Any opinions of Kelly tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a set on my van (215/70/15) and they seemed to be a good tire. Comfortable, low noise, pretty good and even tread wear, etc.

However after a bit over 1/2 of the wear rating three of the tires experienced belt separation. Two of them failed on a single long road trip 400 miles apart!

Therefore I have to question their internal construction quality and do not plan on using them again for now.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Goodyear owns and makes them. They are a budget tire. It's a dieing brand name.

I wondered why they had Kelly AND Dunlop.

Back in the late 90's/early 2000's I ran them on my Thunderbird. They were average in all conditions. Not amazing, not awful. Price was good, tread wear was mediocre, something like 30K-40K.

Haven't run them in over a decade though. Went to Michelins/Generals/Continentals for most things.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
It's chinese but won't love you long time.

The ones I am looking at are Made in USA. Specifically the EDGE HP. The other ones Goodyear makes in my side 225/50R16 are made in Chile. Having said that, I haven't seen an actual EDGE HP that's in 225/50R16. And of course, over the phone Goodyear / Kelly can't tell me where the tire is made and nobody has it in stock (always at the warehouse, never in the store). Half way considering downsizing my rims to the 15" OE ones that were available for the car for better tire choices.

It's either that or a Chinese or Indonesian tire or BF Goodrigh/Kokohama with those unsightly cracks. And the tires will rot before they wear out, I don't drive this car much.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
And of course, over the phone Goodyear / Kelly can't tell me where the tire is made

They pulled this same thing with me. I called about a specific tire and the woman on the phone told me she had no way to find out.

Clearly, some people there have the information regarding where the tire is made. Other tire companies have provided me with this info.

That experience is not pushing me towards buying their tires.

Kelly isn't bad for a cheap tire. Most of them seem to be US-made, but they could possibly come from Chile.

They're not as good as more premium tires, but I'd easily take Kelly over the Chinese alternatives at that price.

What size are you looking for?

Quote:
....It's either that... or BF Goodrigh/Kokohama with those unsightly cracks.....

I've owned three sets of Yokos, two Avid Touring S (made in US) and Geolander HTS for light truck and took them close to treadwear limits and never experienced noticeable sidewall cracks afaik. Possible to have different anecdotal experiences, since it was mentioned just sharing mine.

As for topic, can't help much. Buy all my tires from DT and Kelly not one sold there, or at least not that I've noticed being sold there. I seem to remember they are/were made by GY.

I put some on the 99 Accord about 10 years ago. Received a great deal on them at the time. They were 15 inch wheels and $250 installed. The tire shop forgot to include the labor charge but still honored the price. The guy that sold them said he had them on his car and liked them. He did mention they were a little loud and I agree with him. Everything else about the tire was good and I would consider buying them again. Sure beat the Firestones I replaced that were a 60k tire and only ran them 30k. I checked with them about a prorate and it was not worth it at $93 per tire. The Kellys were rated at 40k and I went 50k on them.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What size are you looking for?

225/50R16

Not a lot of choices in that size. It's the optional larger size for an Alero and probably Grand Am. The smart thing would be to go to a JY and pick up the normal 15" sized rims which use 215/60R15 tires which are cheaper and in stock at a lot more tires places.

225/50R16

ok

225/50-16 is still a good size with plenty of options
smile.gif

Falken Ziex ZE950 (Thailand)
Falken Azenis FK450 (Thailand)
Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 (South Korea)
Cooper CS5 Ultra (USA)
Cooper CS3 (USA)
Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus (USA)

There's also the General G-Max, which can come from Germany, USA, or Mexico. However, it is a directional tire. As is the (US-made) BFG Comp2 AS.

The Kelly Edge HP is probably a decent tire for the price, though.

Actually Goodyear finally got back with me and emailed me they are manufactured in our Fayetteville plant. I assume that's in North Carolina.

Yes, Fayetteville, NC.

i got four kelly edge a/s tires installed on my 2013 passat s for $300 total a month ago. so far so good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jstert
i got four kelly edge a/s tires installed on my 2013 passat s for $300 total a month ago. so far so good.

Where did you get that price from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back