2001 GMC Starting Problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.
For about the last week I've noticed my 2001 GMC Sierra doesn't start on the first crank for some reason. You let off and crank again and it starts right up. What could cause thi 5.3 with 216,000 miles. It's always started on first crank. Bought the truck new.

Last edited:
Battery is new and fuel pump has never been changed. Gas Guage has been messed up since 99,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Leaking fuel regulator ?

X2......Pull the Vacuum Line off the Regulator. If Fuel is present....Replace the Regulator.

Ok thanks for the replies. I can check all this stuff. Can a starter cause this? It does sound like it's kinda dragging. My uncle brought it to my attention. I started the truck after I changed the oil about a hour ago. He said it sounded bad like dragging. I have noticed it sounds different starting since I got my new transmission installed. But it's only been doing this for about a week or so not starting on first crank.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
Battery is new and fuel pump has never been changed. Gas Guage has been messed up since 99,000 miles.

A GM truck with over 200k mi on its original fuel pump - very unusual.

Yup never been changed. I keep it full of gas usually. Never let it run below 1/4 tank. Thats what destroys the fuel pump.

Ok guys. I checked the regulator. Pulled off the vacuum line and no fuel. I dont have a fuel pressure gauge but I did unscrew the cap and it does not have any pressure with the truck off. If the trucks running it seems to have all kinds if you push the center pin in. But no way to tell how much pressure.

So should there be pressure at the checking point even with the truck off? I can turn off the truck walk around and push in the center pin and no gas comes out. But if truck is running gas will spray out if pin is pushed.

I don't have an answer to your question. My truck fuel pressure decays very slowly once the engine is turned off. It drops from 63 psi at about 2 psi a minute. But mine is a different system, returnless, with the regulator in the tank.

Proper tooling can answer so many questions re your truck . A fuel pressure gauge will show how the fuel pump is performing. A scope will measure the cranking speed of the engine and measure its current draw and will let you know if the starter is healthy. A multimeter will tell you if the battery is strong enough.

I don't know what a IAC valve is. I called my mechanic and he said it should have pressure if I get out and push the pin after turning it off. Taking it in Monday to hook it up to check the pressure.

Fuel pressure gauges are really inexpensive. Here is one that will fit the Schrader valve on your fuel rail
https://www.amazon.com/PMD-Products%C2%AE-Injection-Pressure-Tester/dp/B0053NZXQA/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1471130933&sr=1-8&keywords=fuel+pressure+gauge

This way you do not have to bother your mechanic and you have the gauge to use any time fuel pressures need to be checked.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
I don't know what a IAC valve is. I called my mechanic and he said it should have pressure if I get out and push the pin after turning it off. Taking it in Monday to hook it up to check the pressure.

IAC means Idle Air Control. It is a small valve next to the throttle body that controls idle speed by letting air pass through it.

On my 06 Escalade I was experiencing slow turn/inconsistant starting. Thought the AAA battery was failing so I called them to come test. It passed, so did the alternator. So I replaced the starter with a duralast gold new. Amazing difference. Clearly the old starter had been going for a long time, i just didn't realize it. Only problems I have had in the past were solenoids, all or nothing starts. In this case it was a tired motor after 10 years. Now it starts so easy and cranks so fast I'm assuming this new starter may help extend the life of the battery.

Well I had the fuel pressure tested this morning. With the truck running it carries 48-50lbs of pressure. Soon as you turn the key off the pressure goes to 0 within about 15 seconds. I guess next monday I will be getting a new fuel pump installed. Pump they said was $268 and $100 to install it. This will fix my gas gauge also I hope.

Well I got my fuel pump changed today. It was the problem. It even fixed my gas gauge that's been messed up for over the last 117,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back