Amsoil AME 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be putting in soon 2006 Duramax, How far out are you guys going with UOA.s ? Trying to get on same schedule with 15K with oil and fuel filters,oil....Thanks

Moderators can you please move to HDEO section,sorry for the inconvenience

Last edited:
Tell us more about your vehicle and driving habits.
Originally Posted By: alanwayne1908
Moderators can you please move to HDEO section,sorry for the inconvenience
Use the "notify" button for this.

Rotella is good oil , I have run Delo Dino and synthetic, Just wanted to try AME,do a UOA, go from there,Honestly if I can get 15K out of T6 or Delo synthetic probably go that route down the road, trying to get on a 15K service plan with oil, my Airdog Fuel and factory filters. thanks

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why not Rotella T6. It's $15 gallon at Love Truck stop on sale for Aug.
5W in Fla?

OK I'll bite, Can it not be used in Fla? I know 15W40 is the norm.Once warmed aren't they all 40 weights? I have used 5W40 Delo Synthetic and loved the instant oil pressure as compared to the 15W40 as there is a time lag...I called Delo engineer and asked about 5W40 only in cold and he answered absolutely not it can be used in extreme heat as well. I have current plans to try Amsoil AME 15W40 in my 2006 Duramax with UOA's to provide information as needed, I will admit I am a newbie and willing to soak up all info seasoned oil vets can provide. I have spent countless nights going thru UOA's on Duramax's and will admit I am learning but I love my Duramax as it is Pre-Emission. BTW DNewton has it going on..so school me...I'm willing to learn if wrong. BTW I love Banter as I am a High Voltage Journeyman Lineman ,In the trade over 35 years ago I have learned to let it roll off a ducks back.So teach me.I have also thought about Delo Dino at intervals every 7500 being cost effective but having good protection.

Basically there two things to start. First, you'll have to order the Amsoil and filters, which can be kind of a hassle. Second, you need to decide cost to operational ratio to see if it is really worth it. The question I asked myself 8 years ago when I was a former AME junkie, is this: Does it really protect my engine better than other said oil? the short answer is "no". I had the whole gamut...bypass dual filtration, oil, and filters. I was doing 20k mile OCIs and that was all well and fine, but for me it got to the point where cost and convenience started outweighing the idea that Amsoil was providing better protection. It just wasn't worth it to me. So, I changed over to Delo or Delvac conventional 15w-40, after Dave (dnewton) educated me and became the voice of reason. I put 75k more miles on my Dmax before getting rid of it running conventional changes at 7500 OCIs and the UOAs were always stellar. I have been conventional since and never went back. As it has been stated, Dmaxes are really easy on oil and running conventional diesel rated oil will do more than fine.

Signed,

A former Amsoil/synthetic junkie
grin.gif

OK I'll bite, Can it not be used in Fla? I know 15W40 is the norm.Once warmed aren't they all 40 weights? I have used 5W40 Delo Synthetic and loved the instant oil pressure as compared to the 15W40 as there is a time lag...I called Delo engineer and asked about 5W40 only in cold and he answered absolutely not it can be used in extreme heat as well. I have current plans to try Amsoil AME 15W40 in my 2006 Duramax with UOA's to provide information as needed, I will admit I am a newbie and willing to soak up all info seasoned oil vets can provide. I have spent countless nights going thru UOA's on Duramax's and will admit I am learning but I love my Duramax as it is Pre-Emission. BTW DNewton has it going on..so school me...I'm willing to learn if wrong. BTW I love Banter as I am a High Voltage Journeyman Lineman ,In the trade over 35 years ago I have learned to let it roll off a ducks back.So teach me.I have also thought about Delo Dino at intervals every 7500 being cost effective but having good protection.

Not necessarily...Believe a 5w stays a 5w and will have modifiers to act like a 40 at operating temps..
a 15W stays a 15w and acts like a 40 when warm..

http://bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-103/

Last edited:
Thanks guys , I have already bought Amsoil , I understand the rerun for money doesn't add up . I will more than likely go back to Delo with Mobil1 EP filter . How do guys feel about Amsoil EAO filters? I apreciate all the help, I have read UOAs with Delvac & Delo it's pretty impressive, Again Thanks

Thanks guys , I have already bought Amsoil , I understand the rerun for money doesn't add up . I will more than likely go back to Delo with Mobil1 EP filter . How do guys feel about Amsoil EAO filters? I apreciate all the help, I have read UOAs with Delvac & Delo it's pretty impressive, Again Thanks

I'm running an EAO080 on my cummins with a bypass filter and so far so good. I haven't changed it out yet, but it will run 2 1/2 times longer than the oem filter it replaces. Time will tell the truth on this one. I also bought an Amsoil EA15K88 for my powerstroke, which will run 1 1/2 as long as the oem filter. I'll be installing this one in around a year from now. The Ea/EO filters are very well made synthetic and am sure will last as avertised.:) Just my 2 cents worth.:)

In terms of oil, just work out your most convenient and cost effective solution.

If you really want to do the best by your engine you need to consider a by-pass filtration set up.
Then you will really get the best value out of your oil regardless of what it is and maximise the benefits for the engine.

IMO Amsoil used to be top tier, great stuff but with todays oil technology its no longer top of the pyramid. It's overpriced, sometimes difficult to source and highly overrated.

Go with Delvac or Delo Supreme both syns and don't look back. THey will easily do 7500+ mile OCI's and your wallet will thank you!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
IMO Amsoil used to be top tier, great stuff but with todays oil technology its no longer top of the pyramid. It's overpriced, sometimes difficult to source and highly overrated.

Go with Delvac or Delo Supreme both syns and don't look back. THey will easily do 7500+ mile OCI's and your wallet will thank you!

Exactly this.

Originally Posted By: bbslider001
Basically there two things to start. First, you'll have to order the Amsoil and filters, which can be kind of a hassle. Second, you need to decide cost to operational ratio to see if it is really worth it. The question I asked myself 8 years ago when I was a former AME junkie, is this: Does it really protect my engine better than other said oil? the short answer is "no". I had the whole gamut...bypass dual filtration, oil, and filters. I was doing 20k mile OCIs and that was all well and fine, but for me it got to the point where cost and convenience started outweighing the idea that Amsoil was providing better protection. It just wasn't worth it to me. So, I changed over to Delo or Delvac conventional 15w-40, after Dave (dnewton) educated me and became the voice of reason. I put 75k more miles on my Dmax before getting rid of it running conventional changes at 7500 OCIs and the UOAs were always stellar. I have been conventional since and never went back. As it has been stated, Dmaxes are really easy on oil and running conventional diesel rated oil will do more than fine.

Signed,

A former Amsoil/synthetic junkie
grin.gif

We all have fallen for the marketing hook line and sinker. syn has some advantages especially for below freezing starts but todays oils are really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back