How much of a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave123
PP is just fine at Half the cost.

Really? I just looked online at Walmart at PP 0w20 5qt and Amsoil OE 0w20 in the 1 gallon, per qt the cost spread was about 20 cents a qt. For the Amsoil XL 0w20, the spread got bigger, but was about $1.36 a qt. Far cry from PP being half the cost.

I'd use PP for under $23 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart then there's a $2/qt. rebate. Order $50 online and get it shipped to your house free. Not a bad deal.

Originally Posted By: 11crv
Taking price out, which you would you choose for the above conditions and 5000mi oci?

PP

Taking price out, which you would you choose for the above conditions and 5000mi oci?

I'd use neither. I'd go with M1 AFE. Since you live in a place where you see real cold, why not select an oil with better performance in real cold conditions?
While you've told us nothing of what you drive under what sort of conditions, none of these three oils would be challenged at all with a 5K OCI.
Deals?
There's is a $12.00 MIR on M1 through the end of October and Mobil typically offers this MIR 2X each year.
Unlike those from SOPUS, XOM MIRs have been totally reliable for me.

Any oil you can buy at any parts store or Walmart will handle a 5k OCI. Taking price out, just reduces the discussion to personal preference and ad hype. The oil today is better than ever and is constantly improving. The recommended grade oil,or not, changed at 5K intervals. Just close your eyes and grab. There are waaay better time investments out there.
Why complicate something made simple. KISS!! Before BITOG. I used cheap oil, changed at 3K OCIs. Now, I still use cheap oil with the OCI extended to 5-7K.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I'd use neither. I'd go with M1 AFE. Since you live in a place where you see real cold, why not select an oil with better performance in real cold conditions?
While you've told us nothing of what you drive under what sort of conditions, none of these three oils would be challenged at all with a 5K OCI.
Deals?
There's is a $12.00 MIR on M1 through the end of October and Mobil typically offers this MIR 2X each year.
Unlike those from SOPUS, XOM MIRs have been totally reliable for me.

+1 can't be beat for cold weather performance

It would be good to put more in the subject than was done for this post.

I have never seen a reason to buy any Amsoil product other than their top shelf products.

Other companies make emgime oil as good as Amsoil's best much less their XL oil.

Today I buy only Amsoil ATF and diff.gear oil.

I have been using Amsoil in our '13 2.5 outback since day one haven't had an issue its hard to get over to the Amsoil dealer sometimes. I'm a preferred member so a get a little break on price. I recently started using PP 5w-30 in our 02 century and thought it might be easier to make one trip to pick up oil. I was curious how well PP 0w20 would hold up in hot summer weather making long highway runs. Winter in Wisconsin can be pretty cold. My wife uses the outback more I the winter. Oh yeah before switch the century, I was using Amsoil SS. No issues there either. No oil consumption from either vehicle.

Last edited:
I like PP/PU a lot. I considered 0w20 PP or PU as well as Redline Oil 0w20 for my 15 Civic. Called Dave at Redline and told him I used FF and one freebie 0w20 synblend from Honda and he suggested I use PP or PU to clean things up one oci before going redline. My thinking is he thought it did well and that was enough for me. Gonna run Motul 8100 0w20 if I can find it reasonably priced over Magnatec or Edge. PP or PU will always hold a place in my heart...good oil I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back