needs to be exchanged. If you're a backyard mechanic, HF are usually fine. Real mechanics that depend on their tools spend more money.

I just bought and returned a DA polisher from there. The switch stuck on the first time I used it. I'm not a pro but gladly paid more for my Hobart mig. ...

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I haven't had a problem with HF tools I bought - and I have many. You get what you pay for, but obviously that piece needs to be exchanged. If you're a backyard mechanic, HF are usually fine. Real mechanics that depend on their tools spend more money.

I have some tools from them, they're not all terrible. But like you said, you get what you pay for. I look everything I buy from them over really good before I pay for it.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I haven't had a problem with HF tools I bought - and I have many. You get what you pay for, but obviously that piece needs to be exchanged. If you're a backyard mechanic, HF are usually fine. Real mechanics that depend on their tools spend more money. need better quality

There. Fixed it for ya'...

I'm very happy with all my HF purchases. All their sockets and wrenches have served me well. But not the same quality of some older Craftsmen stuff I have except the ratchets. HF ratchets are way better than the basic Craftsmen ratchets.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Wow, those are a wee bit off...

Was that the $4.99 socket set?

No, the $60 3/4 drive 7/8-2" ! This is a 1".

The whole thing is clunky but a good entry level into the larger sizes.

Most things at HF i don't care for at all. There is a place for some things they sell. For example, i lift a few engines , not many so i needed an engine lift. There were no name brand ones on craigslist, a commercial one is just too expensive , so the HF shop crane (i think i paid $159 years ago) has done what i needed. Another example. I was installing flooring in my down stairs and i needed to trip the moulding on several doorways. The HF multitool was $19 bucks , i only needed it for this one job, so spending over $100 for a name brand one plus the blades was not worth it.

So for some one-off jobs there is a place for SOME of their tools. the sockets and what not i don't care for at all. But if its something you can't get local like and engine lift or some odd one use tool , i shop for that.

Last edited:
Some of their things are really good and their prices are usually good also..They are putting a dent in a lot of tool places like the home depot.

It's a fun place to walk around, and the latex gloves on sale with a 20% coupon are ok, as are the free multimeters. But stuff like this is absolutely ridiculous. How there can be NO QA whatsoever is beyond me.

It's pretty much 'hit and miss' at HF. I bought their chrome plated $20 combination wrench set a few years ago and have been pleased. Have also had good luck with 2 of their small engines. Not so much with their air fittings and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back