OEM 2015 Civic oil filter vs aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

On my 2015 Civic EX with 12,130 miles, I am due for an oil/filter change. Is it REALLY beneficial that I use the OEM oil filter, or will a top quality
aftermarket oil filter, like WIX, Mobil One, etc, provide just as much protection??

Thanks
Michael in NJ

Last edited:
The OEM filter available at the dealer is a cardboard Fram, very similar to the TG.

The Wix is much better. Pick up a Napa Gold along with the house brand synthetic oil on sale for $2.99/qt
smile.gif

I use Frams on my daughters 2009 Civic. Never a problem. I bought 20 of them on Rock Auto closeout for $20. I run PPHM or QSUD 5w20 and 5000 OCI. Runs great. I use an oil extractor to extract all of the oil out of the dipstick hole which works great and gets out more than the drain plug. Then just change the filter, refill and done. I can change the oil on that car in 10 minutes.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Whatever's cheapest will work absolutely fine.

This engine is probably still under warranty, so the OP should use OEM filters from a dealer.

In general terms you get what you pay for from filters and it's not unusual for cheap oil filters to fail.

Once an engine is out of warranty, either stick to using OEM filters, or use Mann or Bosch IF they are marked made in Germany. In the US I would also think about using Mobil filters, but would not bother with any of the cheaper companies.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The OEM filter available at the dealer is a cardboard Fram, very similar to the TG.

The Wix is much better. Pick up a Napa Gold along with the house brand synthetic oil on sale for $2.99/qt
smile.gif

I would be careful about jumping to conclusions about filters, unless it comes in a Fram box with the exact same part number as an off the shelf Fram.
Many car companies have exclusive parts contracts that rule out a parts company selling the exact same spec part on the open market, also some of them insist on a higher standard of media or even a different media design. For example an OEM fuel filter for my TDI has a zig zag pattern, when even a Mann one does not.

If you want to save money on oil filters, check to see if you can do 2 for 1 oil to filter changes. Many owners change oil every 5K miles in the US, BUT are using oil filters that have a max change interval of 10K plus. The amount of contamination you get from the reuse of an oil filter is not significant and some older non synthetic media filters are slightly more efficient when dirty than new.
I would still consider the 2 year limit for major brand oil filters, as there is a very slight chance that the oil filter seal will degrade, although I've never seen one fail yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Padawan
As horse123 stated, an expensive filter isn't necessary. The Fram PH9715 I use on our 2015 Fit costs $3.77 and does extremely well. Incidentally, Fram manufacturers the OEM filters for Honda.

Here's one of my recent ones:

Fram PH7317 - 9,100 miles - '15 Honda Fit

Fram/Honeywell makes the A02 version of the OE filter, yes. There is some debate that the A01 versions are superior which are made by Filtech and are the factory installed filters.

The Bosch filter for this application is also made by Filtech.

Look around for A01 versions, they can be had for $6-7 each. A good price, not Mobil 1 $ but not $3 Fram either.

I would advise against any form of Purolator/MANN+HUMMEL manufactured filter unless wire backed.

Both types of Honda Dealer filters are fine, the newer USA/Fram manufactured ones actually look even better than the old Canadian Honeywell.

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Fram/Honeywell makes the A02 version of the OE filter, yes. There is some debate that the A01 versions are superior which are made by Filtech and are the factory installed filters.

Look around for A01 versions, they can be had for $6-7 each. A good price, not Mobil 1 $ but not $3 Fram either.

I've never been able to find an A01 oil filter for my '07 V6 Accord. But I did find a number of HAMP [Honda After Market Parts] oil filters also made by Filtech. Used them for several years. Recently have been using Wix filters.

My manual says to change the filter every other oil change and that's exactly what I do. Using the oil monitor, I average 8000 Km (5,000 miles) between oil changes. So I'm running those tiny oil filters for 16,000 Km (10,000 miles).

Honda knows how to make engines (I believe they consider themselves first and foremost an engine company) and I trust their engineers' recommendations.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Originally Posted By: Balrog006

I've never been able to find an A01 oil filter for my '07 V6 Accord. But I did find a number of HAMP [Honda After Market Parts] oil filters also made by Filtech. Used them for several years. Recently have been using Wix filters.

Got mine on Amazon in a 5 pack, about $35 delivered. There are A02's there as well but a few sellers (Honda dealers and parts suppliers) have and guarantee the A01's.

For our 2012 Civic - From day one, I have used an assortment of filters that were on sale. Lots of $1.40 closeout filters from RA and whatever parts stores were having sales. Engine is spotless at 103K. OCI were anywhere from 7-12K.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

I would be careful about jumping to conclusions about filters, unless it comes in a Fram box with the exact same part number as an off the shelf Fram....

In this case of Honda A02 oem, it is made by Fram with as noted similar construction to the TG with silicone adbv. Major difference 'if' it matters to some, is the TG has a significantly higher rated efficiency, as opposed to the ISO tested A02. So the media is different.

I've run many different filter in my Hondas, including but not limited to P1, Bosch Distance Plus, and Napa Gold/Wix, all have worked well. Currently Napa Gold/(Wix) is go to because I can obtain them for
To the topic, yes Wix/Napa Gold will work fine as will the M1. Unless you just prefer oem, the aftermarkets mentioned will work as well as the oem. I'd just try to stick with one with a silicone adbv from a reputable manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back