About percentage of esters in MOTUL 300V , X-lite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: priler

Thank you for your both posts!

And what about Noack=11 of MOTUL X-lite 0W-30?
All other known PAO-oils 0W-30 have Noack in range 7-9.5, and only known HC-oils 0W-30 (like Petro-Canada) have Noack>=10.

Last edited:
I just check out the Elf/Total MSDS and you're right. They pretty much tell you "The product is made from synthetic base oils (Polyalfaolefins)."

http://www.quickfds.com/cmt_bin/wfds-vie...f=&Session=

It does look like even Euro companies, or at least Motul anyways, are starting to incorporate Group 3 base stocks into their formulations, but it doesn't seem to be as prevalent or in the same quantity as oils sold in America.

Motul X-Lite still has produced some stellar UOAs.

On a side note, the MSDS for the Elf Excellium 0W30, only lists PAO as a hazardous material. So are we to assume that the carrier oil is an Ester, since there's no mention of mineral oils, and Esters can be biodegradable?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Izb
Originally Posted By: priler

Thank you for your both posts!

And what about Noack=11 of MOTUL X-lite 0W-30?
All other known PAO-oils 0W-30 have Noack in range 7-9.5, and only known HC-oils 0W-30 (like Petro-Canada) have Noack>=10.

where did you get that number? was it a fallible human? if you called someone to ask,it is best to get info from a second and third source to confirm. motul is really bad about providing specs,even at the distributor level.you have to really dig....and even then.....

that number doesn't seem right to me.

if you have doubts about x-lite 0w-30,look for something else.i'm not a motul sales person. look into amsoil 0w-30 sso or RL 0w-30 or pentospeed 0w-30 VS.

of the ones above and compared to many others,the pentospeed would be my first choice,even before the motul.i believe it is exceptional.coincidently,someone recently asked me about 0w-30 oil choices and the pentospeed was the first to pop to my memory files because it's specs,approvals impressed me and i'm sure it's not HC.in fact,pentosin list the oils that are HC on there website. note the lower VI(comparatively) on their 0w-30 in combination with the other specs.that's more than likely achieved through there base oils rather than any boosting.

oh,and one more thing,the trimer dodecene 8-12%,does not necessarily mean the oil contains 8-12% of PAO.they are simply giving information about a hazardous component WITHIN the oil as it applies to where the msds was issued.(considered hazardous in that country)

well,that might explain it.i would confirm from a few other sources.

i recieved an e-mail the other day from a company that i was asking several details about on one of their oils,but they sent me the wrong info,literally.i had asked about a 5w-40 and got info on their 5w-30,even though i was very clear.

by the way,fuchs makes good oils.

old i see but a lot of good info for sure, thanks for taking the time! always looking to learn about lubrication found themotoroilevaluator had some good info, they noted how some specs are easily "pumped up" with cheap additives + noack along with HTHS are important + not easily pumped. oils with a higher VI but lower HTHS are a give away + of course how these new oils perform after a thousand or so miles can be quite different especially when its in a shared gearbox-engine like most motorcycles use

There is a measurement of a Russian laboratory which claims only 1-3% ester.
How realistic is this?
The man at the support says this is not true, but does not want to make any statements on the ester content (company secret).
Was the ester content of double ester to estercore really reduced?
Is there any other publicly available measurements which deal with the ester content besides the measurement results of the Russian laboratory?

Stefan

PS: Sorry for my english.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back