Permanent Motorcycle Chain Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't buy it. O-Ringed chains have lubricant sealed inside the pins/bushings of each link. So lubricating those chains really means keeping the O-Rings from drying cracking or wearing and so leaking. Most people that have problems with chain wear are the overly Aynul type and keep the chain too tight or wash it down regularly with solvents to "Keep It Spotless".

Quote:
The excitement of taking a nice drive is often tarnished by the fact that a lot of effort will need to be put into cleaning sprayed chain grease off the rims, frame and even clothing afterward. This is the most annoying disadvantage of conventional chain lubrication, not to mention the fact that the chain is full of collected dust and grime...

Sounds like they were using the wrong chain lube to me. A good chain lube doesn't fling, collect dust or create grime.

Quote:
Lubrication is based on the abrasion of the lubricant via the movement of the chain. This abrasion transfers the lubricant to the chain. It’s distributed over the entire chain and chain wheels thanks to its good creeping ability. This creates a thin, permanent lubricating film within the entire system.

I'm having trouble understanding this. Graphite films get worn away under contact and the fact that it needs to be mounted for constant application (which would eventually run out and need replacing) seems to contradict the "permanent" claim of it.

Quote:
The lubrication points of the chain that are crucial for its service life are sealed
with the O-/X-rings and are located between the chain pins and the sleeve, i.e.
where no chain sprays can reach.
During the extended tests, however, it was noted that the fine lubrication dust was
also distributed on the inside through the round 0.5 millimeter-wide gap between
the roller and chain lug.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this and how it would be a good thing for fine dust to get in between and past the o-ring.

How does the detritus from essentially a solid wear plate "creep"? Graphite is non-polar and does not evenly distribute itself over a surface without a carrier to do so. I would be surprised to find any coating on the underside of these chains.

Quote:
Light surface rust on rollers and lugs is rubbed off as the component passes by the
solid lubricant. Surface rust may form on chains that are not surface treated
(nickel-plated or otherwise coated) in wet conditions over a longer period of time.
With surface-treated chains, only minimal corrosion could be expected after a
longer period of time.

So this system does not protect against rust, it just removes it as it forms. Which means the chain is constantly losing mass, always rusting, and continuously losing tensile strength.

I obviously have a bias on this topic and I'm sure there will be people who love a system like this. I don't think I'll be getting one any time soon though.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
I don't buy it. O-Ringed chains have lubricant sealed inside the pins/bushings of each link. So lubricating those chains really means keeping the O-Rings from drying cracking or wearing and so leaking. Most people that have problems with chain wear are the overly Aynul type and keep the chain too tight or wash it down regularly with solvents to "Keep It Spotless".

Where the plates contact can benefit in the long term from lubrication too, plus there is always the rust preventative properties of most chain lubes. That rust prevention probably goes further to extending chain life on an o-ring chain than all the other properties combined.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

Sounds like they were using the wrong chain lube to me. A good chain lube doesn't fling, collect dust or create grime.

Which chain lube can I get that doesn't fling, collect dust, or create grime?

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
I am pretty happy with my MotoBriiz, if a person seeks a super-simple, mounted, automatic oiler.

What lubricant do you use with it and does it fling much?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
I am pretty happy with my MotoBriiz, if a person seeks a super-simple, mounted, automatic oiler.

What lubricant do you use with it and does it fling much?

I've used 75W90 gear oil, Redline MTL (70W80, IIRC?), motor oil, and I even tried one of the ShockProof gear oils from Redline. The ShockProof is NOT a good choice. The solids in it clog up the small orifices and/or the lube pad matrix. The rest work well. One chooses based upon season (outside temp) and how much lube one wants on the chain. Fling is determined mainly by what you use.

Pretty much any of the solid lubricant or spray grease types should not fling or collect dirt and grime if they are applied correctly. I find that most of people's problems with chain lubes come from over-applying them.

There's absolutely no such thing as a permanent lube in this application.
To think other wise is like howling at the moon.
The MC chain drive is the truest definition of a total loss lubrication system.

The lube will always need to be replenished somehow.
The main give away is when the chain starts to sound a bit clicky/tickety when wheeling the bike around.
It's the only reason why other drive systems(shaft and belt) exist. to remove the need to replenish the chain lube periodically.

A well lubed chain reduces parasitic drag, excessive wear and tear and corrosion.
It also helps to improve shift quality thereby reducing gearbox shift mechanism wear and tear.

Last edited:

Pretty much any of the solid lubricant or spray grease types should not fling or collect dirt and grime if they are applied correctly. I find that most of people's problems with chain lubes come from over-applying them.

Absolutely correct.

I have found Motul Road chain lube to be a very good alternative to the original Dupont chain lube which I still have a small stash of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454

Where the plates contact can benefit in the long term from lubrication too, plus there is always the rust preventative properties of most chain lubes. That rust prevention probably goes further to extending chain life on an o-ring chain than all the other properties combined.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back