Mystik JT8 15W50 Semi Syn HDEO - 2014 Road King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im very happy with this oil, will now have been using it for its 5th oil change.
There are very FEW 50 weight HEDO oils on the USA market besides Harley Davidsons own oil.

Mystik JT8 is one of them. Amsoil makes another and either Redline or Royal Purple as another.
HEDO is listed as the preference for the new Rushmore bikes if not using Harleys own oil, with 50 weight as top choice but you also can use a 40 weight.
I have no intention of switching, in fact just ordered 4 more gallons for the next two years. I love the way the reports come back, I LOVE the way the engine runs and sounds or should I say LACK of sounds from the engine!?!

This oil saw a mix of (approx) 60% interstate up to 80 MPH, 30% local up to 60 MPH, 10% heavy traffic. Anywhere from flat SC riding to the Smoky Mountains of NC and TN.

Late spring and summertime temps 90 to 103.
Average oil temp falls within what Harley calls normal 230 degrees.
Normal for me was 220 to 245. highest I measured was 264 degrees.

80-mystik_8_12_16_489f7bd79575c81e38e705a213ea3ec43f7af368.jpg

Last edited:
Good report, so extending the OCI to 5K miles should be perfectly OK. Such a longer OCI is often an issue for a bike engine due to fuel contamination and high temp shearing, but there are no signs of either.

Last edited:
Available anyplace where there is an address. Delivered to your door $34.00 give or take a dollar for 2 gallon container. Just google mystik jt8 15w50.
I get mine from rural king...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
Alarmguy , Is this ok for wet clutch bikes ? And is this synthetic or not?

I have used this oil in multiple wet clutch bikes with no issues.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
Alarmguy , Is this ok for wet clutch bikes ? And is this synthetic or not?

I think Jetstar answered that for me, personally if I had a wet clutch I would not hesitate to use this or any HEDO oil but that is up to you.

Its a semi syn oil = Here is the link to the company site

Someone else posted a link above but its outdated info from 2006, this link is current. On the back of the container I have at home Mystik claims this oil meets the HEDO standards of CH4 to CJ4.

Some time ago Oreilly used to stock this oil in their stores in my area, its where I bought my first 2 gallon jug, they indicated on their website they can get you any size from 1 to 5 gallons but no longer stock it, I wouldnt bother, if interested just google it and buy it on line.

This is where I get mine ... as noted you can also buy directly from Mystik at the above link. The photo on Rural Kings site is outdated, its actually the Sliver Bottle you see at Mystiks site (the look has been updated :eek:))
Rural King Mystik 15w50 here

Last edited:
I go to a local Rural King store near here on occasion. I`m going to see if they have it in stock on the shelves.

Lucky you, we have no Rural Kings here but its been a great experience getting it online from them. If you can buy it in the store, heck, $25 for 2 gallons with no shipping.

I should point out to the HD crowd, Mystik is a Citgo Brand, Citgo also makes Harley Davidsons oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LC
If you have a Farm and Fleet or Fleet Farm they also handle Mystik Oils.

I know there is one local although I never get in there. May have to check them out too.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Your Road King has a 5k OCI from Harley. Would it be possible to get a 5k UOA of the oil?

No question in my mind that someone could get 5000 mile OCI as stated by Harley. After all, the oil fits their requirements.

For me personally? For my whole life, I never ran my cars, boats, bikes for the MAX OCI. To me, oil is dirt cheap and I always change before rather then after.
I use the basic oils recommended by the manufacturer thinking they know way more then me and see no reason for exotic oil company claims selling expensive oil to extend OCIs. (dont misinterpret that statement as I dont see value in some expensive quality oils, I just dont use them but think there are some standouts, I do not beleive in extending OCIs though)

My whole life of owning vehicles (decades so far, thank god :eek:) ..I never had any oil related issue.

Now let me add to the above statement, I dont waste oil either, most all manufacturers all have a "severe" use OCI recommendation or wording like change more often under the following conditions.

So even though Harley as you say states 5,000 mile OCIs, Harley like many manufacturers also adds a statement right from page 261 note #4 from the 2014 Touring Owners manual regarding oil.

"Perform Maintenance more frequently in severe riding conditions such as extreme temperatures, dusty environments, mountainous or rough roads, long storage conditions, short runs, heavy stop/go traffic or poor fuel quality."

Its why I will always change before 5000 OCI. Plus with my riding it works perfect, 3 times a year. Late Spring, Late Summer, Early winter.

Ps. To add to the above Rossn2, after reading my post but unable to edit. I do realize you did not say extend the OCI just if I could follow the OCI at 5k. Altough I normally change all my vehicles sooner if I ever rode so much that sooner was inconvenient I wouldn't hesitate to run this oil for the 5k once in a while to the manufacturers recommended 5k and that would be for any oil I used, full syn, part syn or conv.

blended by Citgo same company did-does harley oil, less $$$$ without the bar + shield as usual!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
blended by Citgo same company did-does harley oil, less $$$$ without the bar + shield as usual!!!

SO true! In all fairness though, that goes for any motorcycle or automotive company that sells OEM oil under the company name.
The Mystik oil and Harley oil are formulated differently with different compounds (Boron and Magnesium)
Both oils are formulated like HEDOs, different approaches. HD oil favors Boron and Mystik favors Magnesium.

Last edited:
Wow....2 gallons for $23.99 of quality oil at Farm and Fleet, which is a nice weekend ride away for me
smile.gif
. I have so much stock of VR1 for the TC that I can't use this, but in the future I can see myself trying this out on the old Evo. Thanks for posting the UOA.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I have also posted a VOA on the Mystik too.

Just for the record, that VR1 turns in good numbers on the Harleys and the older Harleys didnt call for an HEDO if not using HD oil.

I THINK starting at the Rushmore Bikes they started with the use Harley oil only BUT can use an HEDO if HD can not be found, then the usual [censored] about switching back to HD oil ASAP, but lets face it, they mention the HEDOs of CH4+ or higher so you know you are good.

(BTW Indian does the same thing recommending only their oil)

Funny you mention you have too much VR1. I have too much Mystik. They goofed, I ordered 4 gallons (2-2 gallon containers) but they shipped it from two warehouses and I ended up with 8 gallons.
I doubt I will use all of it, it will be too old by then but not even worth it to ship if I sold it on ebay,. I think...just got it and may find a use for it.
I was leary of the Mystik at first but I knew it was a Citgo product and knew its used in agriculture too. But yes, was happy with the UOA and the VOA, and nothing much to add, its a HEDO.

Last edited:
Just for the record, that VR1 turns in good numbers on the Harleys and the older Harleys didnt call for an HEDO if not using HD oil.

^ I just checked my manual for my 95 Electraglide Ultra Evolution and my 09 Superglide FXDC TC and both recommend HDEO oil { cf4,cg4,ch4,AND ci4} if Harley oil isn't available and to change back to Harley oil when possible. Having said this, I have used the Valvoline Vr1 conventional for years with great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back