Does Shell V Power contain ethanol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

The consensus is that modern Ethanol containing fuels are not good for old carbed cars, forming deposits in carburetors and eating away at fuel lines, i just noticed that Shell has opened a gas station near me, so far i've been using BP Ultimate 98 octane because it doesn't contain Ethanol and the car runs better on it than regular 95 RON, so does anybody know if V-Power contains ethanol? i think it's slightly more expensive but gas prices have gone down about 1.25 Euro/litre ( around 5 Dollars a gallon ).

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
so does anybody know if V-Power contains ethanol?

I think it really depends on your location. Over here in the US, V-Power does contain ethanol.

It doesn't here, in Saskatchewan, but obviously that will depend upon the jurisdiction in question and their ethanol regulations. Your best bet would be to ask Shell themselves about your jurisdiction and/or the station in question.

Put a little fuel 100-200cc in a glass or HDPE clear container, note volume.
Next, Add a couple cc of water, stir and let settle for 10mins. If it has Ethanol (or methanol) the 2cc water will cause it to drop out and sink to bottom. Now note remaining volume. If less that is volume of Alcohol.

yes hard to say, as it depends on your location and how it's ethanol mandate was handled, here in the usa, each state was allowed to handle their own workings and has led to the differences from state to state. i'm not criticizing but it has become a bit of a mess.

as mentioned you will need to research your governments mandate and how it has handled the ethanol regulation. best of luck.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Put a little fuel 100-200cc in a glass or HDPE clear container, note volume.
Next, Add a couple cc of water, stir and let settle for 10mins. If it has Ethanol (or methanol) the 2cc water will cause it to drop out and sink to bottom. Now note remaining volume. If less that is volume of Alcohol.

this is what i recommend...test

Last edited:
Ok i've found that it contains 5% across the EU, will this be safe for a dinosaur like my car?

Ohio has had ethanol in the fuel for over 20 years. I've never had a fuel related issue. That includes cars, motorcycles, boats, and power equipment. The fear of 10% ethanol is greatly over blown.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I think it really depends on your location. Over here in the US, V-Power does contain ethanol.

It WI it does not have ethanol.

Originally Posted By: Srt20

Was this actually verified/tested somehow or does it actually say so on the pump? Just curious. Over here in MI it says all grades contain up to 10% Ethanol.

It should say on the pump itself. Here, it is non-ethanol and is also about 20 cents a gallon higher.

It doesn't day it on the pump, i think the regular BP 95 RON here does contain ethanol too but it doesn't say it anywhere.
So is 5% ok for an old carbed car like mine?

Last edited:
as to whether the pumps are labeled or not, there again depends on how each country wrote their mandate..i can speak only for usa that i have done research for.

here our government said we will have a mandate of so much ethanol in all our fuel and how each state meets it is up to them, ie in which fuel and how they will label.
so for your individual state one must research their mandate and read up on how they are fullfilling the federal mandate and whether labeling is required. i must say that the language and complexity of the mandates is quite lengthy and you will find some "trickiness" shall i say....this is why things are kind of messy.

Last edited:
Check your national and region,whatever for regulations concerning gasoline with ethanol. In our state, labeling is required on pumps dispensing ethanol blends.I'd like to be able to use 98 octane without ethanol but that isn't available anywhere in this country that I know of.

Originally Posted By: Srt20

Was this actually verified/tested somehow or does it actually say so on the pump? Just curious. Over here in MI it says all grades contain up to 10% Ethanol.

91 oct is ethanol free here.
93 oct has ethanol.

Every gas station I've ever been to in WI is labeled on each pump what has ethanol and what is ethanol-free.

Though not all states label. Wyoming I know does not label.

yes each state can be different as to which octane fuel has the ethanol and as to whether they label or not...

but just because the pump may be labeled as ethanol free, does that mean it is really ethanol free?

do the test every once in a while.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
yes each state can be different as to which octane fuel has the ethanol and as to whether they label or not...

but just because the pump may be labeled as ethanol free, does that mean it is really ethanol free?

do the test every once in a while.

I don't know.

But if you advertise as ethanol free, and you get caught with ethanol in it, that is false advertising. Fines and lawsuits.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Check your national and region,whatever for regulations concerning gasoline with ethanol. In our state, labeling is required on pumps dispensing ethanol blends.I'd like to be able to use 98 octane without ethanol but that isn't available anywhere in this country that I know of.

98 RON that is, 98 ron = 93 us aki

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

For us, EPA does not require labeling on 10%, only higher blends. States may have their own specific requirements. As far as Europe, I would suspect a similar set up, with each country having their own stricter labeling requirements. Checking with the department of the government that sets the regulations regarding fuels would answer the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back